360 biz from the Artist-turned CEO perspective

beatarama

Seeing as how many artists these days are becoming CEO's, I'm sure these same artists when in the shoes of a ceo/exec would have to make the same type of decision that a label head would make.

So for all of these artists that complain about 360 deals, I wonder what they would do when they finally decide to go to the next level after some success (or if they failed as an artist) and was now thinking to sign talent...they'd probably do the same thing.

Many people assume going into business means success right away. Show me a successful businessman & I will show you failure in his past. Success and failure go hand in hand. Jordan even got cut from his highschool team. Signing an artist and running an independent label is hard work. Mistakes will be made, lessons will be learned. People forget Rap music was started by independent labels. Most Americans have been conditioned to be employees their whole lives. We've been bombarded as kids with ads to spend as consumers and subliminal messages to work for someone else.

Last edited:
Many people assume going into business means success right away. Show me a successful businessman & I will show you failure in his past. Success and failure go hand in hand. Jordan even got cut from his highschool team. Signing an artist and running an independent label is hard work. Mistakes will be made, lessons will be learned. People forget Rap music was started by independent labels. Most Americans have been conditioned to be employees their whole lives. We've been bombarded as kids with ads to spend as consumers and subliminal messages to work for someone else.

What does this have to do with the thread?

What does this have to do with the thread?

Read the quote:

So for all of these artists that complain about 360 deals, I wonder what they would do when they finally decide to go to the next level after some success (or if they failed as an artist) and was now thinking to sign talent...they'd probably do the same thing.

Why is a 360 deal the only option to sign talent? Working hard as an independent can be just as effective. We've already agreed that the 360 only truly benefits a small portion of artists anyway.

Last edited:
In my opinion, as someone who's starting an indie label... I'd happily offer an artist a 360 deal, IF I thought it was right for the artists and I...

For example, someone asked me recently why I didn't offer them a 360 deal and I told him that at the moment I haven't got the resources to support such an offer. Business have a duty to maintain "ethics" and all that bs. I don't want to step on anyone's toes as I grow the label. I know I will anyway, so I'm trying not to as much as possible.

The difference between me and the big labels? Neither of us can validate the 360 deal for our artists, but the majors do it cause they can get away with it. If I did it, no one would want to sign with me.

When I can say I earn my share in every aspect of a 360 deal, I'll offer it. Trust and loyalty of a brand is what's most important to me.

Last edited:
Back