Need to memorize some information?

Olie

Just thinking how useful this would have been when i started learning about my daw and in learning some of my music theory (it might have stuck a bit better) and i figured i would share. Since learning it i havn't forgot a single name which is pretty useful. Enjoy!

I like using colors when it comes to memory -_-

Can you expand on that? Isn't that just a more basic form of visualisation which is what derren (and others) suggest? Don't you run out of colours for huge amounts of information or are you saying you have synthesia?

Can you expand on that? Isn't that just a more basic form of visualisation which is what derren (and others) suggest? Don't you run out of colours for huge amounts of information or are you saying you have synthesia?

synthesia :-D

Yes and yes to the initial questions... the colors are honestly tactile [touch] and even redolent [smell] to me. Hearing a word stimulates a color in my mind... hearing musical chords and notes stimulates a color(s). I believe all of this contributes to my memory. Expanding further on the video, I also tend to group things... perhaps to subconsciously and more easily organize a memory set. Not group like a story, but group in other arbitrary ways.

synthesia :-D

Yes and yes to the initial questions... the colors are honestly tactile [touch] and even redolent [smell] to me. Hearing a word stimulates a color in my mind... hearing musical chords and notes stimulates a color(s). I believe all of this contributes to my memory. Expanding further on the video, I also tend to group things... perhaps to subconsciously and more easily organize a memory set. Not group like a story, but group in other arbitrary ways.

Sounds a lot like what this video encourages people to do. Engage all senses with memorizing things.

Is that video safe?.......I mean I don't want to end up clucking like a chicken in a polka-dot dress while assassinating some head of state.

Best (or worst, depending on temperament) way to improve memory is by learning a musical instrument.

Speaking from experience, its tough. I have a hard time recalling all the songs I've learned. I guess, as soon as I've learned them, they get purged from memory once the next tune is assigned. I have been making an effort to memorize musical concepts and whatnot by repetition (writing them over and over daily until I can recite them), this was how I learned the cycle of 4ths and whathaveyou. Right now, I am working on memorizing my drop 2 chord/scale/arpeggio fingerings on the first string set.

My memory is mostly photographic. and all works like a movie: if someone ask me directions to a certain place, I imagine a camera going through the path to that place.

But I'm terrible with numbers, dates and names.

Back