Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Is rock dead???

Forbidden_Silence is offline Abrahadabra
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Last edited by Forbidden_Silence; 07-24-2010 at 09:28 PM. Reason: fixed youtube bbcode
    [B]Think outside the box, collapse the box, and take a f--king sharp knife to it[/B] [SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/faerychild/winds-of-damnation[/SOUNDCLOUD]

NoVA Entertainment is offline Insane FP Patriot
    Thanks
    Tell me your definition of dead and I will get you to answer your own question...

Personally, I believe no music ever dies. It's born and then it's there forever for anyone to just listen to. I don't care how much money there is in it, or what's number one on the charts or even if it's made anymore. If it existed...it's still here. It's just up to you whether or not you like it enough to go find it or make more...

Forbidden_Silence is offline Abrahadabra
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NoVA Entertainment View Post
    Tell me your definition of dead and I will get you to answer your own question...

Personally, I believe no music ever dies. It's born and then it's there forever for anyone to just listen to. I don't care how much money there is in it, or what's number one on the charts or even if it's made anymore. If it existed...it's still here. It's just up to you whether or not you like it enough to go find it or make more...
    This. The answer to every question about whether or not a style is dead.
    [B]Think outside the box, collapse the box, and take a f--king sharp knife to it[/B] [SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/faerychild/winds-of-damnation[/SOUNDCLOUD]

X_Sentinel is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Rock aint dead. Its an underground genre so itll never be huge. People love to dance to music so rnb/hiphop/pop/dnb is perfect for that, rock is for people who like to sing to music, play to it, go see it live and that will never be as big a fanbase.

My favorite metal band, Tool, are pretty unknown tbh, but that didnt stop their album lateralus reaching the top ten in many countries.

Rock isnt dead, its just hidden

mad ham is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Rock is definetly not an underground genre. Tool was/is a fairly popular band, all their albums sell a million plus in the States.

If you know most rock is just stale and rehashing itself, you listen to new bands because you enjoy their sound not because you're hearing something new and unique, no matter what the critics tell you.

engines of necessity is offline Registered Noisemaker
    Thanks
    I do see a certain degree of resistance to new artists in rock music. Most of the bands rattled off in this forum are at least 10 years in, and have been established, successful acts prior to the current year (had better album sales for past efforts as well.) The problem is you get the hardcore fanboys who will NEVER listen to anything other than their core favorites. And then you've got the underground kids who will only dig a band UNTIL they get a certain degree of success, then they throw them under the bus as "sell-outs."
    I think this has always been the problem with rock music though. It's born of rebellion and has a stigma that once you become successful, you become part of the established order and must be rebelled against.
    As long as we don't start singing about cash/cars/hoes we'll be alright though (notwithstanding Nickelback...bastards)
    engines of necessity - industrial groove rock
    www.reverbnation.com/enginesofnecessity

W.A.I.S. Krew is offline !The Future Of Music!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by engines of necessity View Post
    I do see a certain degree of resistance to new artists in rock music. Most of the bands rattled off in this forum are at least 10 years in, and have been established, successful acts prior to the current year (had better album sales for past efforts as well.) The problem is you get the hardcore fanboys who will NEVER listen to anything other than their core favorites. And then you've got the underground kids who will only dig a band UNTIL they get a certain degree of success, then they throw them under the bus as "sell-outs."
    I think this has always been the problem with rock music though. It's born of rebellion and has a stigma that once you become successful, you become part of the established order and must be rebelled against.
    As long as we don't start singing about cash/cars/hoes we'll be alright though (notwithstanding Nickelback...bastards)

totally agree about people following a band to a certain point in the "success" road, you know of any new bands i should check out

engines of necessity is offline Registered Noisemaker
    Thanks
    @W.A.I.S.: Unfortunately I'm kind of stuck in the past, listening to Al Green, Rod Stewart, P-Funk and Gary Neuman in heavy rotation at the moment...but when people ask for my opinion on modern rock my go-to band has been Muse (although even they've been around for a minute.) I also see some good things coming out of Silversun Pickups (but they're on their third album or so, and I HATE their name.) Metric (also not new to the game) and to a lesser, more narrowly-poppy sense, MGMT.
    engines of necessity - industrial groove rock
    www.reverbnation.com/enginesofnecessity

valverec is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    I don't think it's dead, but it's time for it to evolve. It's been stuck in stagnation for the last decade, at least. I think the rise of poppy rock, and the A&R Rep created pretty bands, has done tons of damage to rock music.

brianjohns is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    hi there,

rock will never die, some get close to rock in electro and othe

Cheers, Batman

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Hi there

think that rock will never die, some get close to it in electro by this day.

I like MGMT, they really in between, still NIN - one the best so far !

Cheers Batman

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information