Fathers of Electronic Music?

Going further back we have Pierre Schaeffer (French school and musique concrete (using sampled sounds to create new music)), Karlheinz Stockhausen (German school - electronic oscillators and other devices) and Luciano Berio (Italian school - electronic oscillators and other devices).

It was in Schaeffer's studio that Varese created the electronic components of his electronic and orchestral work Deserts during the years 1950-54

We can go back even further with John cage's explorations into all things technological in the late 1930's

Ferrucio Busoni is seen as the godfather of all things associated with noise music

(I studied all of this (and more) for my year 12 music extension project in 1980)

what frightens me is that people aren't aware what electronic music sounded like "before dubstep"

no parents or older siblings with music collections?

never hear Human League or Yaz on an oldies or 80s station?

Last edited:
Going further back we have Pierre Schaeffer (French school and musique concrete (using sampled sounds to create new music)), Karlheinz Stockhausen (German school - electronic oscillators and other devices) and Luciano Berio (Italian school - electronic oscillators and other devices).

It was in Schaeffer's studio that Varese created the electronic components of his electronic and orchestral work Deserts during the years 1950-54

We can go back even further with John cage's explorations into all things technological in the late 1930's

Ferrucio Busoni is seen as the godfather of all things associated with noise music

(I studied all of this (and more) for my year 12 music extension project in 1980)

That's really interesting. Thanks for the reply and info, I've never really thought abuot this until yesterday, going to go into more about this, it's really interesting.

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

what frightens me is that people aren't aware what electronic music sounded like "before dubstep"

no parents or older siblings with music collections?

never hear Human League or Yaz on an oldies or 80s station?

I'm pretty sure those listeners you are talking about don't even know that there are more genres to Electronic music than Dubstep. Ignorance to learn more..

Never heard of Human League, Saw a documentary about Yaz in class before though

Back