Thread: Are you concerned with popularity or originality?

Thanks

Are you concerned with popularity or originality?

Sign in to disable this ad
    This is a question for anyone trying to get their music in the hands of the masses - either by being an artist or a producer. When creating music, are you concerned with popularity or originality? In other words, do you go in with the intent to create music that is relative to what's hot/popular or, are you simply interested in making music that you feel and let everyone gravitate to it?

Thanks
    Popular trends pass with time. Originality stays forever.
    Last edited by Epsilon-144; 10-12-2017 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks
    I am an artist and my chief concern is doing me as being anyone other than myself is hard. I have the Big Daddy Kane view on why trends shouldn't be followed: "The first thing I would try to teach them [aspiring rap artists] would be originality. Whenever you are following a trend, trends come and go, so when that trend is gone you’re gone. You’re basing your career on a bangin’ beat and a catchy hook. So you know what you just did? You just made your producer a star.”
    "Rap is only one end of a whole spectrum of verbal play and virtuosity. Rap is geared for aural pleasure." Rita Dove

"Talent is pursued interest." Bob Ross

Thanks
    I agree - following a trend is not a long term solution but, being original means the path is long... Very long. I've been at this music thing for awhile now and finding like-minded fans is a task.. In some ways, I'm envious of those who can simply jump on trap beat and make a song that has absolutely no meaning and have it go viral.. At the very least, their name is in someones conversation..

Thanks
    ya, a think a little bit of both can be ideal. It's good to ride the trend waves when they come, but also keep your own unique style. This way you can adjust and adapt when one trend ends and new trend begins, ...and you're also strongly independent and self-sustaining. The trends can boost hype around a particular sound in the short run (same year or two), but creativity with a unique style will maintain your art over the long run (6+ years down the road).
    Last edited by Epsilon-144; 10-12-2017 at 06:21 PM.

Thanks
    ​Poularity.

Thanks
    I just do what I feel at the moment

Thanks
    i think theres a balance between creating something that expresses how you sound and on something everyone wants to here

Thread Information