Why you will NEVER make a living selling beats.

"In fact, if you have read this far, I already know several things about you;

1. You are insecure.
2. You are tired / desperate and looking for any reason to corroborate your logic.
3. You are lazy. " ruptured

LOL...this is definitely a great subject that needs to be discussed; not everyone is going to be the next "fill in the name of the hottest producer." From the realist perspective (no, not pessimistic perspective) this just makes sense...i am not quitting my day job anytime soon!! I make music because I enjoy it...that's not to say I won't work my hardest to try to be the next "fill in the name of the hottest producer." LOL!!!

The music business has no clear path to move upward so it's based on handshakes, people skills and luck.

You could've learned to play classical piano since you were 5...

and DJ Mustard will lay down a beat like Rack City and take your spot with the least amount of effort.

... other careers have more defined paths, they are boring and tiring... but at the end of the day you have some luxuries that people are waiting to get on don't have. You'll have nice clothes, car, lifestyle... but your days may not be all you want them to be BUT there has to be some type of balance...

You can say "I don't want a boring 9 to 5... psst" and eat off of the value menu and make beats and cuss in the WSHH comments section or lay up on some chick that works.

or... you can say "This boring 9 to 5 lets me have 500 cable channels, fly suits, closets full of clothes, steak and lobster, tickets to anything, any piece of music gear I fancy..."

People that can't / don't want to do one normally try to discourage other from doing it also.

Its as simple as this:

If you don't believe you will make a living off of producing/making beats and act on that mindset, you won't. SIMPLE. AS. THAT.

TBH its not anyone's place to tell you what you can or can't do..won't or will do. Some of the most successful people are at where they are at because they didn't listen to the negativity coming from others, they stayed focused.

Follow your passion, believe in yourself and stay focused and consistent.

DON'T LET OTHER PEOPLE SHAPE YOUR REALITY FOR YOU, SHAPE YOUR OWN.

forget about likelihoods or % chances of you being successful, that's a weak way to think. 'Hustle hard, hustle hustle real hard' (lol)...and you will go somewhere. Remember to keep your mindset positive too, negative thoughts create negative results...the world is your mirror.

Pretty much the best thing said in this thread.

Just because you've had trouble making a living off of selling your beats and stuff, doesn't mean shit. You're one guy out of many, many producers who are much more talented and smart than you are, there are probably tons who are way less talented than you as well. I'm very new to this all so I have no real contribution to this thread but you don't know everything man, there are plenty of people out there that make a living selling there beats.

There was a dude here in Seattle getting $10,000 a beat and his beats weren't that good (to me)... he made his name as a DJ and did a lot of after parties for big name artist and I guess he hustled beats to them. I think one of 'em sold pretty well for E-40 and they kept giving him $10,000 in hopes another one would take off.... I don't even think he makes beats anymore.

I know a guy that gets $800 a night to DJ... and he plays mix .mp3's from a laptop - does no actual DJ'ing... he started out getting $75... he developed a following at those $75 parties (he actually had records and CD's then)... now he has 3,000 FaceBook friends and he tells them where he's going to be and gets a bunch of people in VIP if they hit him back on FB before his gig. He's probably getting more than $800 a night now, I remember he quit the last club that was paying him $800.00 to file his fingernails while the mp3's play... He DJ's right off of his iTunes playlist.

Back on topic....

See this right here just proves that there are no certain ways of "getting on". Talent, buisness plan, connections is really good strategies, but some people forget the biggest factor.......LUCK.

Some people are just happened to be lucky to get spotted, that why you need to keep going. If your not lucky that day, try again some other time, you dont know when the odds are with you.

Last edited:
Nobody wants to be told not to dream which is why this thread will constantly be under attack but the facts remain: Truly getting "on" (like most desire) can be likened to winning the lottery. With odds like that, one could say most other successes in the music industry will probably not compare to the progress and security of following a more "traditional" career path.

AND

Since everyone's definition of success is different, if you do decide to pursue a career in music, do yourself a favor and make up your mind early so you can gauge your progress realistically and also have more "detour" time just in case you have to full the plug on the career path you chose.

Either way, be smart and realistic in your choices and good luck on your journey.

:cheers:

Of course you can make money selling beats if you get signed or roll with a rising artist.

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

Well I suppose that might be making money from royalties or actual track sales, but whatever if you make enough money doing it you can live off it.

If you are really an artist, you'll know that making a living off your art is an absolute gift, so don't bank on it.

Back