Why you will NEVER make a living selling beats.

Ironically the OP comes off looking the most insecure of all.

There was a dude here in Seattle getting $10,000 a beat and his beats weren't that good (to me)... he made his name as a DJ and did a lot of after parties for big name artist and I guess he hustled beats to them. I think one of 'em sold pretty well for E-40 and they kept giving him $10,000 in hopes another one would take off.... I don't even think he makes beats anymore.

I know a guy that gets $800 a night to DJ... and he plays mix .mp3's from a laptop - does no actual DJ'ing... he started out getting $75... he developed a following at those $75 parties (he actually had records and CD's then)... now he has 3,000 FaceBook friends and he tells them where he's going to be and gets a bunch of people in VIP if they hit him back on FB before his gig. He's probably getting more than $800 a night now, I remember he quit the last club that was paying him $800.00 to file his fingernails while the mp3's play... He DJ's right off of his iTunes playlist.

Back on topic....

Last edited by a moderator:
Ironically the OP comes off looking the most insecure of all.
are u using ur "depression" to get ur rocks off by shocking people, and have them feel low as well? thats what it seems like... if i didnt know about the depression, i wouldnt come to this conclusion... but clearly i could tell something is bothering u.

da relic

how??? not sayin ur wrong just somethin i didnt catch from it

Basically deflecting his own insecurities onto everybody else. He feels he'll never make a living off selling his beats, so he wants other people to feel the same way. Either that or the op want's FP's attention for whatever reason. The truth is a lot of people who are trying to do this will not make a living off their beats. Thread is pointless though. Just my observational opinion.

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

are u using ur "depression" to get ur rocks off by shocking people, and have them feel low as well? thats what it seems like... if i didnt know about the depression, i wouldnt come to this conclusion... but clearly i could tell something is bothering u.

da relic

Me or the OP???

The assumptions you make in the beginning of this "article" are sweeping generalizations. Many of the producers I know (myself included) do it because we enjoy it; we are all pursuing other careers and expect to not live off music. However, you put your feelers out because you never know, and when things do come up, it is a pleasant surprise.

And for those younger folks who still have that dream, is it such a bad thing? Yes, some people are lazy, desperate, busy, etc., but does that necessarily mean they won't find something beneficial from their efforts (however fruitless)? I started out with the same hopes about music, but found that I was happier just making music and not worrying about where it ended up. That wouldn't have happened without the initial ("impossible") dream.

For others, this initial passion might lead to a different career in music, as an engineer or many, many other music-related jobs.

I know that you have this idea that the people who read your article that "get it" will benefit from the things that you've written, but in actuality, you might be preventing a lot of young, talented people out there from seriously pursuing something they love and might take with them they're whole lives (even if their career doesn't involve music).

Basically deflecting his own insecurities onto everybody else. He feels he'll never make a living off selling his beats, so he wants other people to feel the same way.

exactly. There's just too much negativity on this site..just black clouds all around which is why i'm just about done with this website. It's useless...people don't even help each other. Only talk shit.

The assumptions you make in the beginning of this "article" are sweeping generalizations. Many of the producers I know (myself included) do it because we enjoy it; we are all pursuing other careers and expect to not live off music. However, you put your feelers out because you never know, and when things do come up, it is a pleasant surprise.

And for those younger folks who still have that dream, is it such a bad thing? Yes, some people are lazy, desperate, busy, etc., but does that necessarily mean they won't find something beneficial from their efforts (however fruitless)? I started out with the same hopes about music, but found that I was happier just making music and not worrying about where it ended up. That wouldn't have happened without the initial ("impossible") dream.

For others, this initial passion might lead to a different career in music, as an engineer or many, many other music-related jobs.

I know that you have this idea that the people who read your article that "get it" will benefit from the things that you've written, but in actuality, you might be preventing a lot of young, talented people out there from seriously pursuing something they love and might take with them they're whole lives (even if their career doesn't involve music).

+10....

I think if you don't have a passion for music you won't be successful anyhow...

One great quotes: "Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.”

If your doing music to look "cool" then you are DEFINITELY in the wrong career field.

I'm still trying to figure out why the OP thinks people on here are depressed? Crawl in a hole and kill yourself Ruptured...YOU are a black cloud.

Once dude said he was depressed, I knew it was a wrap for this thread

That "article" is the biggest load of shit I've ever read... pseudo-intellectual garbage.

Once dude said he was depressed, I knew it was a wrap for this thread

hahahhha

i was waiting for something to hit a nerve like other articles written in this way do (the whole i bet you're this person and in this situation.) i was hoping to have my dreams crushed and i was disappointed ):

Man....

FP is brutal, I'm never starting another thread...

One way you'll never make a living selling beats is to...

quit making beats.

Crazy stuff happens. I remember this girl that sings emailed me for a beat and she had a meeting with a major label the next day. I remixed her song and she put it on her promo CD. She said she found my "EMAIL ADDRESS" in somebody's soundclick comments... she hadn't even heard my music.

... she didn't get signed but it was pretty crazy and out of the blue. I couldn't really do any RnB anyway but the song I did for her sounded good. The mix was allllll phugged up, lol. She said her Dad liked it too but since the mix was alllll phugged up, he put it on a separate CD...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a long read so if you have no interest in reading, don't bother with this thread. For everyone else, I'll leave this open to discussion! :)

Calling all Producers! Why you will NEVER make a living selling beats…

I’m going to tell you what very few of us want to hear at a time like this. One of the most common questions on message boards, forums, blogs and internet videos is:

Can I quit my job and make a living selling beats?

Right now? NO!

Stings doesn’t it?

Those of you who know me will know I’m not one to throw a controversial idea or statement out there without explaining the reasoning behind it, but if you listen and digest what I have to say, you’ll realise this is nothing but truth.

The market is saturated but this is not a reason, just pretence.

I’m not going to bore anyone with the specifics of just how many producers there are trying to make it, how many people are on Soundclick, the producer/artist ratio etc, because this stuff is not relevant!

I repeat… the market is saturated… so what?! Market saturation never stopped anyone who truly wanted to achieve success in their endeavours. So this is not an excuse.

Drop that argument already.

Breaking down the producer

Now heed my warning because I’m going to break a large group of people down and in doing so, I aim not to offend anyone, but to shed light on the mentality of a group of people.

Most upcoming ’producers’ by and large fit into the 16 – 24 age group. If you are reading this you are most likely in this age group yourself.

In fact, if you have read this far, I already know several things about you;

1. You are insecure.
2. You are tired / desperate and looking for any reason to corroborate your logic.
3. You are lazy.

Being insecure

Being young means you are waking up to a world of financial possibilities and opportunities. People of this age see the world around them and have strong desires to eat a piece of that pie. Or at least nibble on it.

What is most infatuating in the surroundings of a 16 – 24 year old?

Media.

What is it that is the most brazen, in-your-face lifestyle / avenue to success?

Music.

This naivety is what causes most young people to feel insecure about their music and indeed about the music industry… whether that is insecurity about their own music, about other people, finance or the way the business works.

It’s pretty much accepted how small the chances of making a living in music are, but these chances are usually measured as the chance of making it, rather than the chance of not making it.

It is more inspirational and motivational to think ‘There’s a small chance I’ll make it in this business’ than ‘In all likelihood I won’t survive off this’.

Which is fine, because no one is telling you that you can’t make it. I am simply pointing out the attitude and thought pattern most producers have, and do not wish to be labelled as pessimistic or anything else.

Being tired / desperate

Most producers and musicians reach a stage where they become desperate because they are not making as much money / haven’t developed as many opportunities as they thought they would on the offset and they require these.

This, coupled with the general attitudes of other people, musicians, industry types etc. forces people to search for measures to reaffirm their belief that they are on the right path.

For example, its most likely you are reading this article not because you’ve realised you’re not selling enough beats and want to accept it, but that you can’t accept it and want to find an exception to the rule to prove to yourself that it can be done.

Think about it this way… in a regular non-creative profession such as a carpenter, surgeon or park-keeper, you will find it very hard to think of someone who is an exceptional, exemplary model of that job and lifestyle. It just doesn’t exist… all workers are pretty much on an even plain.

So why is it so difficult for musicians to justify their ambitions without resorting to the exceptional example? Why can’t producers explain their desires to hit the big time without quoting ‘Well Timbaland did it, he came from nowhere’, or ‘Eminem did it, and he was white! So there has to be a shot’.

Seriously.

Stop if you’re doing anything and seriously think about this for a second. If you’re attuned to the reality of the working world, you will realise that your logic, your reasoning is actually pretty dumb.

Media has in fact convinced you to convince yourself that something is desirable and indeed possible.

But is it?

Being downright lazy

You may not be. But if you’re reading this, you probably are. You came to find a shortcut, a quick-fix, a way to solve your problems and finally live off music. A way out of this hardship, a way out of doing hard work, of pouring out your blood sweat and tears into this music and getting nothing back in return.

But you won’t get that from this article. That’s already been established.
This is where a lot of you will stop reading.

Which is fine. Except you will be missing out on the real reason why you will never make a living off selling beats… something which, perhaps at an unconscious level is something you truly desire to know.

I’ve broken down the average producer. I didn’t mention he wasn’t talented or creative, that he didn’t love music or have a passion for it or that he didn’t have dreams or realistic ideas, etc. I simply said he was insecure, frustrated and lazy.

The real reason you’re not making money off music

If you’ve read this far, you may even have the humility of admitting that I have been correct in judging your character. Of course, I may not have been but I recommend you read on anyway.

If it has been so simple for me to build a portrait of you, think of how simple it must be for someone else, perhaps for a company with large enough funds to conduct this sort of research.

Which is where we come down to the most fundamental unspoken truth.

Anyone and everyone who wants your money will manage to use your character and mentality against you to sell you basically ANYTHING.

Desperation is the weakest state of mind a person can have because from desperation comes a break in logic, we resort to things that we know otherwise would be absolutely useless to us.

Some people would call it marketing. Others would call it psychology.

Why do you think people buy so much shit they don’t need? And they keep buying shit every day of their lives despite the fact that to us, it seems so pretentious and unneeded.

Many examples come to mind… people who buy a newspaper daily just to submit to all the competitions they have inside. Or an old lady who buys 40 lottery tickets every month thinking she has a chance. Or a woman who buys hundreds of dollars worth of ‘rejuvenating’ face cream to make herself look more attractive because her husband doesn't pay her two shits worth of attention.

It isn’t really that they’re being irrational. Their desperation has caused a break in their logic which has changed their perception of what is attainable and what isn’t.

All the while you are under a false perception, you will always be at the whim of anyone looking to exploit you financially and otherwise. And for someone as fragile and easily led as a young (remember 16 – 24) musician, this is a large group of people!

- Legal services.
- PR / advertising.
- Other artists.
- Beat selling websites.
- Software companies.
- Music / instrument stores.
- Music info subscription services.
- Promoters.
- Self-help guides.
- Apparel and clothing companies.
- Music courses.
- Plagiarists.
- People looking for sex.
- Etc etc

There is a huge list of people who solely depend on the warped reality of artists (producers, rappers, singers) to sell a product which does not yield ANY return for that artist.

And the funny thing is, with the exception of the obvious, these people are usually not evil corporations or megalomaniacal twisted scam artists looking to rape you for your last penny, they are simply individuals and businesses who have their head screwed on correctly and are achieving what you aren’t!

It may be, and often is, that you don’t reap any substantial reward from your investment because you are lazy. Not seeing a gratifying reward ironically makes people lazier because they believe it wasn’t their fault a certain goal wasn’t achieved, which makes it not worth struggling for.

And right now you are part of that system, be it in a small or large capacity.

Acheiving clarity

To realise a change, you must first rid yourself of any false perception. This is a very hard step because most people’s minds will fight to retain an idea or a concept, or a possibility.

You must accept who you are first, that you are in fact insecure, that you are desperate, and that you are lazy. This will make a huge difference because if you can accept it, it signals that you are ever closer to changing that mentality and character.

Once you have clarity in your character, you will be in a position to define your path. The choices you make will be based on a logical decision rather than a possibility or inkling.

You will deviate from people who you know will take advantage of you.
You will explore options which you would never have considered before.
Things you buy will be bought with a specific end purpose, and will return the value invested AND then some.
People you meet will recognise your clarity and be intrigued by it.
Your scope will slowly begin to encompass elements outside of music.

Now I know you’re saying… well I could do all of those things without any of this character bullshit… I’ll just be extra cautious! I’ll make sure no one takes my money and work triple hard from now!

If you do think that then you really haven’t grasped the concept of this article and you should re-read it before getting to this part.

The point is not to be more cautious, to take less risks or to avoid unknown situations… the point is that clarity of mind will allow you to make decisions which can drastically alter the rewards of your efforts.

Reaping the rewards

Which is where the best element of clear thinking comes into play… you start getting back what you put in. There is no better feeling in the world, trust me.

The gifts you receive from your hard work, be it money from selling beats, opportunities from working with other individuals, a new place to live, a new car, whatever they may be, should motivate you to work harder and your return will again show this.

Is the beat market saturated? Hell yes. Everyone and their mother and their dog makes beats today! There are no secrets about this.

So then… can I quit my job and make a living selling beats?

You can do ANYTHING if you’re in the right character and state of mind but you must work very hard to rid yourself of the notions which lead us not towards our intended paths but into the paths of other entities looking to exploit us.

There are no rights and wrongs, no universal choices and nothing that can be taught by citing a prior person's actions... hopefully your new character will help you assimilate things better so that you can create your own path instead of blindly following someone else's.

J R Rodriguez
Songwriter, performer and record producer

Get at me.

What a bunch of bullshit

Back