When rappers forget they rap

Red_Orb

Is it just me or do most rappers who find success outside of rap try to hide that they ever rapped on a serious note... Aloe Blacc was stupid sick as an emcee, but since he started singing he ain't ever looked back.

I would like to see him do something like spit a few bars with Kendrick or some ish cause I personally really dug the raps.

Not to mention Cee-Lo... I mean, if Mos Def could do it then why can't they? They got access to the sickest producers so beats aren't an issue, they have the popularity(except for Cee-Lo, he might need to stick to singing unless OutKast come back and gets a feature or two cause white people love him!) and they got the talent.

I would love to hear a new Aloe verse... maybe even an album... OK I'll settle for a single

I think that BECAUSE they DEEPLY live and remember their unsatisfaction or satisfaction as a rapper, they find another lane.

'When someone shows you who they are believe them; the first time."
-Maya Angelou

Actors get more money on the average then rappers. Also, in the case of Mos Def (Yasin Bey) he was actually acting in high school(arts school in ny).
Plus there still seems to be a stigma of being an old rapper.

Actors get more money on the average then rappers. Also, in the case of Mos Def (Yasin Bey) he was actually acting in high school(arts school in ny).
Plus there still seems to be a stigma of being an old rapper.

This is real talk and aside from the truth about more money from acting, the reality is ageism in Hip Hop is harmful and while it is in all music genres, it is the reason why many legendary artists in Hip Hop get less respect and ageism is symptomatic of a generation gap in the culture. I don't feel being old in Hip Hop should be an issue unless one's health is problematic.

To make more money for other roles. unfortunately a lot of people see rappers only as rappers and want to pay them as such.

idk, 50 made most of his money outside of rap through investments, and he seems to not try to hide it
or maybe its just cause he was so big for being a rapper lol

I also read that Scott Caan the actor(James Caan is his dad) used to be in a group with Alchemist back in the day. Rapping isn't really a desirable profession anymore because no one buys music anymore. Rappers are reduced to getting money from performances and there arent too many venues for rappers to perform.It is more of a hobby and the rappers who have an income from an outside source can be true to themselves as artists as well. They dont have to sell their soul and don't have to be scared to rap about issues like police brutality like Nikki Minaj who commented she refrained from speaking on the topic for fear of backlash like Kanye received for criticizing Bush's response to Hurricane Katrina.

Last edited:
Back