What's your favorite R&B album in the past year?

SampleDrop.com

Mine has gotta be Frank Ocean's Blonde album. I was iffy on it at first, but two months later and I still listen to it every day.

Might have said Bryson Tiller's Trapsoul album but that was over a year ago haha.

What are your favorites?

the one R&B album i played the most was Babyface's - Return of the Tender Lover.

these are my other favorites
Tamar Braxton - Calling All Lovers
Ty Dolla $ign - Free TC
definitely Anderson Paak - Malibu , I just got into this album a couple of months ago.
I try not to listen to too many albums all at once, I like to be surprised when i hear new songs on the radio.

the one R&B album i played the most was Babyface's - Return of the Tender Lover.

these are my other favorites
Tamar Braxton - Calling All Lovers
Ty Dolla $ign - Free TC
definitely Anderson Paak - Malibu , I just got into this album a couple of months ago.
I try not to listen to too many albums all at once, I like to be surprised when i hear new songs on the radio.

I'm with you on all of those and totally forgot how much I listened to Anderson Paak's album as well. That whole thing was fantastic

In no specific order, these are some of the most recent album recordings that I have enjoyed:

1) Tyrese - Black Rose
2) Case - Heaven's Door
3) Jodeci - The Past, The Present, The Future
4) Anthony Hamilton - What I'm Feelin
5) Dave Hollister - The MANuscript
6) Jill Scott - Woman
7) Lyfe Jennings - Tree of Lyfe

Most of them, if not all, were probably released in 2014/2015, however. Nevertheless, they all contain very good instrumentation and singing with soulfulness.

Last edited:
In no specific order, these are some of the most recent album recordings that I have enjoyed:

1) Tyrese - Black Rose
2) Case - Heaven's Door
3) Jodeci - The Past, The Present, The Future
4) Anthony Hamilton - What I'm Feelin
5) Dave Hollister - The MANuscript
6) Jill Scott - Woman
7) Lyfe Jennings - Tree of Lyfe

Most of them, if not all, were probably released in 2014/2015, however. Nevertheless, they all contain very good instrumentation and singing with soulfulness.

Its good to see someone else still rocks with the vets of R&B, we must be from the same era... Tyrese's album was incredible, obviously, and Jodeci, Case and Dave Hollister were slept on. I would even put Dave Hollister's Chicago Winds album on this list. The case album surprised me, I think it would have been more appreciated if it were the 90s, before the internet.

Last edited:
Its good to see someone else still rocks with the vets of R&B, we must be from the same era...

Likewise! It is good to know that I am not the only one here who enjoyed my listed recordings.

I am not sure if we are from the same era, but I am definitely older than most members here (mid-40's), which is why I do not visit much, as my perspectives and preferences are different than average forum poster here.

I love the R&B vets because I can hear the Gospel background/influence in their voices, which I do not find in the newer artists that I have heard. As someone who grew up playing in church, and still does every week, my ears gravitate towards certain type of singers.

With that said, I need to check out that Babyface album, "Return of the Tender Lover", mentioned in your previous post. I wrote-off Babyface after the "For the Cool in You" album, as his music started to lack a "soulfulness", in my opinion. However, I am interested to hear what he is doing these days. The B-side of the original "Tender Lover" album was amazing and presently resides on all of my MP3 players.

Anderson Paak - Malibu album is amazing. Couldn't believe that Madlib produced The Waters. Also it's sick to see that POMO produced Am I Wrong (He used to live just down the street from me. I used to chill with his brother a lot. dope guy).

Last edited:
Am I Wrong has my vote for song of the year. I can't explain it, but its one of those songs that I'll remember exactly what i was doing in 2016 when i hear it in the future.

Back