Votes: 4 5.8%
  • 90s

Votes: 41 59.4%
  • 00s

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • 10s

Votes: 8 11.6%

• Total voters
My personal favorite era was 1979-1986 witnessing firsthand Hip Hop evolving from the park jams and block parties to wax then to early commercial viability as a young soldier out of Jamaica Queens NY. I feel in love with it because it broke all the rules and it was about making something out of nothing, words can't describe it you had to be there to truly appreciate it.

As far as what I think is the best era its definitely 1986 - 1993 no question

My personal favorite era was 1979-1986 witnessing firsthand Hip Hop evolving from the park jams and block parties to wax then to early commercial viability as a young soldier out of Jamaica Queens NY. I feel in love with it because it broke all the rules and it was about making something out of nothing, words can't describe it you had to be there to truly appreciate it.

Damn it, I was born in '88 and I never got the chance to feel the vibe of the '80s and I couldn't feel the vibe of '90s to the fullest, because '90s are my childhood. I say every f***in' day "I was born in wrong time" and I totally hate '10s and this new shit. '00s can't be compared to the '80s and '90s - Recession, Internet messed up the whole game, Record labels are not making any money, people are losing jobs around the globe etc. Though I don't wanna sound too pessimistic because this is the best time to be independent as an artist.

Last edited:
90's all day!! The Pharcyde, Bone thugs, Tupac plus more. Im also liking todays underground. Freddie Gibbs, The Underachievers, Joey bada$$ are gunna makin a name for themselves.

You can't be serious!!!

What about the 70's? You cant leave out the pioneers.

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

My favorite era is on the rise now. I predict that by the end of this decade, Golden Era Hip Hop fans will be very satisfied.

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

My fault I replied to the wrong post...

I agree the pioneers should be on the list.

What about the 70's? You cant leave out the pioneers.

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

My favorite era is on the rise now. I predict that by the end of this decade, Golden Era Hip Hop fans will be very satisfied.

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

Lmao!!!!

^^^^^no need to. Long debate on when hip hop really started.....then it ends up in georgia with the slaves............then it ends up with scriptures in the bible..........

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

You must be the stupidest person alive. WTF are you talkin' about....Why am I even responding to this?????

10's hip hop sounds like late 80's hip hop....too bad people call it "trap" instead of hip hop. And too bad so called hip hop people would say nah...that ain't hip hop.

90's hip hop is lame man. Has no swag. Dudes talking bout keepin it real in the streets and shit. Rapping in code and shit about shit people see everyday. 90's rappers were a bunch of know it alls with no life...or a bunch of psycho paths....or some weirdos. 90's rappers cried about "this is real hip hop" on every song. 80's rappers were normal hip hop human beings.

Truth be told.....90's R&B saved yall 90's rappers.

Prove me wrong. Biggie wouldn't be shit without R&B. Big Pun, Nas, you name a rapper and a R&B type song saved their life. Jay Z was like "I'm perfectly sane".......because hell....every rapper was rapping like they were some kind of retarded lunatic who wants world peace but the world is too fuucked up for world peace...or some mass murderer ass person..just flip a coin. They mind gone on the most potent weed more potent than what you as a normal human being smoke...so don't fuuck with them on that shit. 90's rappers....high ass fuuck in interviews. Hip hop fans like "ahilk a hilk...he high ass hell son.....give me a shot gun son". 90's rappers gangsta as hell...lips touching trying to blow a shot gun with a roach and shit...FOH. 90's rappers were out of shape talking bout they'll whoop somebody's ass.

Nothing negative you can say about 80's rappers.

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

Well said!!!!!!!!!

Are you completely ****ing insane? The 90's gave us The Roots, Outkast, X-Clan, Pharcyde, Busta Rhymes and a ton more positive/fun rappers. All anyone chooses to remember is gangsta rap. The fans bought more gansta-rap than anything else so it was never the artists fault. If Tribe Called Quest outsold NWA we wouldn't even be having this conversation today.

You my friend have forgotten the golden rule of economics. The customer is always right. The reason Trinidad James is on the radio is because people eat that shit up. Meanwhile acts like The Roots, Papoose, Immortal Technique and Saigon get no publicity. They still have a loyal core group of fans but the masses love bullshit.

Another thing the 90's gave us is diversity. The 80's was 90% east coast artists. So you must have a beef with the west and south my friend cause that's who was represented. Gangsta is what the people wanted, not the artists. A series of unfortunate events took place that set that era in stone. So ****ing what.

would have loved to be alive and old enough to appreciate that in person

[/COLOR]You must be the stupidest person alive. WTF are you talkin' about....Why am I even responding to this?????

People can't handle the truth. What is so cool about you as a part of hip hop culture

eating caviar? Taste great....doesn't it? That's swag right there.

80's was the fliest! Argue with that.......you can not! Gear in the 80's was the shit. 90's gear.......rappers wearing the real shit........I know good and damn well nobody in here had a real Vercace outfit. None of you own a Bentley. In the 80's......a bad car was something YOU AS A Culture could be involved with.

NOW LOOK AT THE 10's. 32's on a MFing Rolls Royce jacked up high like a Big Foot truck.....and they call it hip hop.

And you end up receiving depression checks because you will never make the money to have that kind of shit. smh. Kids want to quit school so they can buy a Ferrari.....you can thank the 90's era for that. They truely believe strongly in the caviar life.

Last edited:
Hip hop had soul in the 90's, I guess that's why it's called the Golden Era.

You could tell because all the rappers had pain in there voices, and they all spoke about real problems.

Nowadays it's just money, money, money.

You can't really divide each era like that, because the shit from 1989 has more in common with 1990 than it does with the shit from 1980.

So I vote Golden era.

The Golden era definately...Public Enemy, Grandmaster Flash, N.W.A, Cool Mo Dee, London Possee. Although I did like de la soul which is more late 80's early 90's.

Late 90's hiphop (mainstream) became more R&B and lost it's way in the fusion.

90'S All day! I mean you have The Neptunes, Tim & Bob, Timbaland, Bryan Michael Cox, Darkchild, Jazze Pha....all in the same era!?!? sheeshh!!

90s. i started listening to hip hop around the time wu-tang was coming up when i was maybe 7, around 94. when the 1999 and the early 2000s rolled around there was a lot of garbage being made at first but i love where it's at right now.

My favorite gotta be the 90's. 1 kid that's bringing that Era back is THE ASTRONOMICAL KID. Check him out.
Astro - he fell off. He's bringing that type of movement back. Tough tough beat on that track.

I feel like there's a lot more experimentation, and lot more of an opportunity for those expirmental artists to get heard and get their music out there because of the popularity of the internet.

Definitely the 90s due to the amount of dope lyricists and timeless songs. Plus the beats just have that groove that keeps you bobbin your head for the whole song.

Back