Votes: 4 5.8%
  • 90s

Votes: 41 59.4%
  • 00s

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • 10s

Votes: 8 11.6%

• Total voters
Most people aren't old enough to remember the 80's but they had some raw Hip Hop back then.

Public Enemy
Cool J
Rakim
Dougie Fresh
Slick Rick
Biz Markie
Stetsasonic
Beastie Boys
Whodini
Run DMC
UltraMagnetic MC's
Salt n Pepa

... whole lot more BUT!!!

all of the raps just rhymed the last word at the end of a sentence (except Rakim)... so even though the 80's had fun songs and Hip Hop was brand new and uncut... the skill level hadn't evolved into the Outkast, Method Man, Redman, ... 90's type of flow. 90's is where the skills were built. 2000's is where the Hip Hop image took over.

90's for me... Gang Starr, Wu Tang, Pac, Biggie, Busta, Down south movement, West Coast movement, Do or Die, Twista... etc.

Best beats belong to the 10's and beyond. Sampled beats and Boom Bap sound extra boring now... but not at the time.

90's didn't give nobody shit. lmao!

90's and beyond you listened to hip hop. 80's.......YOU WERE HIP HOP!!!

Nuff said. Eat yall ass up when I get back.

I get what you're saying now. That's true. But the Hip Hop culture never died. Instead it got broken into pieces. People still dance Hip Hop, some still are involved with grafitti and DJ's are still big. If you look at the history, MC's became the reps for the life style. The music became the forefront because people from different backgrounds had other lifestyles. The mainstream doesn't represent the people any more. There are still a ton of traditional Hip Hop heads in this world. I've heard stories of people in dozens of countries over seas that are involved in traditional Hip Hop culture.

You know what........I can't really give it to the 90's. It's like including all the 90's. My favorite years of hip hop was 87 - 92 (as far as a culture). Like I will be damn if I allow people to consider

To be 90's since it's in the 90's. That shit is greater than anything ever. Fuuck 80's....fuuck 90's....fuuck 00'.....and got damn....Drake is the voice of hip hop 10's.....nuff said.

Shit is beautiful......(sheds tear). Ice Cube killed hip hop.

Done.

HipHop is fadig. No mixtape dj scratches anymore, hiphop clothes is now slim as sh*t and beats are all soulles computer-generated over distorted sounds.

Lets face it, hiphop has too much electro/pop in it, it'll wind up where you couldn't tell the diffrense between the 2 genres.

HipHop is fadig. No mixtape dj scratches anymore, hiphop clothes is now slim as sh*t and beats are all soulles computer-generated over distorted sounds.

Lets face it, hiphop has too much electro/pop in it, it'll wind up where you couldn't tell the diffrense between the 2 genres.
Word! Hip-Hop is now presented as just another genre of music. In 80s and 90s it was a lifestyle, you dress Hip-Hop, you speak Hip-Hop, you dance Hip-Hop... I think that if we don't make a change, it will fade totally. Hip-Hop should be a movement around the globe once again!

Hip Hop is still very much alive. What was going on in New York represented their style of Hip Hop. To say that the 90's didn't represent Hip Hop culture just shows how biased some of you are. I'm from the west coast and that's what emerged in the 90's so when you say Ice Cube killed Hip Hop I take that shit very serious bruh. Ignorant people like you killed Hip Hop by putting it in a small ****ing box. People still dance, they still Dj, Battle, graffitti and all that good Hip Hop shit. It's just not seen in mainstream media. Don't wait for a millionaire to tell you what Hip Hop is. The culture started with the people so why are you idiots waiting on corporations to give you something back?

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

And if you look at other parts of the world Hip Hop culture is represented very well. The UK, Toronto, Brazil, The Middle East. Dont put Hip Hop in such a small box. If it was up to you Hip Hop Nazi's, we'd all still be break dancing on card board boxes and scratching loops on records players. People are getting money and bettering their lives so why be made. You would all do the same.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

I love and appreciate every era of Hip Hop. From it's inception in 1973 to now. Every other genre is allowed to evolve but somehow this one is defined by ignorant standards. If it was still the same, we wouldn't have rappers from Kansas, Ohio, Australia and there especially wouldn't be any white rappers. I love where Hip Hop is going. People like 9th Wonder teach Hip Hop classes to make sure it has a lasting impact for generations to come. Stop being so ****ing closed-minded.

Last edited:
Hip Hop is still very much alive. What was going on in New York represented their style of Hip Hop. To say that the 90's didn't represent Hip Hop culture just shows how biased some of you are. I'm from the west coast and that's what emerged in the 90's so when you say Ice Cube killed Hip Hop I take that shit very serious bruh. Ignorant people like you killed Hip Hop by putting it in a small ****ing box. People still dance, they still Dj, Battle, graffitti and all that good Hip Hop shit. It's just not seen in mainstream media. Don't wait for a millionaire to tell you what Hip Hop is. The culture started with the people so why are you idiots waiting on corporations to give you something back?

True! Hip-Hop started with few black brothers rapping on the corner and that's what it is. No glamor, no BS, just real life. We definitely need real ARTISTS back to represent the game. Like 2Pac etc. Majority of people are sheep and they will follow what they are told to follow (by the mainstream media).

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

I love and appreciate every era of Hip Hop. From it's inception in 1973 to now. Every other genre is allowed to evolve but somehow this one is defined by ignorant standards. If it was still the same, we wouldn't have rappers from Kansas, Ohio, Australia and there especially wouldn't be any white rappers. I love where Hip Hop is going. People like 9th Wonder teach Hip Hop classes to make sure it has a lasting impact for generations to come. Stop being so ****ing closed-minded.

I'm gonna be honest with u, I stopped listening to new rap after ~2008, there were a few albums that I liked in last 5 years, but I really hate 90% of new rap. Of course that's just my opinion and the way I see it... I don't hate on no one if they love Trinidad James.

Last edited:
True! Hip-Hop started with few black brothers rapping on the corner and that's what it is. No glamor, no BS, just real life. We definitely need real ARTISTS back to represent the game. Like 2Pac etc. Majority of people are sheep and they will follow what they are told to follow (by the mainstream media).

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

I'm gonna be honest with u, I stopped listening to new rap after ~2008, there were a few albums that I liked in last 5 years, but I really hate 90% of new rap. Of course that's just my opinion and the way I see it... I don't hate on no one if they love Trinidad James.

There are tons of underground artists that people never hear of. If you wait on large corporations to do what's in the interest of the consumer, you will die 3 times over. Instead of abandoning the genre completely, just support what you do like. Nicki Minaj's song Beez in the Trap got over 50 million views and thousands of dislikes. Why do people help promote something they know they wont like? Meanwhile Jean Grae would kill to get those type of numbers. You should help educate people about the lifestyle. As a matter of fact, I challenge any and everyone reading this to help re-build Hip Hop. If you don't like something dont bend over and take it in the ass, change it. People were ready to impeach Bill Clinton for getting his dick sucked in the 90's. Today we let Obama fvck the whole world up and re-elected him. Fight for what you belive in rather that letting it die.

There are tons of underground artists that people never hear of. If you wait on large corporations to do what's in the interest of the consumer, you will die 3 times over. Instead of abandoning the genre completely, just support what you do like. Nicki Minaj's song Beez in the Trap got over 50 million views and thousands of dislikes. Why do people help promote something they know they wont like? Meanwhile Jean Grae would kill to get those type of numbers. You should help educate people about the lifestyle. As a matter of fact, I challenge any and everyone reading this to help re-build Hip Hop. If you don't like something dont bend over and take it in the ass, change it. People were ready to impeach Bill Clinton for getting his dick sucked in the 90's. Today we let Obama fvck the whole world up and re-elected him. Fight for what you belive in rather that letting it die.
I abandoned new mainstream rap, sry I wasn't precise with last post. Yes, that's what should we all do as a Future Producers! We should rebuild it and make quality music!!!!!!!!! Very good post bro.

Last edited:
I'm from the west coast and that's what emerged in the 90's so when you say Ice Cube killed Hip Hop I take that shit very serious bruh. Ignorant people like you killed Hip Hop by putting it in a small ****ing box. People still dance, they still Dj, Battle, graffitti and all that good Hip Hop shit.

Shit is funny.......you didn't even read what I said. lmao! And when people start talking eras of hip hop....it's automatically ignorant to even say 80's era......90's era....00's era....10's era. Because hip hop grew so fast year after year.

Your arguments not valid. No one can argue that hip hop past the 80's was dead.....or argue that the culture of it all got better just because "more people" knew about.

9th Wonder teaches an opinionated version of hip hop. KRS1 has been teaching an opinionated version of hip hop. Hip hop wasn't shit no more past the 80's and early 90's. What you had in the 90's was more music. More people trying to bring a new styles of the music. You had DJs poppin still.....BUT NOT LIKE THE 80's. +1 80's.

We were still dancing in the 90's........

Listen to MC Lyte...she rapping as if she is hip hop her self to YOU ALL..like if she is the voice of hip hop....this is what hip hop has to say.....get offended!!!!This hip hop talking to you...not just some rapper.

90's this and 90's that. Fuuck yo 90's. lmao....50 Cent and GUnit......wow! I'll take all of you on shit....BRING IT!!!! Because truely..there is somebody thinking to their self "Well...Drake is how rap is suppose to have been...that's my boo boo."

Bring it!!!!! Blame it on Ice Cube!!! Listen to the lyrics. Easy to understand for EVERYONE TO HEAR.

MC's had got to a point nobody understood a word they were saying. Thought Nas invented some shit.....LL was doing what Nas was doing on his first and second album....but of course..."RICE SHITTIN ON MY FAVORITE RAPPER.....FUUCK RICE". Fuuck Nas got dammit! He wouldn't be shit without Lauren Hill. LL stood his MFing ground til this MFing Day! Busted yall ass every era except the jump.....SO FUUUUUUUUUCK Nas......FUUUUUUCK yall youngins.

Why am I even here.......got nobody to bag me up from these 90's MFers. Shit. Fuuck the 90's.....weed is a gate way drug.....look at you now......doing mollies.....that's every drug wrapped up into one......sweatin and shit.

80's.....

Shits on ever single 90's rap song. He ain't lie in this song. This foo got an album coming out this year.

So fuuck Rakim.....fuuck Nas....fuuck Lupe.....fuuck Drake.....fuuck whoever.

80's foo!!! 90's were the start of some fake ass DJ behind the turntables with no record spinnin....just standing there looking like he doing something.

Last edited:
That LL Cool J song is nothing but braggin about himself. He's rapping about being better than others, and how awesome he is.

How's that more diffrent than Lil Wayne?

after all that shit rice said I still say 90s > 80s lol

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

That LL Cool J song is nothing but braggin about himself. He's rapping about being better than others, and how awesome he is.

Because LL Cool J did it first. besides that LL would rip you a new one back in the day and destory your career in similar fashion t what 50 did to Ja Rule.

I don't belong here. smh.

The song is "I'm Bad"........he explains why he is bad.....and not only that....DARES A MFER TO PROVE OTHERWISE. These sissies are scared to dare a mfer because they know somebody will shut they ass up. So they play cool and ask for pats on the back for their accomplishments.....and yall enjoy that bullshit. Feel sorry for yall....the rappers yall like don't send you on an adventure...they make you enter their world like they a pimp and you a ho. Rapper I grew up liking....rapped like homeboys telling you their day. LL just so happen to feel like he was bad and wish a mfer would. Kanye said "I wish you would" but he was just playing. He sounds too biitch to battle.

But like I said.......I don't belong here. Yall have at it.

Last edited:
I don't belong here. smh.

The song is "I'm Bad"........he explains why he is bad.....and not only that....DARES A MFER TO PROVE OTHERWISE. These sissies are scared to dare a mfer because they know somebody will shut they ass up. So they play cool and ask for pats on the back for their accomplishments.....and yall enjoy that bullshit. Feel sorry for yall....the rappers yall like don't send you on an adventure...they make you enter their world like they a pimp and you a ho. Rapper I grew up liking....rapped like homeboys telling you their day. LL just so happen to feel like he was bad and wish a mfer would. Kanye said "I wish you would" but he was just playing. He sounds too biitch to battle.

But like I said.......I don't belong here. Yall have at it.
I remember when Kanye first came out and people said he was wack as hell and was too soft. Idk what happened but now people like his raps more than his beats for some reason. I've always loved Kanye's beats but I could do without his rapping. What I miss about back then was if you said you were the best rapper alive you had to prove it. Wayne said it and people said okay now Wayne is the best rapper alive. When I heard Wayne say he was the best rapper alive my first thought was who shot Rakim?

Men lie, women lie... numbers don't (see poll results)

80's was the figuring out period, 90's was the perfecting period - it's called the GOLDEN ERA for a reason and nobody argues against it.

On anutha note...

... I had to shave my head bald because I'm getting old, anybody remember Kojack... well, I started a new SoundCloud page and now you have... you guessed it...

BRO JACK! - https://soundcloud.com/bro-jack

... made a wack beat as a place holder... wanna hear it, here it go. Made it in headphones.

On Our Way To Brunch by... Bro Jack

Last edited:
after all that shit rice said I still say 90s > 80s lol

Cool. Most people probably know I'm going with 80's only because in the past threads like this 90's is most favored. I never have a favorite anything because my mood changes musically.....because I lived the shit. So it's impossible for a lot of people to understand that feeling of hip hop in the 80s.....as they grew up with hip hop "the music".....or grew into hip hop "the beat making and super producer era". Cool. But it's shameful that people jump into shit and never want to know about the history of it.

It's sad.......a dude did a hammer dance....called it the sponge bob............

7:02...........I got yo sponge bob got dammit!

Real talk.....R&B ruled the 90's. 80's was straight hip hop......

Last edited:
90s r&b was the shit too yes. I was born in 83 I remember 80s hip hop but I am biased because I fell in love with hip hop in 94. `

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 AM ----------

Back