What y'all think of rich homie quan's "Flex" song/video? | Current state of Hip-Hop

quikslvr

What y'all think of rich homie quan's "Flex" song/video? | Current state of Hip-Hop

I just came by this song from a reference in some guy's video about Young Thug being the reason he's "changing" and what not so I'm curious as to what y'all think of this track and what do you think Hip-Hop/Rap is forming into? Video has 19 million views within one month. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWMw4vE3J8s

Is this kind of rap music becoming too boring to even tolerate? I look at these rappers, and wonder what is the point for what they even do, a new song about the same constant thing doesn't seem needed, I won't touch on the objectification of black women only appearing to be good for being half naked in videos. I guess you can say, in music, it's interesting when every release is different in some way, but these new age artists have no actual direction in what they bring to the plate, they honestly bring nothing. Granted I "could" be biased, but I wouldn't say I am, Ludacris talked about a lot of the same things, but he did it in a more enjoyable, clever and memorable way. I don't know, I just don't see the point for it, if it's nothing I haven't really heard already, but money talks.

It's a "fun" song. It should be treated as is. Not every song has to be about a black revolutionary movement. Some songs are just bullshit, club songs. You listen to it on the way to work and sing along. You listen while going to work, at the gym, etc.

I know it's just some bullsh.. music to have fun to but I still can't mess with it at all.

Has only 1% of the views but is so much better, mainstream hip-hop is done.

Some prefer nonsense, some prefer serious, some prefer surreal.
Personally I like that Quan video because I instantly get reminded of jojo's bizarre adventure, to top it off he's funny imo.
Not concerned with where genres are heading tbh, mainstream and underground usually stay stagnant enough for it not be be a concern.

I'd classify riff raff as nonsense, action bronson as surreal and someone like common as serious.
Or lupe as surreal/serious, kanye as nonsense/surreal.

I find most songs like the chief fella to be entertaining, but not in a musical way.
I find gold panda and flying lotus interesting, in a musical way.

I personally like this song a lot from keef, but not in a completely musical way:

And this one from MogWai, in a musical sense with the melodies.

I feel what all y'all saying, love the various opinions on that. After I made this post I decided to look at some Quan interviews and I found him to be a very humble dude, so I respect him more, it actually makes me appreciate his music more, including flex. I guess I'm usually not into the BS club songs mainly cause I'm not a club guy, I'm way too laid back to even pretend to be one. It's a catch song, guess that's the beauty in appreciating different music for what it is.

i heard it in the club randomly this weekend for the first time.. and in the moment it was my song.. had to shazam it to find out who it was.. it's a great song and works in the club which is what it's meant to do..

Back