What is this type of drum roll called?

HipHopCreations

I don't know where else to post this, sorry if it's in the wrong place and that this is my first post but can someone help me by telling be what this is called? I've recreated it in FL but it's not the best it could be and I'm looking for a video to help me with it.

Drums happen at 4:57 before song ends:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just tom-toms. Maybe single-headed. Tuned a bit "snappy," heavy stick attack, with moderate reverb.

GJ

Oh, sorry, I misread the title. I thought you asked "what type of drum?" You asked "what type of drum roll?"
Answer-- It's just a random fill. A "fill" is what many people call a "roll" that is used to fill-up space, signal a transition point or set-up a new section of music, or even cue an ensemble part. No special name though, other than "tom fill"...

GJ

PS-- It seems really random in relation to the feel and sound of the rest of the "Drinks on Us" song; I am not a fan of this production style ("I've got this sample, so I better use it, even if it doesn't fit").

Last edited:
yah

I got to the point of saying it was something random and was going to put the rhythm and the possible drums then thought, wait a minute, that's just a sample, it's not deliberately played or programmed

however

the roll can be played as x..xxxx. where "x" is a hit and "." is silence in a group of 8 semiquavers or quavers (16ths or 8ths) depending on how you want to count out the tempo at that point - as for what sounds: it just moves around the rack toms and ends on the floor tom

Yeah, kind of doesn't make sense where it is though, right? I seem to remember that fill though. I went looking for it, but it wasn't what I thought (Steve Miller's "The Joker").

GJ

Yeah, kind of doesn't make sense where it is though, right?

Yup it definitely sounds off. I'm sure the track he sampled was a different tempo and whoever ghost produced this for Mike Will didn't even bother to chop or stretch the drum loop. It sounds like an incomplete fill with no resolution.

Last edited:
Back