What happened to DeVante Swing ???

A_Eberts

He produced some of the best songs in the 90ties....

DeVante was also the person who signed Timbaland....

Mosley was born and raised in Norfolk, Virginia. Originally a disc jockey known as "DJ Timmy Tim" or "DJ Tiny Tim",Mosley began making hip-hop backing tracks on a Casio keyboard. Rapper Missy Elliott heard his material and, taken by Mosley’s unique sense of rhythm, began working with him . She and her R&B group Sista auditioned for DeVante Swing, a producer and member of the successful R&B act Jodeci. Devante signed Sista to his Swing Mob record label and Elliott brought Mosley and Barcliff along with her to New York, where Swing Mob was based. It was Devante who renamed the young producer Timbaland, after Timberland construction boots, which were popular in hip-hop fashion.

Anyone any info on him ???
What is he doing now ???

noblewordz said:
Tibo stopped making his beas.
really ???

But Timbo couldn't produce that "Forever My Lady" album...that was 1991....

DROSKI said:
On the real, from what I hear he got real bad coke problem!! I hope it ain't true!!

ok that really could be the case....
but damn thats ****in sad if its true....

Last edited:
one-derkid said:
if this is true then what have we learned today?

1. coke is a joke.
2. crack is wack.

ENO

Basically...

I don't knock anybody who's hooked on drugs b/c I'm sure probably it's hell to get off of, if it wasn't so many people wouldnt get taken down by them.

But people need to never start in the first place b/c they've done nothing but destroy

A_Eberts said:
really ???

But Timbo couldn't produce that "Forever My Lady" album...that was 1991....

Thats what I've herd. Could be total BS. I'm not saying he made every track. I'm sure when Tim was a nobody he was more than willing to ghost produce a few joints.

jadillac1181 said:
Timbo couldnt lace DeVante's boots when it comes to melodies and harmonies. DeVante was a beast on the keys and played the guitar as well.

So where is DeVante now? because Tim is one of the biggest producers around.. Exactly... Wipe your tears.

Last edited:
noblewordz said:
Thats what I've herd. Could be total BS. I'm not saying he made every track. I'm sure when Tim was a nobody he was more than willing to ghost produce a few joints.

So where is DeVante now? because Tim is one of the biggest producers around.. Exactly... Wipe your tears.

No tears here....it's nto that serious. Any real R&B head knows what the deal was. Timbo wasnt making those tracks, especially the ballads, you're a fool or a total Timbaland stan if you believe he was. DeVante had his own sound, which you could clearly hear, in not only that stuff, but the stuff he did outside of Jodeci. Next you'll be telling me that Timbo really did DeVante's tracks for 2Pac.

I do think maybe Timbaland and the rest of that camp were making teh up-beat Jodeci songs. Those tracks didnt have much melody to them and sounded totally different from any of the great ballads.

Last edited:
All this time I thought Timbo was the one that got Missy into the game.

I guess because I knew Timbo's name first.

jadillac1181 said:
No tears here....it's nto that serious. Any real R&B head knows what the deal was. Timbo wasnt making those tracks, especially the ballads, you're a fool or a total Timbaland stan if you believe he was. DeVante had his own sound, which you could clearly hear, in not only that stuff, but the stuff he did outside of Jodeci. Next you'll be telling me that Timbo really did DeVante's tracks for 2Pac.

I do think maybe Timbaland and the rest of that camp were making teh up-beat Jodeci songs. Those tracks didnt have much melody to them and sounded totally different from any of the great ballads.

Your calling me a Stan? you sound in love "oh no he didn't say some **** about my DeVante, OH NO HE DIDN'T"

I never said what he did or didn't make, I'm just saying what I herd.

noblewordz said:
Your calling me a Stan? you sound in love "oh no he didn't say some **** about my DeVante, OH NO HE DIDN'T"

I never said what he did or didn't make, I'm just saying what I herd.

:rolleyes: please...

You're the one who said, I was cryin about it. I'm just stating the facts. Listen to Timbalands body of work, and you don't hear anything similar to what you heard from Jodeci, other than the up-tempo stuff. Timbo probably didnt come in until around that 3rd Jodeci album around '95, when they're sound changed.

Return to Jodeci They are believed to have teamed back up with DeVante Swing and Mr. Dalvin for a Jodeci reunion album. However, Jodeci's reunion is still very much on the sidelines, having been held back so many times over the last four years.
They are currently back in the studio with the DeGrate brothers DeVante Swing and *Mr. Dalvin and are recording a new Jodeci album. Their first single from their new album is called My Baby Momma and will be released this summer.

I guess i found the answer myself....I hope that this is true....

People complain that Tim doesn't produce his own music and instead just puts his name on it but the same thing happened with him and Devante. Tim produced a lot of tracks Devante got credit for.

And so the cycle continues....

Devante is arguably THE only reason Timbaland is on the level he is irght now. When Devante discovered Timbaland and took him in, Timbaland was introduced to the two main people who would be responsible in helping launch Timbaland: Missy Elliot and Jimmy Douglass. Ontop of that there was Playa, Sista, and others.

Let's face it, with no Missy there would be no Timbaland, at least not in the sense that we know Tim today. You're only as good as your last hit, and together they were unstoppable with countless hits.

Anyways, Devante produced alot of music outside of Jodeci. Some his best stuff was with H-Town and a very, very young Usher. Devante plays multiple instruments ontop of guitar and keyboard.

Devante goes in the producer Hall of Fame as far as I'm concerned.

Kruegger XL said:
Devante is arguably THE only reason Timbaland is on the level he is irght now. When Devante discovered Timbaland and took him in, Timbaland was introduced to the two main people who would be responsible in helping launch Timbaland: Missy Elliot and Jimmy Douglass. Ontop of that there was Playa, Sista, and others.

Let's face it, with no Missy there would be no Timbaland, at least not in the sense that we know Tim today. You're only as good as your last hit, and together they were unstoppable with countless hits.

Anyways, Devante produced alot of music outside of Jodeci. Some his best stuff was with H-Town and a very, very young Usher. Devante plays multiple instruments ontop of guitar and keyboard.

Devante goes in the producer Hall of Fame as far as I'm concerned.

Don't forget Ginuwine was in that young crew with Missy, Timbo, Static and the others. That's when he & Timbaland met.

jodeci was that ish back in the day...

look at me in middle school tryin to mack some young tender off jodeci...

good ol days...

ONE

Last edited:
noblewordz said:
Tibo stopped making his beas.

People complain that Tim doesn't produce his own music and instead just puts his name on it but the same thing happened with him and Devante. Tim produced a lot of tracks Devante got credit for.

And so the cycle continues....

your both crazy timbo and missy joined up with the jodeci camp while they were in the middle of recording their 3rd and final album if timbo did anything it would only be a couple of tracks on their last album at the most. That whole Swing Mob thing lasted like 1 year. Next thing you know your gonna tell me Timbo was playing the guitar and the keyboard solos while Devante was doing blow in the backroom. Timbaland was a straight hip hop producer coming up and after he went through jodeci boot camp he was on his way to becoming the super producer we know today. Without Devante's guidance he could have never went on to produce Genuwine or Aaliyah. Jodeci revolutionized r&b by utilizing hip hop influence and Timbo simply took it to the next level and he deserves alot of credit for that, but dont hate on the original. Devante played all the instruments, wrote the songs and the vocal harmonies, sang, and gave the group it's image. The man was a monster.

And yeah everybody in Jodeci was hooked on drugs and it ended all their careers. Look on the bright side though at least they didnt stay around long enough to become wack and irrelevant plus they didnt die, so we dont get a thread a day about how Jodeci were prophets who could cure the ills of the world like we do with biggie and pac.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back