What Do Hip Hop Fans Want/Not Want?

OGBama

If you still listen to Hip Hop, what do you want and/or not want and do you feel Hip Hop fans don't know what they want hence the idea that Hip Hop fans are fickle?

Since my late teens I've never casually accepted sexism/misogyny in lyrics as solely just words and/or entertaining though I do accept there are some people who find that entertaining.

Rap songs I feel the most have to be thoughtful with attention to detail, and clever lyrics but I've long accepted not every artist can, will and/or should provide that. I've also accepted since the 90s that different styles call for different voices, instrumentation, etc.

Last edited:
i want someone to take Drake spot. alot of people think he's the best out right now.
i dont want any more mumble rap. New lanes are cool, but this mumbling has to come to an end.

Music will be music regardless of my opinion as well as anyone else, so it may be.
I am fond of all electronic and classical however.

All I really ask for is diversity. There are so many subgenres of rap, but no one wants to do it unless the production is trap-inspired. Bring back westcoast, crunk and other genres that are not as hot anymore.

Hip hop needs to have several styles poppin, instead of only having 1 style that dominates everything.

Hip Hop needs the people to run it again and not the suits...that is why all we hear is this culturally harmful trash on the radio.

Compare the top artists on Billboard and Spotify to what is on the radio and you will clearly see the radio is only pay-for-play. Also go to a few shows and see that these radio cats can't pack a show without help while Childish, Cole, Internet, even BBD are killing them.

so called fans in the mainstream want nothing but 808 beats period lyrics mean nothing in a trap song take away the vocals and people will still love the beat and vibe to it now reverse that process and you have a shitty exposed no talent it has nothing to do with these bein guys young when you suck you just suck be real and stop making dumb sub genres to justify this trash thats coming out

@Just Clauz I feel you on less rappers but when something gets co-opted that's the natural de-evolution of a genre/subculture. Best thing to do is ignore what you don't like and focus on what you do and use the latter to fuel your "originality"

The culture is constantly changing, and we really have no idea what they want because something always comes around to change it. In a general sense, I like albums that have unique beats, catchy songs, memorable lyrics and a sense of cohesion.

Most rappers are pretty boring and unoriginal.

They fight so hard to be independent and real but they all end up copying a similar formula and put out the same sounding music. The ones who try to break away from the formula either are considered lame or are named Drake.

Drake is the only one that can make different music but can also find a way to sneak into the mainstream culture. He is also able to invade "underground" as well.

They fight so hard to be independent and real but they all end up copying a similar formula and put out the same sounding music. The ones who try to break away from the formula either are considered lame or are named Drake.

Drake is the only one that can make different music but can also find a way to sneak into the mainstream culture. He is also able to invade "underground" as well.

I'm not one of his haters or whatever. I enjoyed his material up until the past few years. But he's starting to get in the same pattern and often avoids risks.

Nothing Was The Same was his last great album. If You're Reading This, Views and More Life definitely have a few great songs on them each, but the rest don't really stand out in any way.

The mainstream rappers are hardly independent when they have the same Greek billionaires financing them.

...and Drake has so much money put behind him in the machine it borders wasteful. Nothing about Drake is "underground".

The mainstream rappers are hardly independent when they have the same Greek billionaires financing them.

...and Drake has so much money put behind him in the machine it borders wasteful. Nothing about Drake is "underground".

Greek billionaires? I didn't know Hip Hop sponsorship was diversifying. Whatever happened to the Whites and the Jews?

Back