What do Americans think of UK grime?

LUPN

UK grime has been around for aaaages but never made it big in the charts in a serious way. I'm just wondering, does the average American hip hop fan know what grime is or is it still too underground? It's been big in London since it started but it quite a niche sound, I couldn't see it being adopted by non-UK audiences.

If you don't know what it is here's a few examples. It's a weird genre and it's partly what dubstep came from and it can take a while to get into. The beats and lyrics and weird humour can seem strange at first but grow on you (in most cases).

Classics:

Dizzee Rascal - Just A Rascal - YouTube

JME - Food - YouTube

Riko Dan - The Phone Call *OFFICIAL VIDEO* - YouTube

Newer more Americanised trap style:

SB.TV - Footsie ft JME, D Double E, Jammer, P Money & Chronik - Spookfest [Music Video] - YouTube

One Big Move (feat Krept & Konan) - P-Money & Blacks - YouTube

SB.TV - Jammer - MC Jammer [Music Video] - YouTube

I used to love grime (didn't know that was what it was called back then). I liked grime that sounds more like dancehall than Jigga What though.

Last edited:
I used to love grime (didn't know that was what it was called back then). I liked grime that sounds more like dancehall than Jigga What though.

Yeah it wasn't always strictly grime. There was always about a million sub genres lol. I'm with you on the ragga sound though, suits London accents better and the beats were always crazy and all over the place.

I'd never heard of it until last week but I've been really into JME and Skepta lately.

Type of shit that I used to love......still do. lol!

Just don't know any of their names. It was one dude used to be snappin on that shit. lol! I've probably heard 30 diffrent Super Mario grime beats back then....shit was crazy. lol!

Chitown might love some of it too...IDK.

Last edited:
^^^^As an American.....I search this Wiley dude............not feeling that shit. I got to some corny shit thinking maybe he has something else I might like.......nope..and one more time I did this.....I failed once again.......then yet...one last song thinking just maybe this time.....nope....I failed again......sorry. I like the random 2002 guy I posted 100x more than this Wiley dude.

Last edited:
The lack of wiley is pretty bad. I agree he's pretty commercial now but he was the godfather back in the day, just have a listen to this. Grime would be a lot worse off without him. You wouldn't think that's a Skream beat either..

Talking of Super Mario beats, in my old secondary school literally every kid had made one using this mario sample pack someone had made and passed around. The playground was full of 15 year old MCs xD

Back