What is the best type of Hip Hop

Andrelo

Hello guys,
I have been thinking the style that I use to make instrumentals which is hip hop with a little touch of old school. Now I have been wondering what is the preference of other producers. I think that trap is the majority's choice, and in my opinion I think is not that great, but I want to see your guys opinions.
So what is your favorite style of Hip Hop? and which artists play it?

Last edited:
This is thread nr 1000 about trap vs hip hop, and I still haven't gotten an answar for this question:

Are there any other type than trap and boombap? Why does it have to be either or?

If someone know a rapper that does not restrict himself to just one of the two, then tell me. I need to get inspired from something else.

Last edited:
Are there any other type than trap and boombap?

There are other types of rap music, but nobody cares enough about them to argue on forums about them. That is why they get ignored. Arguing for boombap or trap instantly outs you in a group of people that feel a certain way and will support your thoughts as long as they conform to the norm of those groups. Any othe choice puts on the outside. That is where the conversation ends. Sad but true.

There is no '' best '' everybody has their own style and preference that doesn't make one better than the other. music is subjective if u love the bounce on trap music more than old school boom bap so be it. I believe it takes some type of skill to execute either or as a producer. If not everybody would be trap stars or everybody would be j diila. But for me? I love hip hop incorporated with some smooth jazz. I love those smooth chords with those hard drums that just bangs! I also love the feeling of samples based music especially done correctly ! J Dilla is one of my heroes and I'm really digging the way the whole toronto movement is using samples so creative. with their reverses , eq's , adding there own melody ontop of the chops to make something completely new and refreshing.

it depends on the mood or what type of setting you're in. if you're constantly at the club or a party or something, jersey or baltimore club or some trap music might be your best bet. if you want something that is actually going to make you think about something, you may want more of an underground conscious sound. it all depends on that listeners perspective and personal preference. i personally prefer lyricism over trap music. but you can still be lyrical over a trap beat, but the average listener is going to enjoy the beat more then the lyrics.

Hip Hop over trap 100%. My favourate style is hard motivational instrumentals. I can spit some real fire to those!

l like trap, g Funk, jazzy hip hop, east coast new york gritty sound, some boombap. if as a nice melody , some substance and a dope breakdown. ill listen to it.

Back