West Coast piano chords

Music From Iran

hello all
im looking for westcoast piano chords
u know, they either go through the course of the song, or like little stabs and the end of every few bars....
e.g. C, Dsharp, Gsharp - C, Dsharp, G

can anybody help?

thanks

betta_than_u said:
Just use the Westcoast Scale when making beats.
lol, no seriously
I know there arent' a strict set of chords, i just means some examples as to what scales/chords are used in westcoast, espcially G-funk music

Experiment. Develop your own style. Why is everyone chasing after "GEE YOU KNIT" style or some other crap that was old before it came out? No offense to anybody here or Westcoast music, but you gotta learn some basic theory and come up with something original.

Last edited:
btownpro said:
Experiment. Develop your own style. Why is everyone chasing after "GEE YOU KNIT" style or some other crap that was old before it came out? No offense to anybody here or Westcoast music, but you gotta learn some basic theory and come up with something original.
I try that too
I but l try to develop my own style with influences from other styles too

I'll try some more and let u know if I'm successful ;)

i've seen this asked a lot... there is no specific rule... but usually the sound is dark... and "generally" this means minor chords/scales. :cool:

hmm, i've tried using minor scales, seems to be working
unfortunately, my theory is not great, so I go more by what it sounds like, which is a lot more time consuming and less effective
I gotta work on my theory

thanks for the help all

Iran,

Not sure why people didn't just fess up to the fact that they didn't know specific chords to throw your way and stop dissing the fact that you were trying to do something on the West Coast Tip!

But I digress

you need to use Minor Chords (mostly) and add 7ths and 9ths

Meaning - if you are in the key of C minor - you would play the chord(C-Eb-G) and add the 7th (B or Bb) - try dropping the 7th under the rest of the chord.

Also - add the D (2nd or 9th) - that makes the chord nice and chrunchy.

From there you could move to the F Major / Minor chord with the C in the bass.

That's just one - but it will give you a good idea for how to experiment

Play with it man - till it sounds like what you're going for - and I'm sure you could probably find lots of info online

TT

Check out my post:
https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196076

Last edited:
is there any scale for westcoast / gfunk music?
If looking for some chords and scales myself..
I'm from holland and i wanne make a real westcoast album cuz in holland all the beats suckz
Can any body help me?

real funky / gangster westcoast snoop dre e40 ****..

peace lefty

Iran,

Not sure why people didn't just fess up to the fact that they didn't know specific chords to throw your way and stop dissing the fact that you were trying to do something on the West Coast Tip!

But I digress

you need to use Minor Chords (mostly) and add 7ths and 9ths

Meaning - if you are in the key of C minor - you would play the chord(C-Eb-G) and add the 7th (B or Bb) - try dropping the 7th under the rest of the chord.

Also - add the D (2nd or 9th) - that makes the chord nice and chrunchy.

From there you could move to the F Major / Minor chord with the C in the bass.

That's just one - but it will give you a good idea for how to experiment

Play with it man - till it sounds like what you're going for - and I'm sure you could probably find lots of info online

TT

Check out my post:
https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196076

Sorry, but bullsh*t.

I'm on my books over method slaying up here on FP. Don't nobody need to know no damn chords to make west coast pianos. It's all in the strumming of the keys(put your timing a little off with each note of the chord you hit) and being able to press 3 or 4 key chords on the high end of the keyboard at once in tune. Try bouncing between chords with all white keys and chords with 2 or 3 white keys and one black.

Anyone should be able to get a good west coast piano riff literally in seconds whether you know what chords you're pressing or not.

That's why folk aren't "displaying their knowlege of everything music" to tell someone how to play something my 6 year old son can play.

Now who's explination gonna make more sense to the original poster? If he understood "7th and 9th scales" why the f**k would he not know how to make a simple azz west coast strummed piano? lol. :cheers:

In no way am I trying to discourage people from learning. But give the dude knowlege relative to what he's asking. The secret is in strumming, spreading the stereo, possibly adding short delay to make your srumming breathe more, and adding Reverb more than in an exact chord of any type. I can apply that to a simple C7 chord being repeated and outperform someone going all around the world but missing those factors when it comes to making a "west coast piano".

Finish your beat in 10 minutes, or take a week off to go study chords to realize you coulda finished the beat in 10 minutes a week ago.

Seems to me like dudes take every chance they get to try to throw around their knowlege of music up here more than dudes try to hide what they don't know. :cheers:

Last edited:
Sorry, but bullsh*t.

I'm on my books over method slaying up here on FP. Don't nobody need to know no damn chords to make west coast pianos. It's all in the strumming of the keys(put your timing a little off with each note of the chord you hit) and being able to press 3 or 4 key chords on the high end of the keyboard at once in tune. Try bouncing between chords with all white keys and chords with 2 or 3 white keys and one black.

Anyone should be able to get a good west coast piano riff literally in seconds whether you know what chords you're pressing or not.

That's why folk aren't "displaying their knowlege of everything music" to tell someone how to play something my 6 year old son can play.

Now who's explination gonna make more sense to the original poster? If he understood "7th and 9th scales" why the f**k would he not know how to make a simple azz west coast strummed piano? lol. :cheers:

In no way am I trying to discourage people from learning. But give the dude knowlege relative to what he's asking. The secret is in strumming, spreading the stereo, possibly adding short delay to make your srumming breathe more, and adding Reverb more than in an exact chord of any type. I can apply that to a simple C7 chord being repeated and outperform someone going all around the world but missing those factors when it comes to making a "west coast piano".

Finish your beat in 10 minutes, or take a week off to go study chords to realize you coulda finished the beat in 10 minutes a week ago.

Seems to me like dudes take every chance they get to try to throw around their knowlege of music up here more than dudes try to hide what they don't know. :cheers:

""The secret is in strumming, spreading the stereo""

Can you explain that so I (newbie) can understand it?

There aren't such a thing as "west coast chords" necessarily, as much as a west coast "style". A style, might I add, that I believe relies less on the chord structure and more on the beat and syncopation. I play organ and keys for different churches and let me tell ya, the most inventive beats I've been brought have been from cats that know next to nothing about chords. Like Ray Charles said, there's only two types of music....good and bad. Make good music and it will translate far beyond east or west coast. Check out one of the youtube videos of Battlecat making a beat. I'm not sure how well he plays the keys in general, but he's not doing anything amazing as far as chords go in the video. But his beats are fire. It's the placement and syncopation of his simple chords that matter. That's my two cents.

Last edited:
Back