Websites For Origins and Development of Hip-Hop Music/Culture

spirit1

I am writing a dissertation about hip-hop and i am writing a chapter on how the origins of hip-hop music such as other genres that influenced the creation of hip-hop such as reggae and jazz and i need to write about hip-hop from its being a underground movement right up until it became mainstream.i need a website that has information on a history before that influenced the creation of hip-hop and i need a to also write about the cultural movement from the begin to end of how hip-hop came about and changed over time.if anyone can recommend any websites i would appreciate it because i dont need any more books.thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
my feedback on the chapter i did on the history of hip-hop says ...Crucially Hip-hop is referred to as a generic category without any explanation as to its origins or development culturally or musicologically.so i need something that can explain the development either culturally or musicologically.

YouTube:
Hip Hop Evolution by Darby Wheeler
Breakin' N' Enterin' by Topper Carew
And You Don't Stop: 30 Years of Hip Hop by Dana Perry
Hip Hop: Beyond Beats And Rhymes by Byron Hurt
Freestyle: The Art of Rhyme
40 Years of Hip-Hop by KRS-ONE
Whatever Happened to Hip Hop by Sonali Aggarwal
Money, Power, Respect: Hip Hop Billion Dollar Industry
DEMOS Documentary
Founding Fathers Narrated by Chuck D
Soul of the Streets by Dale Dreher
Something From Nothing: The Art of Rap by Ice-T
Scratch by Doug Pray
Uprising: Hip Hop & The L.A. Riots by Mark Ford
Beef by Peter Spirer

Last edited:
What books do you have? How many websites do you need?

I actually teach a course on this. I'd be glad to help (as many here would, obviously by the responses), but not if this is going to be half-baked research or is due tomorrow or something...

hi rhythmgj i a few books the one buy steve stoute and erin patton.all i need is about two websites just as long as covers the relevant informartion.its not a last minute thing but the deadline isnt that far away

Last edited:
Sent some info via PM. Let me know if you don't get it (I got a weird error message when sending).

Last edited:
Back