(video)Jay-Z killed this freestyle last night at the B-Side concert 2015

Excellent freestyle. Jay is extremely intelligent but his entitlement is crazy. He wants to join one of the most promising industries, out-compete the top dog and basically create a multibillion dollar company to become the richest man in hip hop and when it doesn't work out as he wants he compares people not shoving money down his throat to a child being murdered for it's ethnicity and civil rights issues.

"You charge 20 a month, your people live on less than half that a month."

Excellent freestyle. Jay is extremely intelligent but his entitlement is crazy. He wants to join one of the most promising industries, out-compete the top dog and basically create a multibillion dollar company to become the richest man in hip hop and when it doesn't work out as he wants he compares people not shoving money down his throat to a child being murdered for it's ethnicity and civil rights issues.

Agree 1000 percent...

you kind of missed the point of the freestyle.... he even said people say Tidal is too expensive are the same cats out here here with iphones which I know some "broke" people that find the means to get they hands on an $500 phone each time it drops... referenced the cop killing blacks to show how blacks jump on trends of cop killing blacks..... he aint with it.... he also talks about how black people turn on each other faster than actually supporting a movement..... which is obviously true..

if white business owner can charge stupid prices for stuff and not get attacked, then why cant blacks do that without getting trashed on social media?

you kind of missed the point of the freestyle.... he even said people say Tidal is too expensive are the same cats out here here with iphones which I know some "broke" people that find the means to get they hands on an $500 phone each time it drops... referenced the cop killing blacks to show how blacks jump on trends of cop killing blacks..... he aint with it.... he also talks about how black people turn on each other faster than actually supporting a movement..... which is obviously true..

if white business owner can charge stupid prices for stuff and not get attacked, then why cant blacks do that without getting trashed on social media?

One time investment versus monthly bills. I can put down 200 for a new phone with a plan from my paycheck. That's easy it's a one time investment. Ask me to pay $20 a month for something I can get free from other companies with no advantages that matter to me and I'll bulk at it. Pandora and Spotify work pretty good for me. Why would I pay $20 for something that ain't broke?

Jay has the problem of convincing people that the $20 bones is truly worth it. The current $20 or nothing campaign will fall short until he solves that problem.

One time investment versus monthly bills. I can put down 200 for a new phone with a plan from my paycheck. That's easy it's a one time investment. Ask me to pay $20 a month for something I can get free from other companies with no advantages that matter to me and I'll bulk at it. Pandora and Spotify work pretty good for me. Why would I pay $20 for something that ain't broke?

Jay has the problem of convincing people that the $20 bones is truly worth it. The current $20 or nothing campaign will fall short until he solves that problem.

$20 is HIFI (loseless quality) version, premium is $9.99 and you get 320kbps (same as Spotify). Soon there will be no more free Spotify. Apple Beats Music Vs. Spotify: Free streaming limited to 3 months | BGR

Also, Tidal pays higher royalties than any others streaming service and as a producer that's something you should probably support.

$20 is HIFI (loseless quality) version, premium is $9.99 and you get 320kbps (same as Spotify). Soon there will be no more free Spotify. Apple Beats Music Vs. Spotify: Free streaming limited to 3 months | BGR

Also, Tidal pays higher royalties than any others streaming service and as a producer that's something you should probably support.
Its still a difficult business model for a new company that doesn't have apple like buzz. I can't say I've compared all the rates, but new companies usually start cheaper to attract new business and then gradually raise fees. When Lexus and Acura started out they were cheaper than a Benz or Bimmer, 20+ years later their basically the same price.
I'm not saying Tidal won't work, just that the pricing may have to come down lower for now.

Its still a difficult business model for a new company that doesn't have apple like buzz. I can't say I've compared all the rates, but new companies usually start cheaper to attract new business and then gradually raise fees. When Lexus and Acura started out they were cheaper than a Benz or Bimmer, 20+ years later their basically the same price.
I'm not saying Tidal won't work, just that the pricing may have to come down lower for now.

Lower pricing = lower royalties for the songwriters and that's something i'm not sure they're willing to do

Lower pricing = lower royalties for the songwriters and that's something i'm not sure they're willing to do
Its a new business, u have to be prepared to take a loss while u build up your brand. I'm not saying do it long term. The owner has to take a hit in the short term, you just have to have a plan on how to generate your target income long term. The only other option is going under. I just don't think the exclusive access model is enough to pull people away from the competition in the short term, especially in an environment where so much content is free.

Its a new business, u have to be prepared to take a loss while u build up your brand. I'm not saying do it long term. The owner has to take a hit in the short term, you just have to have a plan on how to generate your target income long term. The only other option is going under. I just don't think the exclusive access model is enough to pull people away from the competition in the short term, especially in an environment where so much content is free.

Paying higher royalties is their whole thing...they are willingly makings less profit in order to do so. Free model would make that impossible.

this is a cool interview Jay Z on Tidal, Jimmy Iovine, & Rewriting the Music Business Rulebook | Billboard

Isn’t another of your goals to make sure the revenue makes its way down the food chain to content creators?
Definitely. For someone like me, I can go on tour. But what about the people working on the record, the content creators and not just the artists? If they’re not being compensated properly, then I think we’ll lose some writers and producers and people like that who depend on fair trade. Some would probably have to take another job, and I think we’ll lose some great writers in the process. Is it fair? No. If you put in work, everyone else, you go to work you get paid. That’s fair trade. It’s what our country is built on.
I’m just saying the producers and people who work on music are getting left out -- that’s when it starts getting criminal. It’s like you’re working hard and you’re not receiving. In any other business people would be standing before Congress. They have antitrust laws against this kind of behavior. It almost seems like when it applies to music no one really cares who’s cheated. It’s so disorganized; it’s so disconnected from reality.

So, Tidal launches today. Creatively, what do you hope happens, beginning tomorrow?
Artists come here and start making songs 18 minutes long, or whatever. I know this is going to sound crazy, but maybe they start attempting to make a “Like a Rolling Stone,” you know, a song that doesn’t have a recognizable hook, but is still considered one of the greatest songs of all time, the freedom that this platform will allow art to flourish here.

As a producer you have to support this. Even if it ends up being some BS.

Paying higher royalties is their whole thing...they are willingly makings less profit in order to do so. Free model would make that impossible.

this is a cool interview Jay Z on Tidal, Jimmy Iovine, & Rewriting the Music Business Rulebook | Billboard

As a producer you have to support this. Even if it ends up being some BS.
That's the issue, I'm not looking at it as an artist endeavor. This is a business they are trying to setup, the goal is profit.
I support the idea as an artist-a better cut. But as a business you are dealing with competition-- basic supply and demand. There are other companies who are more well known, and seem to offer lower rates. You have to do something to make your product more appealing, and getting a free track from Jay is not enough. They are going have to adjust the pricing structure(at least PR wise), or they will lose by default.

When you hear Jay rap like this, it's like seeing glimpses of "Shawn Carter".

He did this back in hot 97 in that grammy freestyle.

I'm thinking consumer wise. Most average consumers aren't worrying about Hifi. Hell a lot of these people will be listening on ear buds while they workout or on their way to work. He's got to convince people it's really worth it to purchase over the others.

I'm thinking consumer wise. Most average consumers aren't worrying about Hifi. Hell a lot of these people will be listening on ear buds while they workout or on their way to work. He's got to convince people it's really worth it to purchase over the others.

thing is, they actually give away free stuff on tidal which is something that Jay-Z didnt express to the public well... also you can watch videos and buy tickets on tidal... both itunes and spotify dont do that...

those tickets to that show were free! and boy did people get a show just for having an app! so the high pricing isn't about the hifi.....

see my earlier response above.... my bad I'm too lazy to retype it lol

I honestly don't see the problem wit spending measly ten more dollars for better quality, I'm sure most of the people complaining have iPhones which I support for better quality too, if you don't invest in good things for yourself who will?

Based on some people's failure to investigate I see some problems.

1) Price
Tidal is not $20. Only the premium HD is.

2) Sound Quality.
Even on a free app like Beats Music. Try streaming at low quality. Then switch it to HiDef. There's clearly a difference.

If you don't care about the quality due to price.....fine. But if your a producer and can't hear a difference, I'd questions your level of skill behind a mixing board. It's painfully obvious that some people have no true skill and rely on a pile of presets, plug-ins and compression to make a song super loud - yet distorted, thin and unbalanced, just go to their CloudClickTwitTube. Terrible

3) As a consumer, I can see being a bit put off at the mere thought of a 20 dollar service compared to FreeTube. However as a Artist /Producer/Engineer your very own career depends on money being spent on music.

Having 2,400 likes on a site is great, but having 800 singles sold and paid for is better. It finances your gear, photoshoot, video and trip to SXSW. If you're content with the 15 real friends you have telling you your dope....cool. But that's not a career, that's a hobby.

It's mind boggling when I hear producers say they DL for free, and wonder why they themselves haven't "blown up ".

Back