U.K. Rap/Hip Hop Vs. United States of America Rap/Hip-Hop

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEADCUTTA

right now uk is killing it they still have have that true hiphop sound goin heavy over there the beats have variety unlike over here where u have to dig to find good hiphop and if u dont all u get is loud 808 drums in every beat and a lame no talent over the beat uk wins all day in my book easy what do u think

You have to understand that British Rap has Jamaican influences and grime influences. Stop using the term true Hip Hop as in the U.S. the idea of true Hip Hop is often romanticized from a hegemonic New York view. People had to dig for Hip Hop before mass media and will have to after it and today is no different.

Recommend some U.K. artists, I know of Little Simz and Stormzy

Last edited:
True indeed the usa hiphop has its prints on the uk scene but those prints are old and the uk took the game and made it their own at this point that sound they have was at one time ours not anymore that dirty new york sound lives n belongs in the uk

I havent heard any Brits that I like yet. The accent makes me think of tea and crumpets everytime. Doesn't mesh well with hip hop. It's like a Jersey accent trying to sing country music.

I actually don't feel too much for UK Hip Hop either it just doesn't do it for me for some reason.

I havent heard any Brits that I like yet. The accent makes me think of tea and crumpets everytime. Doesn't mesh well with hip hop. It's like a Jersey accent trying to sing country music.
No offence but it sounds like you haven't listened to any ... the style and accent is generally much harder and grimier than US artists. Tea and crumpets?

It's not for everybody, but the music is definitely dope as in it's own right. The Caribbean and African influences as well as the UK twist on things in and of itself make for very interesting bangers.

The fact that they still respect the art of lyricism and it's pushed to the forefront is what made me fall in love with it

Last edited by a moderator:

Not many emcees can get with this on either side of the pond. Sheer realism and knowledge from start to end...listen to what he's saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
even minus vocals and just talkin pure sound/beats they are so much better well rounded using different drum kits while everyone here seem to only have heard of the 808 kit so sad so shallow

The British, the French, and the Japanese have always (at least over the past century) taken American musical/cultural movements and amplified them. But in that process, it is often a certain form or time period that is favored.

Think British jazz and blues, British Invasion rock, French blues, the Japanese love of jazz, blues, country, rock-a-billy, baseball, etc., etc.

the Uk home of true hiphop
Okay.... We get it already... you're fanboying and are in love with UK hip-hop.
Honestly, I can't get with it. They sound mad corny to me.
Anytime I hear them try to make hard shit, it sounds inauthentic, like they're putting on a front.

Not a fan boy just look at the elements that make up good music the usa lacks it on all levels just search the word new on soundcloud all u hear is mumble rap its sad outside of j cole and kendrick u have to heavily dig to find anyone else on that level and when it come to corny aint nothing more corny than hiphop in america just look at whats popular tell that aint corny

How does it sound "inauthentic" though? London is bigger than NY and the majority of the immigrants in the hoods come from the islands or Africa. Shit kicks off out there and you'd be crazy to think it was all tea and crumpets because of the accent.

Point is-- Headcutta likes UK Hop. Fantastic. The rest is just going to degenerate into an unnecessary "mine's bigger" conflict, so we'll call this one "closed on account of nothing more of value to say"...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back