TUTORIAL: Chop and Screw

poolpimp

Ok, ima teach yah how to chop and screw (the technique invented by the Late DJ Screw and used by DJs like Mike "5000" Watts, Yellowboy, and others)

1. Get the program: i say use MixVibes 6 by going to mixvibes.com, click on mixvibes 6 family, and download the demo. its only 30 minutes PER SESSION and you keep it FOREVER.

to have an UNLIMITED SESSION, you gotta buy it, of course

2. Get the songs: Use songs that you think can be chopped and screwed, like south songs, songs with good bass, faster songs, around that area, like Still Tippin, Stilettos Pumps, and other songs.

East songs are harder to do and west songs are ok. South and midwest are good.

3. Set up song speed: open up the same song on both sides (A and B) by clickin da eject button. next theres a button. everytime u click dat button, a different option changes. theres a "SPD" button. Thats da speed. "MT" is da tempo. "KEY" is the pitch.

In the status window where the song name is at is a little number in da upper right hand corner. thats how fast/slow the speed, tempo, or pitch is.

you can use any settings you want to set the overall speed of the song but make sure that both sides MATCH. they da same numbers on both sides. i sometimes use these settings...

SPD: -10.0
MT: -6.0
KEY: 0.0

or if you want a faster screwed song

SPD: 0.0
MT: -6.0
KEY: -6.0

but da objective is to SLOW IT DOWN ON BOTH SIDES THE SAME WAY. THEY MUST, I MEAN MUST MATCH ON BOTH SIDES.

Set up chopping times: ok on the interface there is a dark grey background and a lite grey background. on SIDE A, double click in da lite grey area. a dialog box will come up.

click the media tab...and where it says start time, change the MILLISECONDS ONLY. its the part with the THREE ZEROS. change it to around 420 for a start. you can play around with it if the song doesnt chop right. then click ok.

make sure that SIDE B is all zeros. if it aint, click da rewind button with the line on it only once. its by the play and cue button. once thats set, then scoot the crossfader over to SIDE B.

Time to do it: ok time to play. PRESS F10 AND F12 AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!! and then to chop RIGHT CLICK SIDE A ON DA CROSSFADER WHEN YOU KNOW A BASS PART OR A WORD THATS CHOPPABLE IS COMIN UP.

Example: on Still tippin at Mike Jones part, when he bout to say "Turn ya neck and ya dame be missin".....right before he says the word "turn" right click SIDE A and he will say "Turn ya Turn ya neck and ya dame be missin"....just like that ..had to break it down fo ya...

and ya done....

to record: way at the bottom there is a record button next to the volume section. click that BEFORE you screw and chop and type in da song name in a folder u choose. the red lite should be on. and then do ur thing. to finalize the recording, click the record buttton to turn da red lite off.

the recorded song will be a WAV file so u can fix it up or something or change it to mp3.

to triple chop: its too hard...but ill tell ya if u think u can do it...

on da right side, use side B, then on the right side theres a 1, 2, and a 3 button. then theres a button with some arrows. click dat button til the green lite below is on LOOP. then at a certain part, click da "3" button to loop it. click it faster three times for a faster triple chop....

if u have any questions, reply to this or hit me up YIM: poolpimp16 AIM: poolpimpc

just play around and have fun...

other recommended programs:

audacity: to edit the song like fade in the beginning, fade out the end, and all types of other ****. to download, just go to yahoo and type in audacity because i forgot the audacity website url. and AUDACITY.COM dont work

Dawg...not trying to be mean, but did this REALLY deserve a tutorial? :confused:

Whats the difference between doing all that when you could easily chop up the song, load it into whatever sampler you're using and punch in the double and triple chops , or whatever you called them over the full track playing?

that SH!T is wack! who needs it? If them Texas boy's influence these kids to make screwed up music, I WILL QUIT LISTENING TO HIP HOP.

poolpimp said:
it only takes me 30 seconds to do all that, its just hard to explain but ez to do...

slow

next time ima use pictures since black ppl don't read....(im black also)

http://www.heatedgfx.net

get ya website done...
do you think any body wants to read that?

I don't care if you are black, save your black jokes for your self homie.

I don't think any white people on this site are going to care to much for that tutorial.

And can anyone tell me what the ****ing point in slowing down a song and chopping it up, actually IS? Its the dumbest thing ever, sheeeeyit

Soulfool88 said:
And can anyone tell me what the ****ing point in slowing down a song and chopping it up, actually IS? Its the dumbest thing ever, sheeeeyit

So you can hear it verrrrry slowly and verrrry clearly......"Whoooo isssss Mike Joooones comin.....Im Mike Joooooones!!!!.....Who??????? Mike Joooooones!!!!.....Who??????? Mike Joooooones!!!!.....Who??????? Mike Joooooones!!!!.....Who??????? Mike Joooooones!!!!.....Who??????? Mike Joooooones!!!!.....Who???????

Understand now?

you gotta be high on that codiene crap all them texas boys say :rolleyes: . Ill find my own way to screw up songs thank ya very much.

TUTORIAL: MAKIN A SAMPLED BEAT

Ok, ima teach yah how to make a samplin beat(the technique invented by Kanye West and used by producers like Dr Dre and others)

1. Get the program: i say use acid 5 by going to google.com and download the demo. it doesnt let u save tho, only export. but its cool if u keep it on...

to save projects you gotta buy it, of course

2. Get the songs: Use songs that you think can be sample, like soul songs, songs with good bass, slow songs, around that area, like Through the Fire, and other songs.

rock songs are harder to do and gospel songs are ok. Soul and blues are good.

3. Set up song speed: beatmap it n speed it up. from abuot 60 to 80

you can use any settings you want to set the overall speed of the song
put it to about 80
but if u wnat a faster song make it faster
but da objective is to SPEED IT UP. YOU MUST, I MEAN MUST SPEED IT UP AND MAKE IT SOUND ANNOYING TOO, THAT ALWAYS WORKS

ok now loop it n add drums

but u need a part to loop.
Example: on thru the fire by chaka kahn on the last chorus, use that n loop it...

and ya done....

to export: click file render as a
the recorded song will be a WAV file so u can fix it up or something or change it to mp3.

just play around and have fun...

other recommended programs:

audacity: to edit the song like fade in the beginning, fade out the end, and all types of other ****. to download, just go to yahoo and type in audacity because i forgot the audacity website url. and AUDACITY.COM dont work

it usually takes me about 4 minutes, n then i got a beat ive made thats real dope son fa real

poolpimp said:

next time ima use pictures since black ppl don't read....(im black also)
Please do us a favor and save the bandwidth for something else. I am white and didn't read it, weird :rolleyes:

I did a Chop and Screwed tutorial too, just cuz I hate it sooo much I thought I'd share w/ those who feel the same way...

1. Don't do it.

2. If u happen to find a wack song thats "screwable", why make it wacker by c&s'in it? Don't do it...

3. If you ever get the itch to c&s again, don't do it... locate a nearby bridge.

4. Step to the edge of that bridge and jump off.

5. ...

Damn...ya'll are some HATERS!!!
Cats jump on the hate wagon so fast in here, it's rediculous. While I'm not a huge fan of Screwed up isht, I respect him for putting us up on game, even if it is a little simple...Damn.

soulshock7 said:
Yall have earned yall degrees. PHD-Playing Hating Degree.

TEXAS #1.

I SEDDDDDD....BACK DEN....HOOOOES DDIIIDDNNT WONTT MEEE.....NAHHHHH IM HOTTTT.....HOOOOOEEESSS OOWWWWLLLLL ONNNNNN MEEEEE!!!!

top_image.jpg

LMAO @ "Call me"

Back