tuning drums

n.cube

how important is to to tune samples in hip hop? eg( snares, hi hats kicks, claps). how often do you guys do it and how do you to it?

You should "tune" them so they sound good, and you should "tune" them to add uniqueness to your specific sound. There are also general ranges of tunings for certain drums and certain styles/genres of music.

BUT-- If you mean should you tune them to specific notes on the keyboard, there are a variety of opinions on that topic, which includes both acoustic and sampled/electronic drums. Some people tune acoustic snare drums to fit with the key of the song (this was something I wasn't aware of a decade ago, when it was already a fairly regular practice-- even after I had been producing and arranging for quite a few years, after spending many years as a studio drummer). Others don't. Some people _insist_ that a kick drum, especially a sample or synth drum, and especially in certain genres, _must_ be tuned to certain notes. Others do not have that as a standard practice. So it kind of depends on what you want to do, how you're feeling about that, and how much time you want to spend with it.

If I'm going for a realistic drum sound with a sampled kit, my approach will be different than with an obviously sampled or synth/electronic kit.

GJ

Last edited:
The interesting thing about using drums that are not tuned is that (my opinion here) it can add a characteristic to the beat which can make it stand out more (in a good way) :).

Just my $.02

Tuning Varies, but it's Important

how important is to to tune samples in hip hop? eg( snares, hi hats kicks, claps). how often do you guys do it and how do you to it?

Honestly bro,it depends on how you want your beats to sound and if they are already mixed well. Every time I make a beat,whether i'm using leads or wave files of percussion,I tend to mix them with various tools in FL Studio. Now does that mean you are required to mix/tune your sounds? No. But this will help you in the long run when you may need to tweak a particular sound that bothers you, or to just learn more about mixing beats.Do I think that mixing/tuning percussion is necessary or important? Absolutely! But this doesn't mean you should do it because "All producers do it so I should do it". No!But instead, to learn more about production and widen your skill set to the point where you know how and when it's necessary to mix your percussion in your beats, or any other sound for that matter.But in the meantime,go work on some beats bro and keep hustling!I'll be doing the same.;)

I always try to tune. I'll just play around with transposing till it sounds like it fits. Im assuming sometimes I get it and sometimes I dont. But as long as it sounds like it fits then it should be good.

Back