Tired Of Yall dissin "Mumble Rap"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll take words I can understand without having to be under the influence. This new non-style is not going to be honored at any point in time and I state this as someone who doesn't negate the fact that every era had garbage.

ya, I agree with OGbama. Somebody like 2pac is still the legend, and will be forever, because we can understand his message. These new clowns can't even speak. It's the new drugs, ...they're making everybody sound, and act, like retards.

and ya bama, but usually the garbage doesn't get any attention. For some reason, we've flipped upside down and are giving idiots attention. lol, it'll get back to normal soon...

Last edited:
It's a balance. I particularly don't care for it but on the flip, there are plenty of artists who you CAN understand, and they garbage too. It's a argument that can go on for days. I'd like to think I'm nice wit it but, there may be some cats who'll say otherwise. Everyone has reasoning for liking or not liking someone. Nowadays, the reason the game seems twisted imo, is because it's more focused on the beats.. This is why mumble rap exists. Todays fan doesn't care about lyrics.

I think it has a lane, I just don't think it should be put under the umbrella with the wu-tang's of the world. I think its ok for Hip-Hop/rap to have sub-genres and they have always existed whether they were acknowledged or not. Mumble rap is just a sub-genre some enjoy and some don't. Personally I don't care to look out for it but sometimes I do enjoy songs classified as mumble rap however that is mainly usually do with the beat (shout out all the producers and mixing engineers).

It's all just perspective nothing more.
The same way you don't relate to it is the same way others do relate to it.

We have always had stuff people didn't like that others were embracing, a good example would be Puffy and Mase.
A lot of people didn't care for his direct sample lifts and flash suits while others thought it was the greatest thing ever.

As long as mumble continues to deliver beats that strippers can shake to, cars can bang to or that people can get their drug on to it will be around.

Wanna know what's worst than mumble?
Old rappers still trying to be in the game.:cry:

If everyone who criticized hip-hop's modern state started writing rhymes and producing tracks, there would be no mumble rap.

...Wanna know what's worst than mumble?

Why is age in Hip Hop so despised by the youth? How is it different than older singers & musicians in other genres?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all just perspective nothing more.
The same way you don't relate to it is the same way others do relate to it.

We have always had stuff people didn't like that others were embracing, a good example would be Puffy and Mase.
A lot of people didn't care for his direct sample lifts and flash suits while others thought it was the greatest thing ever.

As long as mumble continues to deliver beats that strippers can shake to, cars can bang to or that people can get their drug on to it will be around.

Wanna know what's worst than mumble?

name one mumble rapper better than any old rapper? mumble rap is trash because anyone can do it therefore its not talent all these dudes come and go fast 4 a reason they suck and u cant have a long music career based on a lame trend/gimmick

Why is age in Hip Hop so despised by the youth? How is it different than older singers & musicians in other genres?

Age is despised because Hip Hop has been historically youth focused and promotes prolonged adolescence. Relate that to the demo that the music commercially targets while shutting out older listeners and it narrows what artists can rap about and keeps the music infantile.

I don't weigh in on this stuff often, but I heard one today (let's call him "tiny spout").

"Igahbeeshesinnahose, callaflahnose, rathaseeyahangalocka bominothaclothes..."

I'm inclined to agree with those that think this trend is a new low in every way...

GJ

These days it's all about the producers. Very few rappers actually manage to mesh well enough with a beat to be considered the beat itself.
Being completely real with yall, very few rappers will actually make the beat.

I think there there was bad rap since it first started. If you think about it every era had bad songs. You need bad songs so you can have good songs. I think when it comes to mumble rap you have to really blame the influence of mainstream culture and radio because they are pushing this kind of music to the general public. Whether we like it or not, is up to the listener. People HATED Rock when it got popular it comes with the territory. But if the problem resides around mumble rap ruining hip hop, I would say that we just need to be more proactive in taking accountability when making music. As producers and engineers we could raise our standards during sessions. We can be more critical, we can demand more from the artist. We can make better music. We keep talking about mumble rap but who are the top artists in the game right now. Think about it. Nobody brings up lil pumps name or lil Yachty (No disrespect to them. Thats just fact). We say people like a Kendrick Lamar, J Cole, logic..etc. If that's the case it proves that musicianship and artistry is still important.
As a hip hop community we need to hold all artists to higher standard and promote more competition. THat's what made hip hop great to begin with. That's just my two sense.

I guess I'll try to do some pro-bono consultant work for the mumble rap advocates, as they seem to be without much proper defense.

1. As a compositional device it's use in earlier stages of the lyric writing process is most notably documented in the account of Yesterday by The Beatles. Specifically McCartney began with "Scrambled eggs, oh, my baby, how I love your legs...". Traditionally this is used as a placeholder until a final form is created, but it's important to note similar accounts start with essentially non-words being used as placeholders of syllables or rhymes intended.
(Yesterday: the song that started as Scrambled Eggs - Telegraph)

2. Ever increasing complexity of poetic devices as well as depth of thought have become a staple of the genre for quite some time, but lurking beneath the surface there has always existed a simple straightforward current of less attention consuming/sensitive styles that appeals to a wide swath of consumers. To step back from this smaller frame of reference and plot it's trajectory amongst a grander scale, we can see historical precedence for this current "phenomenon". Insert Mark Twain quote, "History never repeats itself, but the Kaleidoscopic combinations of the pictured present often seem to be constructed out of the broken fragments of antique legends" to presuppose this historical assertion "First there was 60s folk, then 70s punk, then 90s grunge. Whenever pop music starts to get too fancy, there’s a swing back toward simplicity. There’s a return to its roots. Every virtuoso phase is followed by a folk rebellion."
(History Does Not Repeat Itself, But It Rhymes | Quote Investigator)
(Grunge and Philosophy | The Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series)

3. In the same vein as Yin and Yang, mumble rap is complementary to it's more lyrically complex counterpart. Largely absent from the ongoing discussion at hand is that while the contrasts seem stark the fact remains that both "give rise to each other as they interrelate to one another". The question has to be asked, if it isn't concise ideas being clearly communicated in what seems to be regarded as a more traditional sense what does the lack of verbage allow to flourish in such performances? I would say it's the conveyance of an emotion that is presented under the premise that clear words may be in fact hindering the transmission, in essence diluting it, and to avoid having the emotions texture become subservient to subsequent "translations" words themselves are treated as almost an enemy.
(Yin and yang - Wikipedia)

4. I really can't stop shaking my head at the irony of this entire pursuit. Even more shameful is the fact that I can continue spouting along these lines all day, but I'll do everyone a favor and end it here.

Mumble rap is all about the beat these dudes add nothing to a beat ever these producers be carrying these artist only so they can fade away months later while kendrick and cole will keep goin strong because they actually have talent and a real fan base that will stick until they retire

I told my homeboys that sold crack in the 80s and 90s they couldn't be mad at mumble rappers or rappers that keep repeating themselves, because it's their damned fault their stangs kid came out retarded. Chuuuuuch!

#HeavensUPRecords

Last edited:
Every era has it's genres/styles and every era has garbage. For 90s peeps it was boy bands. lol.
I don't want to insult anyone, but I agree with something I think Melle Mel said that rap is low hanging fruit right now. It's become so easy to do, so everyone does it and it's all pretty bad. We need the next era of hip-hop/rap to come along with something new and exciting again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back