Thoughts On Mumble Rap?

I personally do not know anyone who has said "I want to be a moron when I grow up"...but these guys seem to have proclaimed that goal at one point or another.

I'm with Pete on this, I mean, anyone who cares about music can't honestly say to themselves that these "artists" are doing anything to further the progression of music...or furthering anything, really...except for now, anyone will think they are a skilled rapper; even if they are speaking nonsense, with no refined rhythmic delivery. It's a movement to devolve the consciousness that we have achieved IMO. People might think I'm crazy, but I seriously see this as a possible method of weaponizing music against the public to make us stupider.

Hiphop on the radio used to convey a great sense of pride in being educated. Some of the MC's I listened to growing up, inspired me to further my education far beyond what I normally would have done, even outside of the educational system. Now, speaking jibberish is commonplace, accepted and unfortunately is popular enough to seduce millions of people. So these young people grow up thinking "this is hiphop" or "this is a great rapper", unless someone shows them otherwise. It's sad really, but I see this as a new opportunity for real hiphop to surface once again and crush the idiocracy.

I've seen the arguments all over the internet from both sides and although I am obviously biased, because I love good music from around the world, but this "genre" (if it is that) isn't good music. It's some of the most pathetic expression I've ever heard in my life. These dudes seem to make it their argument that since they are not fond of hiphop, or the history of hiphop...or even what hiphop culture is about, that it's ok to recite a mediocre verse. They publicly denounce anyone who raises an argument or questions their abilities and deems them as haters, and consistently attempt to justify their stupidity.

In my experience, when rappers mumble; it relays an immediate message that they know they are garbage, have nothing to say, and have zero confidencein their ability as they hide behind the beat. I'm sure alot of hiphop heads have heard a battle where one party is really subtle and attempts to mask his/her lack of skills by mumbling or making it so people cannot understand what they are saying. It's a coping/defense mechanism to keep from being ridiculed.

My position is that, this is not hiphop or rap at all and these guys can have their own genre, because it sure as hell has nothing to do with hiphop. They can go on with their transgendering and less than mediocre music processes as they please, because it sounds to me like they have suffered severe brain injury or have some sort of learning disorder. And that's ok, just don't pretend like you're dope and talk shit on the people that have put in the work to become great MC's/writers/performers, when your functioning level is at the sub 25% range and you clearly have no respect for the artform.

Last edited:
I don't understand why Pete even bothered to acknowledge him. Its like when old men criticize the youth-no matter how valid your point is, your criticism will always reflect negatively on you, hence the saying "get off my lawn!".

Mumble rap HAS AN AUDIENCE. Let them enjoy. If they're making catchy music, who are we to discredit them? Sadly, it's a trend that's not going to go away until the real rappers get the recognition in the mainstream market that they deserve. For now, it's all heavy 808s and dance moves. Bars still exist, just have to go look for it.

Yeah mumble rap sucks, but I love heavy 808s, forget the dance moves, maybe some crip walking or some pop locking is alright. Lol

Back