There is no War on Hip Hop.

"Future, this immediate generation's great, mournful, lowbrow boom-poet, is not the most verbose, or the most athletic, or the most apparently careful rapper you've ever heard, but he's a nonetheless fascinating songwriter. When I listen to "Trap Niggas," for instance, I hear a ton of information about Future's mood and disposition, his inner life, his surroundings, and his circumstances. I hear a prayer for the dope boys of Atlanta. I hear a literary perspective. I hear lyrics."

..and I'm supposed to take this clearly skewed article seriously? Just because you hear Wet Dreamz on a Saturday morning at 10am while Chris Brown, Drake, Nicki Minaj, Future, Migos and all them other trap rappers are on the rest of the time doesn't mean radio programmers aren't against hip hop. And why even bring up the Indie500 interview in the beginning?

Last edited:
...and 2014 Forest Hills didn't officially sell 1 million copies until September 2, 2015. The writer tried to use the inflated Tidal "sales" numbers from him being a part owner and having the album streamed.

"Reporters" nowadays try too hard to convince people of nonsense. I'm pretty sure The FP Usual Suspects will have plenty of hip hop hate to argue about.

The girth of the article is true though. Some of the best selling artists are actually deeper artists who don't do soley party music. J Cole and Kdot are key examples of successful artists who aren't party music or trap artists. Highly reviewed and music heavily listened too.

The girth of the article is true though. Some of the best selling artists are actually deeper artists who don't do soley party music. J Cole and Kdot are key examples of successful artists who aren't party music or trap artists. Highly reviewed and music heavily listened too.

Very true, but what percentage of trap artists vs deeper artists in rap do you think there is sales-wise? Artists should be able to have at least a couple deep joints on their album and not just 15 strip club/goon/trap bangers all meant for the radio.

Eminem, Drake, Iggy Azalea, Rick Ross, Childish Gambino, Schoolboy Q, Macklemore, Jeezy, YG, Yo Gotti, Wiz Khalifa, Kid Ink in the Top 25.

IMO that's arguably 4 conscious artists (Eminem, Drake, Childish, Macklemore) to 8 turn up artists...still a little closer than I expected.

One thing though - how did some of these albums come out in 2013, but are labeled Year End 2014? The Heist went platinum (#17) while Internet sold 377K (#11)...not sure how this works out.

Wiz Khalifa's song "See You Again" ft. Charlie Puth got over 1,000,000,000 (one billion) views on YouTube. The song was a tribute to Paul Walker. It was meaningful and had solid rhymes, real subject matter, a nice beat, a catchy hook, and a great melody.

Wiz Khalifa won.

Wiz Khalifa's song "See You Again" ft. Charlie Puth got over 1,000,000,000 (one billion) views on YouTube. The song was a tribute to Paul Walker. It was meaningful and had solid rhymes, real subject matter, a nice beat, a catchy hook, and a great melody.

Wiz Khalifa won.

He did with the genius of Brian Tyler.

Their measuring album sales for that year so it excludes what's sold the year before and that's why albums from the previous years can still make it on the list.

Back