Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is There A Difference In A Producer vs Beat Maker If So What's Your Take On It?

Thanks

Is There A Difference In A Producer vs Beat Maker If So What's Your Take On It?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Producers vs Beat Makers What's Your Opinion:

IM LOOKING FOR BOTH:

Thanks
    A beatmaker is somebody who virtually just makes the beat, hands it in and is done with his part of the song. Most of us on here would fit under this title.

A producer is someone who will make the beat, develop the concept of the song or album, put his hand in how the song sounds mixing/mastering wise, oversee extra instrumentation if need be, things like that. Kanye West is a producer. The Neptunes are producers. Dr. Dre is a producer.

Nothing wrong with being either one, but that's how I see it. There are a lot of beatmakers who've had billboard hits.
    Last edited by Sixth; 11-08-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Thanks
    Most logical explanation

Hip Hop Producer/Beatmaker

Hip hop production is the creation of hip hop music. Though the term encompasses all aspects of hip hop music, it's most commonly used to refer to the instrumental, non-lyrical aspects of hip hop. This means that hip hop producers are the instrumentalists involved in a work. Modern hip hop production uses samplers, sequencers, drum machines, synthesizers, turntables, and live instrumentation. A hip hop instrumental is casually referred to as a beat, and a hip hop producer is casually referred to as a beatmaker. However, in the studio, a hip hop producer also functions as a traditional record producer, being the person who is ultimately responsible for the final sound of a recording.

Record Producer

A record producer is an individual working within the music industry, whose job is to oversee and manage the recording (i.e. "production") of an artist's music. A producer has many roles that may include, but are not limited to, gathering ideas for the project, selecting songs and/or musicians, coaching the artist and musicians in the studio, controlling the recording sessions, and supervising the entire process through mixing and mastering. Producers also often take on a wider entrepreneurial role, with responsibility for the budget, schedules, and negotiations

In Hip Hop the words "beatmaker" and "producer" are the same thing. This means if you make beats all day and just send them out to artist you are never in the studio with you are a producer. However you may not be the actual "Record" producer

A Record Producer is responsible for making records. They have a vision and through whatever means (hiring musicians, hiring songwriters, having someone else make the beat, ect) they turn that vision into an actual record.

Thanks
    There's a difference between an entire Album's "Executive Producer" and an individual song's "Producer". Their jobs vary as well. There is definitively no such thing as a "beatmaker". Closest thing to it would be a Drummer or Drum/sampler programmer, or keyboardist and they are creditted accordingly.

This subject is old and played at this point. If you've done enough that the EXECUTIVE PRODUCER of a project who oversees everything feels you produced the record in question and gives you credit for doing so, you "produced" the record. Whether all you did was email a beat or if you sat thru the entire process. Even Timbo, Dre, Pharrell, Max martin, ect. have "produced" records from thousands of miles away.
    Last edited by deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup; 11-08-2011 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks
    A beatmaker.....makes beats.

A producer......navigates the recording process.

As a beatmaker, one should aspire to become a full fledged producer.
    Last edited by SFTRAXX; 11-08-2011 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks
    ^^^So what if you're a grammy winning Producer/Engineer/Financial advisor/Promotor, but the artist you email a beat to passes on all your services because his boy does his mixes and he don't have the budget to fly you out? Do you instantly become a "beatmaker"?

If not, then what difference does it make that you Can do all that stuff and the next man can't if you both have the same contribution to a musical work?

Folk are pretty illogical while trying to convince themselves you're supposed to be doing more.

Again, FACT. Definitively there is no such job title as "beatmaker". It's not just hip hop. Max Martin can make a "beat" for Pink and she can record to it without ever being in the room with him, he will be recognized in the credits that an exec oversees and confirms as the PRODUCER. But maybe we all know more than that exec over at Sony?
    Last edited by deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup; 11-08-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup View Post
    ^^^So what if you're a grammy winning Producer/Engineer/Financial advisor/Promotor, but the artist you email a beat to passes on all your services because his boy does his mixes and he don't have the budget to fly you out? Do you instantly become a "beatmaker"?
    No, you're the producer, who made the beat.

I was speaking in terms of beatmakers who just just make beats and don't really ever have a hand in the recording process.

Again, FACT. Definitively there is no such job title as "beatmaker".
    Even tho technically there is no "Beatmaker" title Ive heard plenty of "industry cats" refer to the guy who made the beat as the beatmaker.

Folk are pretty illogical while trying to convince themselves you're supposed to be doing more.
    Being "just" a beatmaker is fine in my book, if all you want to do is make beats. To me, a beatmaker is more of a composer, a music arranger.

he will be recognized in the credits that an exec oversees and confirms as the PRODUCER.
    Thats fine, but a producer IMO (as I stated before) has more of a hand in the entire recording process.
    Last edited by SFTRAXX; 11-08-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Thanks
    ^^^Even when he offers his input and it's turned down? This is a real world everyday scenario for majority of the "producers" getting constant work. Do you think Just Blaze or even B.M. Cox has "control over the room" in a session with Puff Daddy?

Not arguing, sometimes it seem like I'm typing aggressively, just having general convo.

Thanks
    ^^^Even when he offers his input and it's turned down? This is a real world everyday scenario for majority of the "producers" getting constant work. Do you think Just Blaze or even B.M. Cox has "control over the room" in a session with Puff Daddy?

Not arguing, sometimes it seem like I'm typing aggressively, just having general convo.
    I can dig it. Never no hard feelings in my direction. Its only music.

Deranged,
    What I'm getting at is:

Lets say you sent in a beat to an artist and they take it to the a studio, at that studio the in house producer assists the artist in the direction of the song and records the artists music over it, who in your opinion is the producer?

The guy who made the beat, or the person who assisted in the production of the final product?

(IMO this is where the difference lies...)
    Last edited by SFTRAXX; 11-08-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Thanks
    Do the titles matter if you're not getting paid according to the title...

I just made a beat... (with Rhino2)

... more

Last edited by BiggRome 2.0; 11-08-2011 at 05:36 PM.

Thread Information