AT&T, Comcast Onboard With RIAA Anti-Piracy Program

JSLmusic

fp's most underated
Updated: ISPs Discuss Anti-Piracy Initiatives

March 25, 2009 - Digital and Mobile

By Antony Bruno, Denver

Internet service providers AT&T and Comcast outlined their efforts to work with the music industry to combat online piracy during a panel session at the Leadership Music Digital Summit in Nashville this week.

Contrary to earlier reports, neither ISP has threatened to disable the Internet access of any of their subscribers as part of a “graduated response” program—otherwise known as a “three strikes” policy—advocated by the RIAA.

Instead, the ISPs are sending letters to customers identified by the RIAA informing them that some kind of copyright infringement has taken place on their account, but with no planned action outlined.

A Comcast spokesman clarified that the notices are part of on ongoing policy of responding to copyright owners complaints.

"Comcast, like other major ISPs, forwards notices of alleged infringement that we receive from music, movie, videogame, and other content owners to our customers,” he says. “This is the same process we've had in place for years-- nothing has changed. While we have always supported copyright holders in their efforts to reduce piracy under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), and continue to do so, we have no plans to test a so-called 'three-strikes-and-you're-out' policy."

Ever since the RIAA late last year said it would end its litigation campaign against individual file-sharing users in favor of a new strategy that enlists ISPs to police their networks, speculation has run rampant over exactly which companies were involved.

Under the RIAA’s plan, it would provide the ISPs with the IP addresses of users suspected of uploading music to unauthorized P2P networks, and the ISP would then send those users a notice informing them their account could be deactivated unless they stop.

Needless to say, the issue is a highly sensitive and controversial one for the ISPs, and they are approaching it with a great degree of care. Last October, Cox Communications began sending similar notifications, warning users it may “temporarily disable” the accounts of users found to have shared copyrighted files.

Band-aid on a bullet wound. It's too late they should've nipped it in the bud from the start.

Last edited by a moderator:
well at least someone's doing something now so the wastefull litigations can end. better now than never IMO. the way I see it, if I dont wanna be a slave to the Majors and am investing thousands of $$$ into my projects and folks are hosting and leaking it all over the net I would be pissed too. of course a lot of it is occuring overseas and you cant really touch them so...

Yeah, it's a little to late for them to step up.
But this got me thinking, what valid argument would they have for stoping piracy? Somebody uploading a cd to the internet for his/her friends to download would technically be the same as that same person burning copies of that cd for they're friends. Would they stomp down on cd burners too? I'm not saying that I like it, but how can they stop it?
I'm curious...

Last edited:
The labels might as well give the music away for free online. The Only people that buy albums are the people who support that artists. There is no use for an album on cd in todays world. im a college student and i dont know anyone who uses CD's anymore, not even in their cars. I mean, lets be real, who is scared of getting caught for downloading music illegally.

Just put the music out for free (its free the 5 days before the official release anyway lol) and the people who support the artist will go out and buy the albums. don prosecute the people becuase you chose to keep a dying, seemingly obsolete format alive

Shaudie said:
Yeah, it's a little to late for them to step up.
But this got me thinking, what valid argument would they have for stoping piracy? Somebody uploading a cd to the internet for his/her friends to download would technically be the same as that same person burning copies of that cd for they're friends. Would they stomp down on cd burners too? I'm not saying that I like it, but how can they stop it?
I'm curious...

I believe they are mainly concerned with the folks hosting large sites/forums/blogs full of albums because much of content on there in in the first place wasnt obtained legally...for example, theres no good reason why an album should be on a website 1-3 months prior to release date for everyone to grab for free.

They'll never stop this.. as long as there is internet there will be illegal downloading.

I dont even need a PSP site, anybody can download any type of media from any website. I got a plug-in with Firefox that lets me download anything I want.

I could go to to an official major label record site, stream a song, and rip it right from the website.

They should of done something about it a long time ago. If they tried to bring an argument people just gonna be saying what for because its been going on this long and I dont think there has been much effort to stop it.

Caine said:
They'll never stop this.. as long as there is internet there will be illegal downloading.

I dont even need a PSP site, anybody can download any type of media from any website. I got a plug-in with Firefox that lets me download anything I want.

I could go to to an official major label record site, stream a song, and rip it right from the website.

They should of done something about it a long time ago. If they tried to bring an argument people just gonna be saying what for because its been going on this long and I dont think there has been much effort to stop it.

thats what im saying. i dont even use p2p programs anymore. you can find pretty much anything with google lol. the labels are to late in the game. the damage is done and irreversible

actually the RIAA and the ISPs have been going back and forth about this since the 90s. something as big as this doesnt always get worked out quickly especially since the ISPs are probably making money from hosting costs and usage. laws and technology change, whether it shifts in the consumers, pirates, or the Recording industry's favor in the next few years is anybody's guess IMO. The thing im trying to figure out is on a site like Future producers of all places, cats are saying f*ck the RIAA... they are trying to help you get paid for your hard work if you ever decide to actually do anything in the industry (major or indie or self financed), why would you want their efforts to be squashed?

they arent concerned with the kid using a firefox plugin, just like they werent concerned with the kid in the 80s/90s using their walkman or boombox to dub a single off the radio instead of going to sam goody to cop the cassette/cd. They are more concerned with the guys that have 100s of GB/TB of material posted up on a website or blog, giving it out to folks...

Caine said:

I have yet to find one that works on imeem.

dmensah1 said:
actually the RIAA and the ISPs have been going back and forth about this since the 90s. something as big as this doesnt always get worked out quickly especially since the ISPs are probably making money from hosting costs and usage. laws and technology change, whether it shifts in the consumers, pirates, or the Recording industry's favor in the next few years is anybody's guess IMO. The thing im trying to figure out is on a site like Future producers of all places, cats are saying f*ck the RIAA... they are trying to help you get paid for your hard work if you ever decide to actually do anything in the industry (major or indie or self financed), why would you want their efforts to be squashed?

There's the dividing line. Every "they can't stop it" "they should have done this a long time ago" it's too late" response just shows who on here is really trying to make this a business vs. hobbyist (who doesn't value music and would steal it in a heartbeat).

yeah, im all for this. anyone who says 'give it all away for free' and 'we shouldnt have to pay for music' doesn't understand IP rights and what means to hold a copyright. punk napster kids. **slap**

Preaux said:
[

There's the dividing line. Every "they can't stop it" "they should have done this a long time ago" it's too late" response just shows who on here is really trying to make this a business vs. hobbyist (who doesn't value music and would steal it in a heartbeat).

Lets be real here. now how would u feel if the recording industry was tryna push cassettes or vinyl on consumers? Speaking from a consumer perspective and not a producer, why the **** would i wanna buy a damn cd when im just gonna put the music on my ipod??? that what goes through the consumers mind. im all for making money but u gotta look at the reality of the situation.

mistaox said:
I have yet to find one that works on imeem.
i have lol

Vote Jai said:
RIAA-- Fukkum. They've had years to get with the program..
I find it funny how people that create music can be for illegal downloading of music... just wait until it happens to you and see if you have the same position.

And its not impossible(technically) to stop internet piracy. If they made a law saying the ISP's were responsible for illegal downloading then it would be stopped in a instant. Anything that is sent through a computer can be tracked so they could easily see what your downloading and charge you accordingly.

Last edited:
DJ_ARCH said:
Lets be real here. now how would u feel if the recording industry was tryna push cassettes or vinyl on consumers? Speaking from a consumer perspective and not a producer, why the **** would i wanna buy a damn cd when im just gonna put the music on my ipod??? that what goes through the consumers mind. im all for making money but u gotta look at the reality of the situation.

i have lol

Their goal isn't to force you buy an actual "CD." The goal is to have you actually "PAY" for the product, whether it be mp3 download or whatever other format, as opposed to illegally downloading it. So what are you talking about?

Last edited:
Back