AT&T, Comcast Onboard With RIAA Anti-Piracy Program

LOL. People rooting for the RIAA are very ignorant. The RIAA and the record label bosses don't give a flying f*ck about artists. They care about their own pockets.

That's why they only fight so hard to protect CDs. Most of the money from CD sales go to their pockets while artists pocket from touring, publishing and merchandise.

They could easily sit around a table a find a way to license EVERYBODY so that they could monetize society's current behaviours. But since that would benifit the artists more than it would benifit them (at least that's how they see it) that couldn't be bothered even though they had 10 years to do so.

The touring indusrty is dominated by old artists and there a very few new artists that can compete, but since record labels don't make money from it (except when the convinced some dumb artists to sign 360 deals) the don't care about it.

I love the music industry but I hate this current system.

calmAss said:
LOL. People rooting for the RIAA are very ignorant. The RIAA and the record label bosses don't give a flying f*ck about artists. They care about their own pockets.

That's why they only fight so hard to protect CDs. Most of the money from CD sales go to their pockets while artists pocket from touring, publishing and merchandise.

They could easily sit around a table a find a way to license EVERYBODY so that they could monetize society's current behaviours. But since that would benifit the artists more than it would benifit them (at least that's how they see it) that couldn't be bothered even though they had 10 years to do so.

The touring indusrty is dominated by old artists and there a very few new artists that can compete, but since record labels don't make money from it (except when the convinced some dumb artists to sign 360 deals) the don't care about it.

Anything that hurts sells will eventually hurt the artist. Of course the execs make a ton of money off the artists. I dont see how **** the RIAA helps anyone but ppl downloading.

Wish em good luck on that one,
Seriously it's like fighting terrorism, you get one or 2 and the next 100 are ready to go. But hey whatever it takes to keep theyre jobs right?

Preaux said:
dmensah1 said:
There's the dividing line. Every "they can't stop it" "they should have done this a long time ago" it's too late" response just shows who on here is really trying to make this a business vs. hobbyist (who doesn't value music and would steal it in a heartbeat).

Not necessarily. What i was saying is that they should have done this along time & stopped it from the start w/ Napster. I dont believe it can be stopped now b/c it's too widespread. Only time will tell though. If there's a possibility for me to make more money off my music in the future of course i'm all for it.

Tha_Remedy said:
I find it funny how people that create music can be for illegal downloading of music... just wait until it happens to you and see if you have the same position.

Is that what I said-- that I was "for illegal downloading of music?" I just said "fukkum." I couldn't care less about the RIAA.

Do I care about the artists? Sure. But there are a million marketing tools for artists today. The window of opportunity for exposure is open wider than ever. It's never been more possible to make YOUR OWN moves and money from your music.

People dream to make it to the majors-- sign with big labels. The truth is, they aren't paying much more than you could make on your own with a business license, and the will to promote your material, 24/7 if necessary.

Imo, a collapse of the private corporate entities that make up the RIAA is exactly what's needed to bring them back down to earth. Maybe they'd learn to appreciate the acts they sell.

Last edited:
calmAss said:

ignorant? excuse me but legit purchases are what Producers eat off of, regardless of whether label bosses are "lining pockets" or not. If you are a producer and people are bootlegging and leaking your tracks (ex: a demo song for Rihanna or Pink that you did with kara DioGaurdi), you arent making as much money as you should, period. Yes, it is looking like a little poetric justice that majors get burned, but just as you spite them, you spite everyone else involved in the project that is far from rich.

Artists can go tour, act, or do endorsements to make additional money off of the project, producers and songwriters cant. album/single sales, be it physical CD or digital download matter and anything that the industry does to prevent large-scale pirating and leaking I'm cool with.

if you put up $10,000 out of your own pocket to record, mix, master, and promote you or your artist's own project so you dont have to be a Major Industry slave and folks decide to flood the net with it instead of buying it, youll be cool with that?

but enough of that, im done. said my piece. nice debate in here :)

Last edited:
I havent bought an album on any format in...... hmmm..... 5 years now? And I dont think I ever will again..

SUCCS HUH?

Last edited:
dmensah1 said:
ignorant? excuse me but legit purchases are what Producers eat off of, regardless of whether label bosses are "lining pockets" or not. If you are a producer and people are bootlegging and leaking your tracks (ex: a demo song for Rihanna or Pink that you did with kara DioGaurdi), you arent making as much money as you should, period. Yes, it is looking like a little poetric justice that majors get burned, but just as you spite them, you spite everyone else involved in the project that is far from rich.

Artists can go tour, act, or do endorsements to make additional money off of the project, producers and songwriters cant. album/single sales, be it physical CD or digital download matter and anything that the industry does to prevent large-scale pirating and leaking I'm cool with.

if you put up $10,000 out of your own pocket to record, mix, master, and promote you or your artist's own project so you dont have to be a Major Industry slave and folks decide to flood the net with it instead of buying it, youll be cool with that?

but enough of that, im done. said my piece. nice debate in here :)

Maybe ignorant was a strong word. I should have used misinformed. But I stand by what I said.

Producers and songwriters make most of their money from CD sales? REALLY???

2% to 3% of CD profits divided according to the % of the album you produced?

Producers and songwriters make more money from publishing. That's why EVERYONE wants your publishing.

And that's where the money will be. These guys that the RIAA are fighting against (torrent site, youtube ect) have made music the most consumed product in the world and they are loosing sleep trying to come up with a way to monetise it. I trust these guys more to come up with a solution.

calmAss said:
Maybe ignorant was a strong word. I should have used misinformed. But I stand by what I said.

Producers and songwriters make most of their money from CD sales? REALLY???

2% to 3% of CD profits divided according to the % of the album you produced?

Producers and songwriters make more money from publishing. That's why EVERYONE wants your publishing.

And that's where the money will be. These guys that the RIAA are fighting against (torrent site, youtube ect) have made music the most consumed product in the world and they are loosing sleep trying to come up with a way to monetise it. I trust these guys more to come up with a solution.

alright, let's clear a few things up:

1. Where did I say in my post that producers make most of their money from CDs? please show me. I said album and single sales be it physical or digital download (i.e: legit purchases) matter for producers and songwriters. Furthermore, percentages for CD sales can be quite a bit higher than you suggested depending on the project and who "owns" it, which is why I spoke on how this affects Indie and Self-Financed projects as well. which takes me to # 2...

2. i didnt see a clear enough response to my $10,000 project question. so would you be cool with folks bootlegging your project? Even if you were to go into the Red financially?

Last edited:
Back