The swag of my Soundclick layout is up there with Vybe Beatz and them(but not SSO/JJ)

dude, when an artist sees the phrase "free download", the word "illegal" probably doesn't cross his mind.

i'm only asking these questions because i don't know the answers...
:cheers:

You're right, "illegal" doesn't cross their mind...but it doesn't have to.

It not a fail if someone does DL one of my free beats and uses it. It's free advertising.

These aren't your target. Your target are the others who are actually doing something of VALUE with their music. Those people become your first time buyers and eventually become repeat clients if they are able to keep the ball rolling on their side.

Another word of advice to you future producers...Just because you are doing most of your sales online, doesn't mean you shouldn't be more involved with the artist that purchases from you. This is KEY to getting more sales people.

Don't just sit there with your soundclick making you a sale here and there. There is work to do after the sale. Offer to do the mixing or mastering, offer to do a remix, offer a feature on your site, offer to mix a track you didn't even sell them. Even offer to do it for free the first time to show them what you can do. Make sure when you give them something free, there IS something you have they may want to purchase. Then sell them that.

I can go all day...

The people that do come back and buy your exclusive were the same people you were hoping to find in the first place before you started giving stuff out for "free"...serious artists that are ACTUALLY MAKING MONEY off of your "free" stuff are going to come back to you...especially if you CONTINUALLY have updated free content for them to check out

that makes sense...

it's just that in my experience, most of the artists that use Soundclick beats aren't "serious"...YET.

but i see what you are saying. once they DO decide to get serious, they already know who to come to...the same guy(s) they been gettin' their tracks from the whole time; since day one.

in other words...THE LEASES / LICENSES "GROW" W/ THE ARTISTS.

nicki-minaj-01.jpg

Out of the tens of millions of hits you get on your page, you're going to find a decent group of people who are talented and take advantage of what is presented here. Some of them already have money and in which case, if they love what they have written to your material, they are going to want to buy it outright before anyone else buys it.

For those without money...

You provide them either a free beat or a non-exclusive license. They go out and perform a show, sell some cds, get a larger following locally. And they come back to get the legit beat so they can actually make a real album and not an mp3 mixtape with a bunch of tags.

ok...still making perfect sense...

:D

In the meantime, whether they decide to sell as is or distribute for free before buying the exclusive license...you are getting free advertising with your tags.

After a while, everyone recognizes your tags to the point when people hear it, they know exactly where this person DLed the beat from. And for other artists that are hearing it, you might find even more potential buyers.

very true...

The person purchasing the beat will have a better version, no tags, and if they have their business model on point, they will quickly over shadow any previous version even if a fan has heard on before (but in all likely-hood, they will have never heard it before until the exclusive version.)

more solid points...

Non-ex buyers or free DL'ers tend to be people with free time on their hands, are trying to learn, are cheap and can't afford to do any shows or anything else that can help them really sell their product, don't really know what their doing, and or aren't even serious in the first place among other things.

word...basically "non-factors"...

But you have to get these people to your website in order to find those handful of exclusive buyers. Anyone else, you set limits on what they can do to "force" them (how you put it) to say, "Ok, I want to go ahead an purchase the full license so I can get a legit album together." They aren't going to want anything tagged, they want the best quality (wav), and they want to be able to mix it with their vocals properly with the actual stems. And since an ex license provides all of that along with having no limits on the the number they can distribute, it makes the EX license an easy buy especially if you have your prices set up right.

If you didn't get it before, I hope you get it now.

wow man...you really laid that shyt out perfectly!

i don't even have any more questions.

AWESOME POST
:victory:

curious in how he does business...could be legit, could work better, who knows. Do tell if you want.

i'm just a "student" man.

some concepts just don't make sense the first time you hear them...but once thoroughly explained, they make perfect sense.

shyt, i just learned something...and i'm glad you made that post because it's prolly gonna teach a whole lot of people w/ little to no ego & a thirst for knowledge and understanding a lot.

You're right, "illegal" doesn't cross their mind...but it doesn't have to.

It not a fail if someone does DL one of my free beats and uses it. It's free advertising.

These aren't your target. Your target are the others who are actually doing something of VALUE with their music. Those people become your first time buyers and eventually become repeat clients if they are able to keep the ball rolling on their side.

awesome post man...

close to perfect.
:cheers:

Not gonna lie RSE, the layout is tight. Now just get some decent beats up there lol.

Edit: took a quick trip to Johnny Juliano's page....god damn that thing is pretty; takes forever and a day to load though.

Did you just see it or did you see the new version? I got rid of some of those weird green pics and bs like that and added pictures of actual rappers? that's legal right? Tell me what you think about song pics?

Did you just see it or did you see the new version? I got rid of some of those weird green pics and bs like that and added pictures of actual rappers? that's legal right? Tell me what you think about song pics?

Yeah I saw the new version; like I said, it looks good. The song pics are cool, I like them because they sort of give you a feel for who the producer thinks would be rapping on them, and the artist can quickly browse them.

Yeah I saw the new version; like I said, it looks good. The song pics are cool, I like them because they sort of give you a feel for who the producer thinks would be rapping on them, and the artist can quickly browse them.

That's exactly what I was trying to do. Do you think the rappers match with the songs?

Also, I put one of those chatback boxes from the Google Talk website where it shows a chat right on the page. But I was wondering what do you guys think is better? An AIM window like most people have? A big colorful one? Or a small discreet message that says: Need Help? Questions? CLICK NOW to ask me IN-CHAT. --Thats what I have now but do you guys think the AIM looks more obvious? Or is the discreet one I have on there, (twice), is obvious enough?

I personelly like it reall and professional modest colors and simple to read and understand the only thing is maybe like make it seem like your more legit like FAQs or support email stuff like that give them some comfort especially sence everyone is sceptical about buying something off of the internet .

I decided to go with the in page annonymous chat instead of the FAQ to build trust. Do you think having both would be redundant?

Not gonna lie RSE, the layout is tight. Now just get some decent beats up there lol.

I WIILLLLLLLLL!! LET ME DO IT!!! Just give me a minute!! JESUS CHRISTT!!!!

(lol)

And what about having sexy girls in the song pics? Is it professional? Does it actually work?

Anyones opinions would be helpful thanks, im trying to decide on some details.

Last edited:
The sexy girls thing gets me...cats do this on Myspace all the time...it's like you know these dudes don't know these girls from a can of paint and 9/10 the original intent to get dudes to visit your page is a fail because they end up opening tabs to the *girls* pages and forgetting all about your music....

The sexy girls thing gets me...cats do this on Myspace all the time...it's like you know these dudes don't know these girls from a can of paint and 9/10 the original intent to get dudes to visit your page is a fail because they end up opening tabs to the *girls* pages and forgetting all about your music....

Yeah thats what I was kinda thinking. I think I'll just stick to putting rappers of which style I imagine might go well with the instrumentals for a visual reference like that.

UPDATE: I scrapped the whole GTalk thing and went with a SIIIIIICKKKKKK AASSSS custom AOL instant messanger all black setup! Its so clean and compact.... and this is what it says:

"Yes, I am online at the moment! You can ask me anything right now as a Guest, and I will chat with you directly from my iPhone in real time. Hi, how can I help you?"

now whenever anyone types anything in that box??? PUSH notification on my phone... straight up! Its like getting a text, it just pops up on my iphone and I can just start chatting with them right there. OMGGG! The FUTURE!

Back