The State of Live Performance(s) In Hip Hop

OGBama

What do you think about live performance(s) in Hip Hop? I've never been in a position to experience a live performance and I've wondered whether or not Hip Hop's live performance aspect has been and is hindered by:

Sampling as the musical element of Hip Hop which is dictated by legal concerns such as clearance

The genre's racialization of perceived and real violence at concerts since the 1980s and 1990s

The fact that after 1979, the corporatization of the music segued into recorded performance in studio environments for commercial consumption which:

Gave way to the later focus on albums and singles and as a result the idea of live performance was confined to touring as a way to promote albums and no longer as primarily a way to connect to people in the communities Hip Hop was born in?

A lot of artist that I listen to give a ton a free music out, release an album, and then go on tour for months.They're for the most part all totally independent as well. I still se live performance as a vital part of hip hop and being a great artist.

I've been to a rack of lives shows including hip hop: GZA, The Roots (x2), De La Soul, Jay-Z, Cam'ron, Ice Cube, Snoop, J. Cole, Mobb Deep, etc.

If the show is at an arena with a ton of acts, then the show is usually great. If the group has a live band, then the show is always amazing (for the artists I've seen).

I saw Black Eyed Peas and Fergie open up for Gang Starr one time. After the BEP's live performance we were all pretty let down by just seeing Preemo scratch and play beats off records for Guru. Live band is a must.

Back