With Southern music taking over is there a chance the Westcoast Scene will b back?

varun213

I know music is usually in cycles but from what it seems do you guys think that GFunk or Westcoast Sound will be back to take the show? Right now its Clearly ATL and Trap music in general.

Post your guys' thoughts!

I think The westcoast is gonna come back strong soon

If you study trends in music Trap been the dominant sound for over a decade but because Hip Hop is trend oriented due to the emphasis on youth culture, regionalism, thanks to globalization, is no more, but even that depends on the artist as Kendrick, for example, keeps it Compton so by that example the West and/or regionalism ain't dead.

i don't think trap has always been dominant. If anything there is no replay value in trap music. I don't recall any trap albums that were considered classics. Very few. the westcoast has albums that are staples in music.

Maybe its not dead I agree with you but trap music must be the new pop since its easily accessible and every topic is the same lol

Every subgenre that ever was a part of Hip Hop has had and does have artists whose work has no replay value. This era is no different.

No it wont. You know why? Because westcoast rappers now sound like southern rappers.

Atlest the eastcoast heads keep some of their sound, and even inspired new folks to keep it old school, but the westside completely fell off.

Man, 15 years ago I would never have thought that at some time, it would end. It seemed so huge and powerful. Sad really.

Last edited:
I'd like to see more diversity among southern hip hop. Even ATL is more than just trap (ex.Outkast). I think a re-emergence of other southern subgenres like the Houston and Memphis sounds would be a nice change of pace. Houston and ATL seem to trade spots every few years so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a comeback. I think Atlanta so strong cause they have a sort of structure and everyone collaborates well and we'll see a shift once another region follows suit.

Not anytime soon people like this here today gone the next music bs i hope it does comeback that means hiphop is good again mainstream wise

Back