So let's be real for a moment here. Are you in it for the money or for the music?

logic7

old school
The PC answer is because you want to make good music... But we all know that for some folks trying to get into the biz it's about money... And that's cool and all, but just be real with yourself when you answer this thread.

Are you making these beats for the chance at making money or just for the craft, the art of it?

... cause I paid a buncha money for all of that ish and it's a great conversation piece and I like to show off when I get drunk and make bangaz in front of guests.

I can't chase the money, I'm too lazy to have a conversation about selling a beat. I don't have the time or patience. Buy it or leave me the hell alone. I don't have the patience to deal with artist - most of them aren't that smart and I get frustrated with dumb people real fast.

I actually do it because of my creative side. I'd be into graphics or something if it weren't for music. I have a little more talent than the average person walking the street so I have to do "something" to express it. I used to rap, that got boring because there are only so many words to use without sounding corny and I've heard all the words that sound fly be used over and over and over. So I like to provide the landscape and let somebody else do the rapping part.

... plus... I just like to see what I can come up with... that's the real reason.

I think music making for money is too time consuming for the solo / at home guy. If you have connections and are out and about - then I think that's great. Even if you aren't getting rich you're making some memories that'll last you forever and you didn't sit at home and make 5 beats a day and waste years of your life.

I like to live... damn being in a room with some hot ass music gear all day, lol.

I found another way to make money. My personality is not built for hustling. I'm honest.

Last edited:
I think music making for money is too time consuming for the solo / at home guy.

My personality is not built for hustling. I'm honest.

I agree. That is why I only do licensing. I send my songs off to music libraries and wait, wait, wait. A year later, I see that some osngs were used on some reality TV shows and I get a few dollars per placement. A few hundred dollars every three months is not bad.

For those that are in it for the money:

If you found out that dudes weren't really gettin money like you thought, would you still do it or find another hustle (or get a job)?

What I mean by that, is that you find out that your favorite producer ain't livin lavish like they might portray on Cribs. He really drives an Accord and has a rental crib and the jewels you saw in rockin' in the video were rented but he has mad placements.

For those that are in it for the money:

If you found out that dudes weren't really gettin money like you thought, would you still do it or find another hustle (or get a job)?

What I mean by that, is that you find out that your favorite producer ain't livin lavish like they might portray on Cribs. He really drives an Accord and has a rental crib and the jewels you saw in rockin' in the video were rented but he has mad placements.

I do it for both. People bumpin and clubbing to the ish I made all by myself (minus the vocals obvs) is what turns me on to creating music. It just happens to be in a sleazy industry that pays very damn well for the few that do manipulate their way to the top.

But I saw some mtv cribs episode years ago with some producer (forgot who it was, I know somebody is gonna remember for me), but he got a small, kinda dumpy looking house in the hood. Dude had all his gear squeezed in to a tiny bedroom and in his basement had like a ps2 or something that he used to play all his movies on his teeny ass like 22 inch tube-tv lol. In the kitchen he kept a small shoebox on top of his refrigerator and in it he had all his money. Straight cash homie. Like all 1's lmfao, but a lot of them... So some producers actually do live like that.

The PC answer is because you want to make good music... But we all know that for some folks trying to get into the biz it's about money... And that's cool and all, but just be real with yourself when you answer this thread.

Are you making these beats for the chance at making money or just for the craft, the art of it?

HAHA there's no money is music, if you want money become a realtor.

The real question is: are you in it for the women or the music?

I been spitting, producing and buying records, gear for over 12 yrs now, and i think i probably made 2000.00 booms.. Money cool everybody need it but $ aint everything... I was raised to put $ on the low priority list enjoy life y u here, fam, friends, memories thats living.. BUT DONT GET IT TWISTED... A few dollars want hurt

I agree. That is why I only do licensing. I send my songs off to music libraries and wait, wait, wait. A year later, I see that some osngs were used on some reality TV shows and I get a few dollars per placement. A few hundred dollars every three months is not bad.

Nobody believes you. Never quote me again.

PayPal or kick rocks you bored ass sarcastic recluse.

At this point I am just enjoying it and saying fu*k the money. If I want to do something for a shit ton of money there are easier ways of doing it than music. I enjoy creating music and I think that is what is most important at this point. If the money comes so be it but I am sort of done with the business aspects of trying to get paid off music too many extras involved when what I really want to do is create music that I love.

Love your job and make money doing it. Best of both worlds. Not just speaking on music...any job you persue should have a foundation in something you love. If it doesn't, you're not gonna be happy doing it long and you're not gonna be happy if the pay isn't the best.

Last edited:
damn i just started this thread lmao didnt know.....

but i do this music shit because its all i can do. Dont get me wrong school wasnt really a problem its not like i couldnt understand i just couldnt get into it.

Music is the only thing i continually have came back to and done for fun in my spare time in my life. I do this so that I can help other people.

Help by inspiring them, and motivating them through 1 me making dope ass beats.

2 by whoever the artists that get on my shit I'd hope that they kill it and motivate their fans.

Thats helping, and 2 is so I can eventually have money to help other people so thats another way I'll be helping basically thru music.

Like I said, I just dont wanna do anything else in life but make a living off my music. Thats all there is too it. Its the only thing in the whole world I feel like I was put here to do.

And thats straight up. So basically if youre in it for the money youre lame, everybody can tell JUST BY LISTENING TO YOUR MUSIC, straight up.

Im not even kidding, them thoughts about i just wanna make money...that shit shows in ur music. I can't say im better than anyone and you may not like my beats but i do this shit from my SOUL......so its kinda insulting but funny at the same time to see ppl say theyre in it for the money.

Theres a lot more I could say about why I do music, but let's just say music is very very deep for me and leave it at that

oh and i'd also like to add that I have not one quarter of one third of a half of a care about what anyone has to say about that lol. Even though it's not my belief that there is little or no money in music, i'd be happy just surviving off it and that's what matters. All that money wont make u mf's happy if you arent already happy.

Last edited:
I wonder if paleo men enjoyed hunting or if it was just a required chore to fill their bellies up...
Nevermind me...

To much stank being put on "loving music"...Read Richard Branson's autobiography "losing my virginity". Music was just one of MANY endeavors .....unfortunately many would be great musicians/producers end up being OWNED by the guy who put economics,finance,business..MONEY first. Musicians/producers can focus on the chips too.. Music...Business...its all mathematics. Loving music does not mean you have to be broke and subservient to a businessman who owns a bunch of other shyt!

Don't need to cake off as a producer either...be a promoter, manager, radio station owner, print flyers/biz cards/tshirts, press up cd's, develop logistics...these businesses can net you six-seven+ figures if you're willing to put the hustle in play...plenty of businesses a producer can do on the side and still be in the music game.

Bloody Glove wants the Money. I'm training and letting someone else be the CEO/manager, A+R, Producer, rapper, keyboardist ect. ect...you all get jumped at the source awards, do interviews, contract herpes from some rnb diva, buy the bar out(at one of my clubs) ...I'll be on a beach in the Caribbean somewhere....making more deals.

Peace and love to the staunch hobbyist though, that was me in 97-01 MPC 2000, Roland xp30 and 2000+ dusty records...love that shyt...but I hated being broke.

Bloody Glove wants the Money. I'm training and letting someone else be the CEO/manager, A+R, Producer, rapper, keyboardist ect. ect...you all get jumped at the source awards, do interviews, contract herpes from some rnb diva, buy the bar out(at one of my clubs) ...I'll be on a beach in the Caribbean somewhere....making more deals.

Did you just reference yourself in the 3rd person? Anyways....hey man, when you own your own club, let me know, I'll be the first one there. Until then, I'll be waiting......brahhhh.

Last edited:
Back