Selling Beats via Soundcloud

Xabiton

Cupcake God
Has anyone had any success with it? has anyone even attempted it? I am thinking of heading into that direction but I am not sure if thats the way to go since its harder to get traffic there. Thoughts

I didn't even know you could sell music on Soundcloud, it always came across as a showcase website to me, I'd be curious to know too

If I was to use soundcloud to sell beats
A. It would be to artist I previously worked with. The soundcloud page would be to showcase new beats
B. An artist asks where can I hear some of your work and I give the soundcloud page

It would be similar to pmp where you don't sell beats directly thru the site the sells would be indirect thru paypal (manually), western union, money gram, ect
I don't know if a lot of rappers vist soundcloud so to get traffic it would be more of word of mouth and you sending them the link. You probably would have to build your traffic up from the ground up

Last edited:
If I was to use soundcloud to sell beats
A. It would be to artist I previously worked with. The soundcloud page would be to showcase new beats
B. An artist asks where can I hear some of your work and I give the soundcloud page

It would be similar to pmp where you don't sell beats directly thru the site the sells would be indirect thru paypal (manually), western union, money gram, ect
I don't know if a lot of rappers vist soundcloud so to get traffic it would be more of word of mouth and you sending them the link. You probably would have to build your traffic up from the ground up

that was kind of my thought well except I got quite a few rappers following me. mostly ones ive worked with in the past though. i tend to see rappers more on reverb nation or bandcamp because its easy to sell albums on band camp.

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

I didn't even know you could sell music on Soundcloud, it always came across as a showcase website to me, I'd be curious to know too

yes there is an option to sell music on soundcloud. u can even link to itunes if you want.

I've been wondering the same thing. I've been using SoundCloud for the longest, but I never really thought it was a place rappers went searching for beats, more of a place to search for mixes, etc. etc. A "showcase" like Isk2009 said. I have a SoundClick, but don't really use it since I've read some bad stories on here about people getting ****ed over for "copyright infringement" and whatnot. ReverbNation looks more like a place for artists such as rappers, bands, etc. to sell their music/albums on than for a producer to sell beats, same with Band Camp.

I'd love to hear some suggestions, as right now, even though I've only really sold 1 of my beats, I'm really starting to want to try and promote my music and what not, but am mainly relying on my Twitter posts, forum signature links, and just spreading my contact info throughout websites I usually visit.

I don't know if anyone else does this (probably), but one piece of advice given to me was to make your "Sets" come up first when people visit your Soundcloud page, instead of the list of individual tracks. Easier to organize and present.

soundcloud is the new myspace. its the best way for people that have herd of you to hear some beats, but i think its one of those things that wont give you new traffic but would be a good place to refer people who want to hear your stuff.

I think you give too much importance to it. You can sell on soundclick, own website, soundcloud and a lot of other sites, the main things are still 1.) great beats which people want 2.) branding 3.) promotion. switching servers won't solve if one is missing.

Back