Selling beats online.....just some thoughts

TheViceroiz

It's a complete joke, and not like a Jimmy Fallon late-night halfway clean celebrity zinger joke. It's like an Aries Spears "Arnold Schwarzenegger getting head", or Louis CK style blunt defamatory joke. It's only going to become an even bigger joke in the years to come.

"Don't believe me just watch".

The way Trinidad James admitted to finding free beats for his successful tape will only push more rappers to front like they grown, independent men without $20 for a beat lease. Lebrons come out? $300 plus dropped on em. $20 for something that can help their career and put they name out there? Nah.

If you want to sell beats and make a "killing" online, remember this pecking order from left to right (highest worth to lowest):

tiny amounts of money > bros > hoes > weed > alcohol > food > paying bills > having nothing but a stussy tee and a box to live in > eating your own shit > drinking your own shit > shit itself > someone else's shit > sucking dick for weed > sucking dick for money > sucking dick to get off > buying reasonable beats online

for these wannabe rappers today. Just remember this before spending your hard earned cash on beat site fees. Build personal relationships, trust me.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

And if you have actually made money/can make money online selling beats (like I have and can), more power to you. But even we who have been broken in must admit, it's a ****ing joke. LOL.

for these wannabe rappers today. Just remember this before spending your hard earned cash on beat site fees. Build personal relationships, trust me.

Bruh, stop preaching. People want to sell beats online. Telling them to not do it is going to make them go even harder.

^ Certain people yeah, but some will heed my warning. If people go harder then whatever that's what people do. They should just watch "Pursuit of Happiness" and see Will Smith playing the poor salesman. That's damn near spot on with selling beats online. If it looks glamorous then push on.

I am trying to understand your logic.

You are saying since a lot of artists are downloading free beats, and some aren't buying them, you suggest producers to stop trying to sell their beats online?

Don't take this the wrong way, but your whole post has a lot of anger and frustration in it. It appears to me, and maybe even others, that you are not making much sales from your product, and if you are, not much.

Well, heres the thing. There is always going to be people who "Steal" product. But at the same time, there are still thousands of people that are out there still willing to purchase product. So your logic is kind of poitnless to me.

You'd be surprised on how much money a lot of these guys are making on sites like Soundcloud, YouTube, and Soundclick selling their beats online.

As for Trinidad James, yeah he has used "Free" beats, but to this day, he actually goes to SoundClick and buys beats from producers on there. I actually happened to be on his Twitter feed, and read a tweet of him buying a beat a week back.
https://twitter.com/TrinidadJamesGG/status/286700286481940482

But yeah, don't be so pessimistic, with that attitude and outlook, you are setting yourself up for failure.

Peace.

Last edited:
with that attitude and outlook, you are setting yourself up for failure.

Peace.

No, I'm setting myself up to get some REAL $.

Notice that I'm not saying that you DON'T sell beats online, I was stating that if you expect to make a whole lot of money doing it ONLINE, don't hold ya breath in these times. That's basically a post for new guys anyway because people already doing it will have it better. I'm stating the obvious, selling them in person should make you more money, and if you can do that then go for it (never seen a producer sell a beat for over $1,000 purely online).

My POV - Sell beats how you want, but online is a "****ing joke". I've well surpassed what I invested in it, but it's still pretty lame lol. If there are thousands willing to buy beats ONLINE, and you know this, name 200 buyers. It's just not something to get your hopes up about with the CURRENT market. Nothing wrong with the truth.

Money is out there it takes a long time to get into a position though a lot longer than people are really ready for this ain't an easy blow up during summer break come up. It takes some years, and consistent good years because there is so much to overcome in just the sheer amount of people trying to do this alone. But I agree you can close the deal a lot better in person and for bigger numbers than online. For a multitude of reasons.

ok. . .if it's "ok" to sell beats online, and it's BETTER to meet people in person. . . why won't you do both? There are 24 hours in a day. It's not that f%$kin' hard lol

pretty much lol

I mean seriously. . .

People act like dudes who make a killing selling beats online. . .are just online. If you go to the most successful soundclick producers all of them list placements that they have gotten. The homie Epik went and had a session with some Atlantic A&Rs. Hell Superstar O went and started his own beat website with DJ Mustard, Jahlil, and some other MAJOR producers. I'm pretty sure they didn't do this sitting at home.

Like I said. . .Do Both! You need multiple streams of income coming in. That beat money can either be enough to keep the refigerator full, pay bills, new equipment, get mcdonalds for the whole week, or buy some new kicks. . . either way it's money.

You have enough time in a day to market out your beats and go out and record your beats with the next trinidad james at the studio. There is 24 hours in a day. . .How are you using them?

Last edited:
(19 years old) I gotta agree. As someone who legitimately makes dope beats (not by my own word, by plenty of others. Submitted to Lil B and he said "Banger, keep sending!) and has tried the online thing for a year, it's just a lot of BS. A lot of artists talk the talk, but never answer when it comes time to actually buy. A lot of artists straight up tell you they want free beats, and the up and commers/established rappers are too hollywood to **** with you.

Only album placements get paid for now days anyway, unless you get a BRAND name in the production industry. You gotta go out and do this shit in real life. The internet is a tool, but straight up you gotta MEET people and go hard for what you want.

No such thing as "liveoffbeats" and "get paid in your sleep"

Ive made about $300 the past year off beats/drum kits/tutorials etc so im not mad cause i failed, and also, i mean it IS possible. Look at Kooman, SSO, Sledgren, all them. Im sure they make good money off their shit and even have payments "coming in their sleep" but they didnt start and rely on soundclick/a website alone, and they all got major placements to help back them up.

I gotta agree though, selling beats online is a joke. I wanna be MORE than an internet producer.

Last edited:
Lol Lil B...
mannn sometimes.... be real people...

it's funny when people say, I make hot stuff... I generally tend to hear : "I hype my stuff but I have been making beats for 2 years and Im still just ok about it at best, I have only gotten 1000$ off of 10USD leases, this is my future careeer"

Yeaaah, I hear all that.

Not really mocking, just generally noticing a pretty general trend.. I should prolly just shut the F up though... Me and my big mouth...
Im just a salty dude behind his computer screen anyway...

Last edited:
Lol Lil B...
mannn sometimes.... be real people...

it's funny when people say, I make hot stuff... I generally tend to hear : "I hype my stuff but I have been making beats for 2 years and Im still just ok about it at best, I have only gotten 1000$ off of 10USD leases, this is my future careeer"

Yeaaah, I hear all that.

Not really mocking, just generally noticing a pretty general trend.. I should prolly just shut the F up though... Me and my big mouth...
Im just a salty dude behind his computer screen anyway...

Lil B is no dumby. He does troll the rap game, but I just said him as a name people would recognize. Every local rapper loves my beats, Ive been on my local radio, plenty of artists feel my shit but they just dont wanna pay lol. I mean you can sit n think oh thats just another dude with wack ass beats talkin shit but trust me i got some bangers lol

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

i aint sayin its impossible or tryna discourage anyone, But it is a little tougher than a lot of people would make it seem.

Postman is a great dude, and he puts out valuable info that is probably worth what he charges, but if youre doing this for ANY REASON other than because you'd rather DIE than not do it, you probably wont be successfull

Thing is everyone feels everyone sh!t...

So audio proof speak more to me than words. That's what I meant but my psot up there was not very good I confess :)

Selling beats online is no joke y'all...Work on your craft and conduct good business and you'll do fine

Made $105.97 on Soundclick today :) It is possible

Back