Is it Sampled Hip-Hop still alive

MuhalXtra1387

Do you guys still think its going strong, I honestly I really don't hear many fully sampled tracks in the mainstream today

))))))))) Many famous producers used complete samples from sound libraries

Last edited:
Do you guys still think its going strong, I honestly I really don't hear many fully sampled tracks in the mainstream today
In this day and age of youtube and digital streaming, why do people still rely on the "mainstream" to validate their preferences? Do you NEED to hear sampled beats on the radio to feel that it is "alive"?

I just realized sampling is what hip hop will be in the future, sparse drums, slow tempo double timed, one part on key and one part dissonant Focused around a processed vocal sample or similar very warm sounding sample like an organ or saxophone.

In this day and age of youtube and digital streaming, why do people still rely on the "mainstream" to validate their preferences? Do you NEED to hear sampled beats on the radio to feel that it is "alive"?
That's a valid point, Idk sometimes I get tripped on that topic

Sampling is still fun if that's what you mean, turning a sample into a beat will probably always be a thing but synthesis and sound libraries are here to stay.

In my opinion, it is def. still a thing, however with the music that is put out these days (simplistic) Sampling is not an efficient way to go about it. Plus when it comes to royalties, the money may not be there either.

Its alive and well. Some Rick Ross joints are actually samples and just sound like it was produced on a synth because the sample was made with synth. Others like Drake use early 90's RnB songs to make tracks.

But for that grungy lo-fi sampling, its very strong underground.

People still sample (I still do) it's just not as commercialized due to the fact of the original artists not approving of the sample. For example Bob put a track (with this amazing horn sample by original artist Funkatronic) on Bandcamp. He credited the original artist and all his fans bought the song. Unfortunately, Funkatronic heard this amazing well produced song with HIS sample, but was not getting any part of revenue for it. Funkatronic then found Bob and threatened to take him to court if he did not receive any of the revenue. Bob ended up getting rid of the song AND gave the revenue to Funkatronic.

Of course these are not real names but there's stories of it happening, even in the mainstream. There's ways around it though; I just got Melodyne and it identifies pitches verify well just a find an instrument that sounds close to what the sample is and Melodyne will grab the pitches and you can explode the tracks to MIDI.

Sampling is the heart of hip-hop though, and to this day I wish a lot producer's give that nice warm rugged sampled feel to their tracks but hey we're not just producers we're artists so WE create the trends!!:cheers:

Sampled hip-hop is still alive. For example, I live in Atlanta and a very popular artist Playboi Carti did a song called Fetti which is his biggest song to date. The producer Christ Fresh of 808 Mafia sampled some weird song for that instrumental. The beat is ridiculous good and so the song lol. But I also sample a lot too. Go to Rob Dolla$ Beats

It's still alive on the internet. Not much on the radio anymore.
My sample based beats today are basically a mix of sampling and synthesis.

I feel like if a 2 bar sample gets repeated through out the entire song it can get boring real quick. That's where synthesizers come in for me. I use synths as a decoration on top of my samples.
But the main thing is still sampled. It just doesn't sound the same the whole time.
Using Effects like Low-Pass Filters can do a lot to.

it's interesting i find that ore recently there's been more sample based music in the mainstream then ever before. Someone earlier pointed out that Rick Ross samples a lot. Cats in the TDE camp as well. 40 for Drake as well. There's even a lot of interpolation going on as well, which is another form of sampling.

Still big. Listen to Big Sean's last album. It had hella sample's in it. I will say a lot of the sampling I'm hearing is in EDM now. Think DJ Snake etc... You wan't some dope sampled music. listen to EDM you'll definitely hear some cool and unique flips.

Yes of course it is. Nothing in hiphop is original. If the so called composed shit is ripping off shit

Sampling on the radio is dead? Maybe because it's not boom-bap type beats people just don't realize the songs they're listening to are sampled but the statement is almost comical.

Sample:

Last edited:
Back