Roc-A-Fella Co-Founder Kareem "Biggs" Burke Sentenced To 5 Years On Drug Trafficking

I mean what are people saying really, there is no money in selling music traditionally the way its been done for the longest time? Of course every system has to change and adapt as times do and music is no different, the conventional CD is not where its at but people arent ever going to stop wanting music, there just needs to be a new way to capitalize off of it now which will come eventually. Just my thoughts on it lol.

yep, thats not gonna happen unless your doing lil Wayne or drake's numbers. Theres alot of artist out there that still have that get a record deal, sell a album, get a million dollars mentality

That's the thing people never understood about the record industry. But I got it right away, when i started learning how the record industry worked.

The point of a record deal is to make you famous, so you can make yourself rich.

The point of record sales are to make the record label rich.

It's a trade off. Been like that since the beginning.

Nothing wrong with it.

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

That's the thing people never understood about the record industry. But I got it right away, when i started learning how the record industry worked.

The point of a record deal is to make you famous, so you can make yourself rich.

It's a trade off. Been like that since the beginning.

Nothing wrong with it.

But what would it take for an artist to survive then? Im not in it for the big check, im just saying, is ts possible to earn enough to make a living as a mucisian through your life? Just a decent life?

If not, will there ever be?

Last edited:

Exactly

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

But what would it take for an artist to survive then? Im not in it for the big check, im just saying, is ts possible to earn enough to make a living as a mucisian through your life? Just a decent life?

Yes. Build a fanbase. That's the whole point of getting a record deal, but you don't need a record deal to build a fanbase now because you can distribute music yourself with the internet and build your own fan base.

Not sure if it was mentioned, but when folk over there was going legit(after Hard Knock Life took off and they were making too much music money), Biggs just couldn't let go of that lifestyle. Not sure if he was in too deep or if he just loved it that much. All these guys have made millions, them few kilos he got hit with was more than likely pocket change to him. 5 years ain't nothing to a dude like that as deep into things as he was. He'll be out in like 3 1/2.

This ain't about no money being in music. Rocafella was an empire. Clothing, movies, joint ventures in everything. This was about a dude who couldn't let go of the streets. It's not uncommon in this business.

This ain't about no money being in music. Rocafella was an empire. Clothing, movies, joint ventures in everything. This was about a dude who couldn't let go of the streets. It's not uncommon in this business.

Correction deRaNged, this was about a dude that couldn't let go of the lifestyle (financial overhead)that came with his Roc-A-Fella run which once it was over for him instead of downsizing he most likely figured he could make 'that flip' so he can maintain everything as status quo. Its one thing to want something you never had but its a different story once you get it and then lose most of it and have to live with the fact that its a 99% chance you WONT get back to that level ever again legally. I've seen this happen time and time again and it begins with spending as if your run is going to last for 30 years when on average the best runs last 2-4 years at its height.

Everybody yell and scream about success but do you ever think about when you're OUTTA HERE (All empires eventually die):

Correction deRaNged, this was about a dude that couldn't let go of the lifestyle (financial overhead)that came with his Roc-A-Fella run which once it was over for him instead of downsizing he most likely figured he could make 'that flip' so he can maintain everything as status quo. Its one thing to want something you never had but its a different story once you get it and then lose most of it and have to live with the fact that its a 99% chance you WONT get back to that level ever again legally. I've seen this happen time and time again and it begins with spending as if your run is going to last for 30 years when on average the best runs last 2-4 years at its height.

Everybody yell and scream about success but do you ever think about when you're OUTTA HERE (All empires eventually die):

I'll respect the fact you may know something about this i don't, I'm talking old stuff, by now he may be survivng soley off of illegal activities, but last I remember, Biggs was well off to the point he had no reason to dabble in anything but music in the late 90s early 00s. No e-snitching, even then he was involved in other things. Deeply involved. The same things all these guys were originally involved in, but when people began cleaning up, he stayed dirty. Part of the reason he wasn't around as heavily.

I could be dead wrong though. These are just things I've heard. None should be considered facts.

I'll respect the fact you may know something about this i don't, I'm talking old stuff, by now he may be survivng soley off of illegal activities, but last I remember, Biggs was well off to the point he had no reason to dabble in anything but music in the late 90s early 00s. No e-snitching, even then he was involved in other things. Deeply involved. The same things all these guys were originally involved in, but when people began cleaning up, he stayed dirty. Part of the reason he wasn't around as heavily.

I could be dead wrong though. These are just things I've heard. None should be considered facts.

Yes I agree with you that he was not 'broke' so therefore we can sum it all up in one word:

GREED

the case was a 20-something year old weed ring which dated before roc-a-fella. it continued during and after....

Correct me if im wrong, but for some reason, I remember Biggs gettin popped before few years back for the same thing. Im talkin maybe like 10 years or so. For some reason, I remember that charge just disappearing...

^^^Ahhh, gotcha. :cheers: Agreed. GREED. lol.

greed or jealously is the usual reasons drug dudes get caught up

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum
Music Business Professional Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Correct me if im wrong, but for some reason, I remember Biggs gettin popped before few years back for the same thing. Im talkin maybe like 10 years or so. For some reason, I remember that charge just disappearing...

I can't remember the entire story, but I think he was just being investigated then. I don't think they made anything stick. This was like maybe 99-2000? Around the time of Lifetime Vol. 3

@deranged...thanks man, i knew i wasnt crazy!! damn man 12 years later and he get popped over the same ish? ol boy hustlin backwards!!

Let's not confuse being a producer, with owning a label.

I believe that making a living purely as a producer isn't going to be what everyone imagines. Your going to need to get into other lanes of work.

But, that doesn't mean owning a label or being an executive doesn't get you some money.

Back