Recommend me some good jazz!

ScorchinBeats

I want to listen to more of it. Thinking of stuff similar to what was sampled on Nas' Illmatic. I love that ish.

Anybody know some similar artists/tracks?

^^Great stuff guys, I knew there were people on this site that know more than just hip-hop.

Most sample based producers who dig in the crates already know. Its those that have a negative view of sampling who are perhaps limited in their thinking! So Jazz was incorporated into Hip Hop so many years ago...it really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Find your local JAZZ station on the radio and listen to it every once in a while. The change of pace will do you some good it may even spark some ideas.

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

As a matter of fact visit and post this question in the Sampling and Digging section...I'm sure you'll get a ton of info from the cats that post there.

Last edited:
As a matter of fact visit and post this question in the Sampling and Digging section...I'm sure you'll get a ton of info from the cats that post there.
Probably no need to repost this there.

One simple approach in teh internet era could be using google+youtube combination to find a few artists.
If you already got some albums you like, look into other stuff the musicians on the album have put out, follow lables etc., basic digging technique really.
And naturally once you figure what sub-genres you are into, you can use stuff like allmusic.com to find more artists in that sub-genre.

Few more:

Last edited:
******* Brew - Album from Miles Davis with so many big names it is not funny
So Blue - Miles Davis Album
Artie Shaw (by which I mean any tune that Artie Shaw wrote or performed)
George Shearing
Brecker Brothers
Charlie Mingus
Thelonius Monk

Back