Rappers with NO Budget = Waste of Time

paper boy fabe

I been dealing with 2 rappers for the past year.. gave them about 30 joints hand picked by them... for free.. they came out with mixtapes and all that.. Sold a few copies.. got it mixed and mastered....

Long story short, they coming out with another mixtape... So I kinda got madd and was like ... "Listen, I aint no mixtape producer.. Im gonna have to charge you to use my beats now."

I charged him only $150 dollars and this nigga had the nerve to say that I shouldnt charge him for beats because he aint got no budget yet. WTF? But yet this nigga can afford to record in a 60/hr Studio time and mixing session for a whole month but cant buy a 150 dollar beat?

So I been cutting loose alot of rappers who don't atleast look out to purchase a beat... I dont understand how rappers think its soo easy for producers to just give them a free beat with out gettin rewarded... As if it didnt take me 8 hours to make a beat... think of the melody... and mix it. Thats a 9-5 I could of been doing. But yea thats why I cant **** with rappers who don't have a starting budget to spend. Its a waste of time...

that's why I don't work with broke artists

I feel like if you serious about your career you'll invest money into yourself, I know not everybody has the loot to do so but don't hit me up on myspace talkin' about how you're a serious artist with a buzz (in my city when I've never even heard of you?) and you workin' on this and that......

......and then I go to your profile and your "photo shoot" consists of your guy taking pictures of you standing on a gate with a $100 Kodak digital camera........

.......you got a half-ass written BIO with tons of spelling errors and to top it off your music sounds like you recorded inside of a trash can.......

but maybe that's just me.......

its so so hard to make it as an artist today without money, you need beats, studio time, mixing/mastering, promotion/exposure(radio/flyers/posters/internet/shirts/website), video/photo shoots,

shyt they even charging artists to do shows at big venues and events... its like every1 is tryna make a dolla out the struggling artist...

but anyway if amatuer artists dont have the chips to pay for pro beats then they will stay amatuer artists, for that they should just ride on commercial stuff....anartists is not a serious artist without serious beats....

if I see potential in an artist with the combination of drive and diligence, ill produce them for free, cause the pay off will be good, but too often you come across that bullsh*ter, and you be like sorry man can't give you beats for free especially when it costs me money to make them

That broke artists today is potentially someone you need to advance your career tomorrow.

I'm not saying work for free, but maybe give people what they pay for. Don't trash a relationship so quick, a big part of this business is who you know. I bet you wouldn't have given Soulja Boy a beat before he blew.

Last edited:
Jackpot ProductionZ said:
that's why I don't work with broke artists

I feel like if you serious about your career you'll invest money into yourself, I know not everybody has the loot to do so but don't hit me up on myspace talkin' about how you're a serious artist with a buzz (in my city when I've never even heard of you?) and you workin' on this and that......

......and then I go to your profile and your "photo shoot" consists of your guy taking pictures of you standing on a gate with a $100 Kodak digital camera........

.......you got a half-ass written BIO with tons of spelling errors and to top it off your music sounds like you recorded inside of a trash can.......

but maybe that's just me.......

lmao!:cry::cry::cry:

well i spit, if any1 one wanna send me free beats check out my myspace, yes the pic were takin by my boy wit a ghetto as camera, yes the bio is garbage, yes i recorded my tracks in the closest, but yo my buzz is tremendous

eazypeezy said:
if I see potential in an artist with the combination of drive and diligence, ill produce them for free, cause the pay off will be good, but too often you come across that bullsh*ter, and you be like sorry man can't give you beats for free especially when it costs me money to make them

Co-sign, Im working with an MC now who I really believe in, and if your both just as dedicated then it works well. I'm too polite though when cool dudes ask me for free ****, I'm like "I can't at the moment but maybe later" Im getting better at saying no though. I'll only give a free beat to an MC if I think their really good and can make the track better than what it is, otherwise they aint getting nothing..

Usually the wack niggas have money. I don't know about your hood, but in mines... usually the wacker they are the more money they have. Every dude that sells drugs wants to put out a mixtape.

oohotcarameloo said:
its so so hard to make it as an artist today without money, you need beats, studio time, mixing/mastering, promotion/exposure(radio/flyers/posters/internet/shirts/website), video/photo shoots,

shyt they even charging artists to do shows at big venues and events... its like every1 is tryna make a dolla out the struggling artist...

but anyway if amatuer artists dont have the chips to pay for pro beats then they will stay amatuer artists, for that they should just ride on commercial stuff....anartists is not a serious artist without serious beats....

Thats why I learned to do everything my self. I couldn't afford to pay anyone to do it for me. Noblewordz is right you don't know who your passing over when they can't afford your prices. Theres no real start up cost to be a rapper. I'll respect someone with a poor quality demo who had potential or someone that shows up to the studio with a book full of rhymes than someone with nothing at all. Everybody deserves a chance but at least have something that shows your serious. Like Rick Ross said on Push It who knew that girl would grow up to be Oprah? Karma can be a mutha...

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell em to acapella their mixtape if they can't come up with any bread to pay you for your work, ya dig?

paper boy fabe said:
So I been cutting loose alot of rappers who don't atleast look out to purchase a beat... I dont understand how rappers think its soo easy for producers to just give them a free beat with out gettin rewarded... As if it didnt take me 8 hours to make a beat... think of the melody... and mix it. Thats a 9-5 I could of been doing. But yea thats why I cant **** with rappers who don't have a starting budget to spend. Its a waste of time...
Why don't you just sell the beats to other rappers? :confused:

How the hell is it a waste of time? You burn a cd with some tracks and give it to them. It can't possibly take more than 5 minutes.

Ant McQueen said:
Usually the wack niggas have money. I don't know about your hood, but in mines... usually the wacker they are the more money they have. Every dude that sells drugs wants to put out a mixtape.

"PREACH!"

You must stay in my hood...LOL

Ant McQueen said:
^^^ LOL... It's so wild to me how the most talented people are broke and the wack ones have the dough.

Yeah...somebody hooked me up with these dudes that wanted to put out a tape and these cats had bread and was just buying beats from me. I let them hear beats that I thought weren't even that good and they were just buying them. They ended up buying about 12-14 beats total but the funny part is they never put out a tape...LOL

I'm not mad, I made my grip...lol. I saw one of the dudes about 2 months ago and he still was asking about beats

cuz the supposed "wack ones" grind and get on their money to go after their dream, the talented ones are usually arrogant and expect the industry to bendover backwards and come to them.......

Why must producers do favours for struggling artists?

Who does favours for producers? All of us had to hustle to get the equipment, software, research material ect to make these beats.

Why can't they do the same? Damn it, get a 9 to 5, open for other rappers, guest feature on tracks, ghostwrite, do any thing to get money to fund your dreams.

There is NEVER a reason to give a beat for free unless you're financially stable. Even then I'de think about it.

Damn it. It's even against the law not to remunirate someone for their work.

That is the reason wack rappers usally have more money for beats. Good rappers think their talent alone will bring them success and everybody will be falling over each other to work with them even for free while the wack rappers rely mostly on their hustle.

Working for free = slave (at least slaves had food and shelter)

Yeah. It is a waste of time. But, try and get what you can out of everyone you work with. Milk them on whatever you can. Make trades man. Cash does not always have to be the answer. I just milked some rapper to give me a Roland Juno G in return for 7 exclusive beats. Hustle son hustle.

nawww

never give away a free beat if u aint gonna get somethin bigger and better than money out it

if u grind.. money is easy to come by..

but ringtone deals, relationships, a full song (not just a damn beat) in the stash, a relationship wit an artist

all can grow to be bigger then a couple 100 bucks u'd make

www.myspace.com/andrewlloyd3

man i knew this one cat who had flow for days he was so talented anything anyone asked him to rap about he did he was straight sick punchlines metaphors jus hard! i was barely barely stratin out and was doin it for free makin him tracks i pushed carts and hustled for 4 months to get an MPC then another piece of gear and i asked him to chip in and he was like naw i'm too hot there's a gang of people tryin to record me for free and make me tracks so i was like aight i'm exclusive so it was cool then one day that dumb ass comes to my crip counts out his doe not to flaunt but jus to himself he said "200 for some new gear(clothes) $300 for car payment $150 for some dank some good weed... and so on until i realized he had 1500 in his hand" dropped him and never did anything for free ever again! i was starving for months to get my gear! gotta get that cash if its quality!

Back