Rap Artist Names

OGBama

What makes a rap artist name good or bad and what advice would you give in regards to creating one? What is in a name matters because it is the difference between a dope MC and a not so dope one.

Last edited:
I don't think it's the name, but more so the music behind the name, when the music is great the name automatically becomes apart of that greatness

Just take any random word and add lil to the start or if you're feeling creative add money or dollar signs to the end so people know you mean business. If you're an absolute madman just replace some letters with numbers and symbols.

Seriously though, I've come to realise the name doesn't matter as much as what it represents. The Iphone logo is an apple with a bite taken out of it... Really let that sink in for a second, if you didn't know what the company did would you buy a product just based on the logo description? If you take that into consideration, any logo or name should be primarily, easily searchable online and easily memorable. The name fart would have far more success than any 3 random words combined.

Edit: Something important - any name someone chooses for themselves ends up being what they're called for the rest of their life. Many famous actors have probably torn their hair out at being recognisable for a dumb roll with a dumb name. If you name yourself fart you better enjoy being called fart in public when someone recognises you for the rest of your life.

Last edited:
It's personal preference. Some see a trend so they follow it (Lil, Young, etc).. Others go so far left you wonder how they came up with the name. Some don't care and will use an online name-creation tool and run with that. Then you have the more simple artists who just use their name. I don't think there's a right/wrong way cause, as some have noted in this thread, it all boils down to the music. The only side issue is, there's a marketing play to be had so, in my opinion, the name can't be so booty that it gets laughed at and discarded before the song is even played.

Please avoid lil and young. It might be a combination from your favorite thing (tv show, game or something like that) or something they called you when you were a kid. Find a new word.

There's no rhyme or reason to a name. Some sound dope, some sound silly, some weird names have worked, some cool names didn't.
Some sound cool for their meaning and what the rapper is all about, some just sound cool when you say them, some look cool written down etc...

Back