Pure rock bands that have a hip hop type groove to them ?

Definetly the Red Hot Chili Peppers, also Maroon5's first album was pretty hip hop feel, I think they mixed the drums extra loud for a rock band.
Also Gym Class Heroes now and fallout boy

All these suggestions are good ... especially RHCP, Sublime, and 311.

What about No Doubt? Hmm...it seems that anything with that sort of ska/punk type vibe is sort of hiphoppy

Last edited:
Gwen was much better with NO DOUBT.

She's a bit candy gloss now, but I still like her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stain'd, 3 doors down(kinda wierd, but I hear hip hop/rnb/folk in their music), White Stripes(mainly because the drummer always uses those same drum hits), Box Car Racer(wasn't that their name? The Trav Barker branch off band)Creed, Papa Roach, gotta give props to Sublime, and Snot used sound FXs in their music production like hip hop. Also, some good soulful sh*t to influence your music, The Doors, B52s, and Creedence Clearwater.

Funny how Punk and Hip Hop kind of go hand in hand isnt it? I said back when Wu Tang came out that Hip Hop had become the new "Punk", even moreso than the new "Punk" was and is. Hip Hop has alot of the same sort of general elements: struggle, hardship, shock value, political ties, the voice of the youth, etc; that Punk has. It seems almost a natural progression for them to kind of merge somewhat. They carry alot of the same values.

BTW, check out Fishbone, punk/ska/soul band, their bassist is off the chain. I saw them open up for Beastie Boys on the "Liscense to Ill" tour back in 1985 or 1986.

Also how about Living Colour?

Last edited:
Back