PROS and Cons of being a Producer/ Rapper

S

Spektor

Whats the pros and cons of being a PRODUCER/ RAPPER?

My CON is im in Dr Dre mode....ive been working on the same album for 5 years.....

i make a compilation of beats and write my rhymes, then while im on the road......

I hear a new song..........then that makes me wanna create a whole new album over........

so I scratch my beats and start from square one.......again...........thats been happening for 5 years LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But now ive renamed the Album from Takeover to The Gold.

------------------------------

The Pros are I can come up with my own concepts......and make my own beats around them

Pro's -
You have something you enjoy that you can do alone (and really be happy, lol)
You have a creative outlet (though most of us don't use it, we just make what everybody else makes)
You have the potential to make money in the entertainment industry
You have something you can do with like minded people that's positive (and won't get you locked up)
You have something you can teach others...

Cons -
You have something that will take away from your social life
You have a passion that's shrouded in negativity (if you do Hip Hop)
You will be criticized whether you asked for criticism or not
You will have haters whether you're amazing or wack as hell
Your barriers to entry on a professional level... are many (unless you go the independent route)
Technology is making true skills less and less meaningful

Last edited:
Its gets old making a beat, the writing to it, then having to record mix and master it so by the time that's all done the song isn't exciting anymore.

Pros:
-You rap on beats that you like.
-You have the concepts of songs in mind when you make a beat.

Cons:
-You're your only critic.
-You might put more effort into one area, than the other.
-It's double the work.
-Image? Do you have a rapper image? Or are you just a producer forcing a rapper image?

No cons in making music.

So true. If you can do it all that's awesome. If you're that worried about it though just pick whatever one you're best at and outsource some of the rest. There isn't anything wrong with getting a beat from somebody else or having a couple guest spots on the album. It'll make it more diverse plus you won't be getting sick of your own tunes so fast, maybe you'll get em' done before you grow tired of the track.

COLLABORATION IS KEY!!!!

my problem is that i listen to the track soooo much i get bored and cant write anything, reason why i can rarely write to my own sht. second i always feel so cliche when tryna write a rap u know, im a grown ass man with kids i cant talk about alot of sht cuz i really dont relate.

my problem is that i listen to the track soooo much i get bored and cant write anything, reason why i can rarely write to my own sht.

The track should be inspiring your lyrics. If you're a rapper, Raps should be pouring out- even while you're making it.

second i always feel so cliche when tryna write a rap u know, im a grown ass man with kids i cant talk about alot of sht cuz i really dont relate.

Then you should rhyme like a grown-ass man with kids.

Grown-ass men with kids have a hard time relating to teeny-bopper raps.
It's always like "aww look at what these kids is doing" So maybe someone should step up and write some adult music for those of us who have grown up on rap and our tastes have also grown up.

my problem is that i listen to the track soooo much i get bored and cant write anything, reason why i can rarely write to my own sht.

The track should be inspiring your lyrics. If you're a rapper, Raps should be pouring out- even while you're making it.

second i always feel so cliche when tryna write a rap u know, im a grown ass man with kids i cant talk about alot of sht cuz i really dont relate.

Then you should rhyme like a grown-ass man with kids.

Grown-ass men with kids have a hard time relating to teeny-bopper raps.
It's always like "aww look at what these kids is doing" So maybe someone should step up and write some adult music for those of us who have grown up on rap and our tastes have also grown up.

Truth!

... I'll say the best written genre is country music, they seem to have topics for days.

i always feel so cliche when tryna write a rap u know, im a grown ass man with kids i cant talk about alot of sht cuz i really dont relate.

Lots of hip-hop heads are getting older so it doesn't put you out of a target audience. Listen to stuff like Kam Moye who is Supastitions alter ego, he talks about grown man shit like making car payments getting rent; and finding girls outside of supermodels. Real stuff.

thanks guys i guess i do need to start writing stuff like that. i always have some weird internal struggle when writing because im always like, "awe man thats not swag! thats not gonna sell!, or this is gonna bore dudes cuz they wanna hear what these kids talking about". back when i made rock music i wasnt afraid of any of that i just wrote what i felt. what i hated about that is that my stuff was always deemed as depressive or too moody i couldnt tell friends to check my sht out at a party. guess im just weird lol im tryna find a happy median though

thanks guys i guess i do need to start writing stuff like that. i always have some weird internal struggle when writing because im always like, "awe man thats not swag! thats not gonna sell!, or this is gonna bore dudes cuz they wanna hear what these kids talking about". back when i made rock music i wasnt afraid of any of that i just wrote what i felt. what i hated about that is that my stuff was always deemed as depressive or too moody i couldnt tell friends to check my sht out at a party. guess im just weird lol im tryna find a happy median though

That's how breakout stars come about... they do something other than what everybody else is doing.

Go for it.

... only downside is the bandwagon effect in Hip Hop, if you do something somebody likes - everybody else will try to jump on it before it dies out. In effect, killing it faster.

maybe someone should step up and write some adult music for those of us who have grown up on rap and our tastes have also grown up.

sounds like a niche to me...

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

"awe man thats not swag! thats not gonna sell!, or this is gonna bore dudes cuz they wanna hear what these kids talking about".

fukc swag, fukc what's gonna sell, fukc what kids be talkin' 'bout...fukc all that shit.

NEVER talk yourself out of REAL SHIT

along with everything else you have a demographic that's more likely to actually buy your stuff! :D
I'm with the others here, Wais go get em!

Its funny, when I'm making a beat thats the only thing I'm thinking about is getting that beat to sound good. If I want to write to it later on I'll have the beat in my head and just write while I'm at work or something.... Someone mentioned the image rappers have today and honestly is there really one single image that defines rappers? You've got everything from Drake to Lil Boosie, Kanye to Tyler, Eminem to Mac Miller and everyone in between. If you want to rap now then you can rap.

Back