Professional artists with poorly mixed songs.

KomplexBeats

Grindin 24/7
I made this thread cause I was listening to the song "Represent" by Trick Daddy and I noticed the mix isn't all that (even 1st class, the producer who made the beat says this).

So I was wondering have ya'll heard professional songs, albums, or whatever that have crappy mixing?

It's good to hear professional artists getting away with stuff like this sometimes cause it gives people who dont have mult-million dollar studios some hope.

Peace

KB, I remembering reading something about that producer and how it was unmixed...

As far as poor professional mixes:

For some reason I don't like many songs mixed by Guru...They lack bass, sound somewhat thin, and over compressed...but I wouldn't call it terrible.

I couldn't listen to the Cannibal Ox CD for longer than 15min cause I start to get a headache...toooo much treble.

jay-z brush your shoulders off sounds muffled and undetailed as hell and the track is still fire but it lacks the high end clarity of everything else on the black album.

I've noticed in some of his songs like Guilty Until Proven Innocent he pops he microphone and **** and the vocals dont sound very clean.

Peace

Really? I didn't hear the album I'll have to check that out.

Interesting how top notch labels that can afford it still dont mix to the best of their abilities.

Peace

I don't think it was mixed right either but I think part of the reason was that tight small booth. Eq'ing the vocals would be a ***** I wouldn't want that task. Secondly Do'Fat or however you spell is new to the game so take it how you want to on that... The cuts that I think would probably sound cool were the ones they did at daddy's house when the old dude w/ the cig was recording them. But the one I would vote for would be the clipse cd some tracks were cool but when dude say I ain't full of **** verse they could have hit the volume button and turned that peak down. There are some more but I am not here to bust folks out on it. Oh and yeah it's possible to get pro quality outta of your house you just have to know what to shop for and have it mastered properly if needed.

Last edited:
dj spotlight said:
"Bad Boy This, Bad Boy That"

Worst mixed song of 03'

man i thought was the only who noticed that ish was mixed poorly. to me, everything sounds flat. the whole concept of the song is stupid. at the build up part of everyone's verse, you got somebody in the background saying Bad Boy this, Bad boy that, and diddy ad-libing. you can't even hear the rest of verse. i hope i explained this right

The Wu Tang Clan's vocals on Forever. It gets distorted when you bump it hella loud. But it still sounds good. I dono, what y'all think?

Raiden said:

man i thought was the only who noticed that ish was mixed poorly. to me, everything sounds flat. the whole concept of the song is stupid. at the build up part of everyone's verse, you got somebody in the background saying Bad Boy this, Bad boy that, and diddy ad-libing. you can't even hear the rest of verse. i hope i explained this right

you did. co-sign.

I thought bad boy this bb that was mixed fine...are u guys talking about musically the instruments were mixed bad? Or the vocals were done bad? I think the instruments were done fine, but if ur talking about a vocal adlib bieng placed on top of a verse that makes it confusing to hear,,,,,well I really wouldnt blame the mix on that...

j-traxx said:
jay-z brush your shoulders off sounds muffled and undetailed as hell and the track is still fire but it lacks the high end clarity of everything else on the black album.

i think it's supposed to be like that.. because timbo normally has good mixes..

Last edited:
Ludicris-Chicken and Beer.

Every song but Stand up sounds weak and the intros mix IS HORRIBLE.

Originally posted by crazyfoo
i think it's supposed to be like that.. because timbo normally has good mixes..
Timbo did the same kinda thing on Tweet - Oops, and had me thinkin wtf has happened to my tv. And i love dirt off your shoulder, that sh*t makes me bop hard but that nasty synth that comes in and out has got to go.

Man_Unlimited said:
I don't think it was mixed right either but I think part of the reason was that tight small booth. Eq'ing the vocals would be a ***** I wouldn't want that task. Secondly Do'Fat or however you spell is new to the game so take it how you want to on that... The cuts that I think would probably sound cool were the ones they did at daddy's house when the old dude w/ the cig was recording them. But the one I would vote for would be the clipse cd some tracks were cool but when dude say I ain't full of **** verse they could have hit the volume button and turned that peak down. There are some more but I am not here to bust folks out on it. Oh and yeah it's possible to get pro quality outta of your house you just have to know what to shop for and have it mastered properly if needed.

the recording in the house was pre-production. it was like a rehersal for the real studio. cuz puff didnt want them to be fluckin up cuz he had to pay those people big dough. cuz if you noticed they re-recorded everything over at daddy's house(his recording studio)

also on some of kanye west's doing, i noticed on some of his samples, his snare hits be off from the sample.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah...dust your shoulders off is suppose to be like that, thats timbos lo-fi thing he has going on there. but it does kinda throw you off when the rest of the songs on the cd are mixed better

Man_Unlimited said:
I don't think it was mixed right either but I think part of the reason was that tight small booth. Eq'ing the vocals would be a ***** I wouldn't want that task. Secondly Do'Fat or however you spell is new to the game so take it how you want to on that...

Dofat used to produce for Heavy D back in the days.

Back