Producers who CAN/CANNOT play the Piano

M

M&G Productions247

I was just listening to my iPod and had a random thought about which producers I believe can actually play the piano and producers who actually cannot.. So my questions is does it really matter if you can or not?

The first producer I think off who I believe can't play the piano is Bangladesh...

He is one of my fav. producers and knows how to create some bangers... im not trynna take anything away from producers who cannot play the piano.. it was just a thought...

what r yalls feelings?

if you are serious about making music, you are required to have music knowledge, and ability to play piano.

if not, you will not be able to cross between genres, well.

the people that reply saying you dont need that knowledge are people you most likely will never hear of professionally. guarranteed.

if you are serious about making music, you are required to have music knowledge, and ability to play piano.

if not, you will not be able to cross between genres, well.

the people that reply saying you dont need that knowledge are people you most likely will never hear of professionally. guarranteed.

point registered, but can u really guarantee something like that? im sure a few have slipped through the cracks.

please don't start this again

you can not play the piano, you know it'd be good, but you're too lazy to learn, and you need people who cosign you that it's not important

not directed to you, it's just the typical mindset behind these threads

Kanye West?

I know he doesnt compose most of his beats with all those actual synths but he was able to crossover and he started out sampling... so... I dont know if this is trueeee

Last edited by a moderator:
It all depends on your genre.
If you want to be well rounded and adaptable.. and you want to be able to make any type of beat at any time, you need music theory.
If your production consists of sampling, great drums, and maybe some simple melodies... no knowledge is really required... you can do that by ear.

I choose the former over the latter, but some will argue strongly against needed to know any theory. That's not to say you can't make great music w/o knowing theory... but I also believe that anyone serious about their craft will want to be a master of it. And to be a master, you need to understand the basics.... and that's in any field. I'm sure Einstein understood basic algebra before he started thinking about the theory of relativity. And you better believe there was a time when Kobe went to sleep with his basketball.

Last edited:
Either you learn it now..or you sample/loop your way to the top.

If you make enough buzz you simply hire ppl to play for you.

the people that slip through the cracks will probably know another instrument.

Just Blaze for example, he may know a bit about piano playing, but mainly gets a player to play for him. But he plays the drums very well.

If you look at timbaland, he was at his peak IMO when he was with Danja Handz. Shock Value 1 and FutureSexLoveSounds are amazing albums. SV2, is not that awesome.

And kanye west is mainly a uni-genre producer, i'm talking about being a Music Producer, one who produces many genres. And also, kanye came about when sampling was the thing to do, so he was able to slip through the cracks at that time, and now that hes become popular off that starting point, he is able to employ instrumentalists, such as jon brion on late registration and so forth..

I should say that RIGHT NOW is the time that you need music knowledge to further pursue a professional career in music, not the 90s or early 00s.

You need to be able to 'play piano' better than anybody on this site in order to even have the smallest chance of being dope. :)

I can't physically play the piano...my hands just don't work like that.

But I can program the hell out of a piano sequence, and make you think someone actually played it in.

Oh the wonders of computers. :)

But I can program the hell out of a piano sequence, and make you think someone actually played it in.

So you "click" all your melodies and chord progressions?

just curios...i wasn't expecting this from a guy like troup lol.

can you really?

have you ever stepped back from your music and compared it to someone who can actually throwdown?

that'll only get you so far, troup.

:cheers: That and find someone who's been playing piano all of there life just to relax.

Man this hole "clicker" vs. "self-played" story is easily worth a 10+ pages thread lol.

Last edited:
tim cant really play the keys, but he became popular in an age where that genre didnt require that skill too much.

So you "click" all your melodies and chord progressions?

just curios...i wasn't expecting this from a guy like troup lol.

I can't play the piano. But I know chords, I know progressions, I know all of that stuff from my music education. So it's not a problem for me.

Just like not every basketball coach can actually play...but he can be the best coach in the world.

Back