Producer on Creation of Big Sean's Bounce Back Beat, TM88 Controversy

biggsbeats

Are you just sharing this article or is this an article you wrote? Either way the digital era has created a minefield regarding proper and/or improper crediting of producers.

Are you just sharing this article or is this an article you wrote? Either way the digital era has created a minefield regarding proper and/or improper crediting of producers.

I wrote this article + sharing it with you guys. Spoke to him over the weekend

Nice and props to you and how long have you been writing? Do you think this is the era of too many collaborators to the point where cats want credit even if they did nothing? I do.

Nice and props to you and how long have you been writing? Do you think this is the era of too many collaborators to the point where cats want credit even if they did nothing? I do.

I don't think its about too many collab, cuz traditionally if you look back at how music was built, you needed bands and multiple instruments to play in cohesion to make music before DAWs n etc like James Brown Bands etc

But what I do think there needs to be mutual respect amongst collabs and people being accredited, like Clyde the drummer on James brown records

I agree from the band(s) perspective, but within the context of Hip Hop, cats need to drop the Khaled type collabs and focus on bringing some dopeness by holding their own, solo. Artist credits nowadays read like a Grammy nominee envelope listing and/or acceptance speech in abundance.

I agree from the band(s) perspective, but within the context of Hip Hop, cats need to drop the Khaled type collabs and focus on bringing some dopeness by holding their own, solo. Artist credits nowadays read like a Grammy nominee envelope listing and/or acceptance speech in abundance.

That would be dope, I'm working on developing my skill set as a producer starting with learning piano then bass guitar and sax

There's a lot going in to this. So much; lots of "moving parts." Hip-Hop has always been different from other types of music in regards to what constitutes and who gets credit for "producing." Same goes for producer deals in Hip-Hop, where most/many productions are sold outright, which eliminates song-writing credit and royalties. There have always been times when writers and producers have had their credits stolen or buried. There have always been "collaborations" where the person in the finalizing position chose to minimize or completely ignore collaborators' contributions, or to insert other names rather than the appropriate ones for credit. These issues are compounded by the way Hip-Hop business practices have evolved, and even more so by the issues with information dissemination and collation in the digital/"information" age.

Many people think that getting their names on a track or album as "co-producer" or "executive producer" will be a great thing. As credits themselves go, it's not necessarily bad, but those titles are not royalty-bearing, so it means nothing in terms of getting paid.

I know from personal experience that once the Internet screws up your credits, it's pretty hard to undo the stream of cascading "common knowledge."

There's a lot going in to this. So much; lots of "moving parts." Hip-Hop has always been different from other types of music in regards to what constitutes and who gets credit for "producing." Same goes for producer deals in Hip-Hop, where most/many productions are sold outright, which eliminates song-writing credit and royalties. There have always been times when writers and producers have had their credits stolen or buried. There have always been "collaborations" where the person in the finalizing position chose to minimize or completely ignore collaborators' contributions, or to insert other names rather than the appropriate ones for credit. These issues are compounded by the way Hip-Hop business practices have evolved, and even more so by the issues with information dissemination and collation in the digital/"information" age.

Many people think that getting their names on a track or album as "co-producer" or "executive producer" will be a great thing. As credits themselves go, it's not necessarily bad, but those titles are not royalty-bearing, so it means nothing in terms of getting paid.

I know from personal experience that once the Internet screws up your credits, it's pretty hard to undo the stream of cascading "common knowledge."

U def make alot of good points, there needs to be mutual respect and recognition of people's contributions. It can get blurred tho

Back