To Pimp A Butterfly, Yeezus and what's wrong with modern Hip-Hop

...and the funny thing is I never see anyone roastin Young Thug, DJ Mustard, YG, Chris Brown, Trey Songz, 2 Chainz.

But everyone got hate for Kendrick and J. Cole?

Where you living at? You gotta be blind to say you never seen those artist roasted. just to give a quick example

Where you living at? You gotta be blind to say you never seen those artist roasted. just to give a quick example

Ha I meant on this site fam. Everyone got hate for Kendrick and J.Cole, but defend DJ Mustard like some fangirls.

I live in Baltimore - contrary to popular belief on FP the only time we'll tolerate some Mustard or Drake or Chris Brown is blended in between some real hip hop out here. But these kids in the burbs think all black people walk around tryna be Rick Ross and Weezy all day.

The thing is Yeezus was classically sound as far as not only sound design but paradigm shifts and track layout and relevancy of concepts.

So if you mastered movies and music and fashion, and art, and lived a life, and know what its like to get adoration and be alpha and be a King, only THEN can you appreciate Yeezus.

Do you really believe that?

Last edited:
Do you really believe that?

Yeah theres a lot of subtle stuff going on.

First of all just what it is, on a hipster level, is extreme. Like wow he just dropped an industrial acid rap electro album with soul samples.

So just as a rap producer as a statement thats already huge. As a producer you should get the uniqueness of that. It adds to the coheision as we explore the dark parts of Kanyes ego.

Then the songs all flow together as a whole quick 40 minute perfect album. Every track is entertaining and original and extreme and rewarding. There is no filler track. Not one.

There is a line that goes through that makes each song sound better than it does on its own. The pace and energies are very meticulously placed and designed.

The content is raw and real and offers an exclusive experience and insight into someone that is very insecure and triumphant at the same time.

It gives it a very potent humanity when all those come together as a reflexion of our own ego and the human condition.

I usually use it to gauge the taste of people, if they don't get it I usually don't respect their taste in music and I know they are not really at that level of understanding art yet and haven't fully matriculated their capacity to understand the totality of the human condition.

How can one construct something if they cannot deconstruct it.

Last edited:
Yeah theres a lot of subtle stuff going on.

First of all just what it is, on a hipster level, is extreme. Like wow he just dropped an industrial acid rap electro album with soul samples.

So just as a rap producer as a statement thats already huge. As a producer you should get the uniqueness of that. It adds to the coheision as we explore the dark parts of Kanyes ego.

Then the songs all flow together as a whole quick 40 minute perfect album. Every track is entertaining and original and extreme and rewarding. There is no filler track. Not one.

There is a line that goes through that makes each song sound better than it does on its own. The pace and energies are very meticulously placed and designed.

The content is raw and real and offers an exclusive experience and insight into someone that is very insecure and triumphant at the same time.

It gives it a very potent humanity when all those come together as a reflexion of our own ego and the human condition.

I usually use it to gauge the taste of people, if they don't get it I usually don't respect their taste in music and I know they are not really at that level of understanding art yet and haven't fully matriculated their capacity to understand the totality of the human condition.

How can one construct something if they cannot deconstruct it.

You def have a unique insight and great way of breaking down music - I hope you have a blog because people will read it.

However, Baltimore is one of the hipster capitals of America especially around the MICA (Maryland Institute College of Art - one of the top art schools in the country) and hipsters ain't feelin Yeezus that tough. Friggin Dan Deacon and Beach House (Jay Rock used one of their samples for Kendrick's Money Trees) gets more love than the Kanye album and hipsters love them some Dan Deacon and Beach House.

Again, good critique on the Yeezus album and I never thought about it in the ways you described. Still never grew on me, though.

EVErything is trend now, a lane. Its like " oh what lane are you in? you do trap? you do dance? you do Boom bap? Thats the reason why HIPHOP in the modern day isn't organic...everyone wants to follow a lane instead of being organic. Even being " different" has become a lane. Innovation is dead.

Pretty much what i said about Kendrick's album in that other thread, great content
bad music.

That video was pretty much onpoint too, the art world is much worst cause
these mother****ers really be pissing on paper, painting rocks and scribbling
on canvases and calling it art. Shit is a disgrace to masters like DaVinci, who
created masterpieces.

Not only that but god bless you if you're the one that disagrees with it and
calls it shit, the hipster, liberal art crowd will eat you alive lol.

I love the older era of art, music, sports etc. not because i'm nostalgic and want to
bring it back but because there was a deep love and respect for the craft. These
guys sat down and REALLY studied the craft. They hone in on those ****ing
fundamentals, the theory, the basics.

Noone is really doing that today.

I think we give artists like Kendrick and J.Cole a hard time around here because we want to love the product they released and when we're disappointed, we respect it.

I won't talk about Young Thug until he makes a song I like. Then I'll post it and say, "I don't really like Young Thug, but this was cool". I don't know 1 lyric from that guy, all i know is he said he wouldn't smash a chick, but he'd help her douche? I've typed about him enough for a lifetime after this post.

@Zonic about your reason why you love the older era in what you stated my feelings are exactly the same. Today's new jacks wanna go 0 to 100 real quick and I ain't standing for it.

Who is resurrecting these old threads? I forgot about those albums a week after release. Most albums are forgotten within a week by me. Just too much stuff for me to check out. Only something that caters to my particular taste in a specific way will merit replay value today.

Besides, when is Kanye dropping something new? Kendrick needs to release more music now as well. People get distracted quick, which means artists are forgotten even quicker. Shoot, even Drake is overdue for a new album and he dropped two this year!

Back