To Pimp A Butterfly is a "REAL ALBUM"

Big sean caters to folks that don't seem to care all that much about lyrics[checked him out after realizing he made that diss track on the radio to some chick lol]
Jcole...hm.I kinda like his style. Feel free to correct me but he honestly feels like a mild mixture of drake and lupe fiasco with a pinch of jayz.
Kendrick lamar, only verse I heard was from dumb it down remix. Liked that much much.

I can now understand to a small degree the reasoning behind these arguments and observations :/
It's like wild said, it seems as if arguing about who's better if they can not be placed in the same category/niche kinda just for the sake of it.
Big sean's not even bad to begin with :/

Sorry......first impressions is a mfer, right? So I can never get into J.Cole the same way most of yall can't get into Rick Ross. That's how I feel.

I mean damn man.....yall might like J.Cole's singing and shit.....hell might like Kanye's singing also.....probably got excited for him and Paul collaborating like "WOW THAT WAS AWESOME"...whatever floats your boat. Then dudes sing in a way that makes me say "STFUWTBS!!!" Just me, though.

Nuff said.........

Last edited:
J.Cole's voice sounds like a pervert gospel rapper. Why I can never like him as an artist.....unless he cut the tough talk, cussing, and spit straight clean vocals.

You know that dude that be cussin and you like...."he need to be a pastor or something.....he don't sound right cussin"......

Want a prediction? J.Cole is going to be a straight gospel rapper after this next album. Then I will respect him.

Not a fan of rick ross because of his lyrics, however his voice is a different story.
I would have preferred to pimp a butterfly had ross or another person with a deep voice like that and have somebody like lupe as a contrast for most of the album or at least 1/4 the album. And some different lyrics.

3 kings song by ross/dre/jayz, pretty old but I can still listen to it. May not even be in the same category as the topic though lol.

Big Sean...the cat that's been changing his tampon all over my radio for the past 4 months crying about his ex who is already re-married? That video you posted goes hard, but I'm guuuhd...

Check out that Run the Jewels and Fashawn.

Run the Jewels is months old. Before Blasphemy by Rass. Quit thinking you know and reread my post, I said best bullshit out, not best "music", Tighten ya shoelaces. :cheers:

The fact I can mention a C minus player like Big Sean and make you all doubt what you considered an A plus album from Kendrick proves everything I posted earlier. Sorry for nikkas who missed the Cuban Linx era, i was on stage with a W on my shirt(with 50 other cats, so it doesn't make me anyone special), what do I know?

Last edited:
Lol, I expected nothing more from FPers than what I read in this thread. Good thing I talk to real musicians in real life. Y'all dudes would have me thinking I missed something or it went over my head. I know Terrace Martin. Follow him, so I've been excited about this project the entire time they've been working on it. I was disappointed with the outcome. Then in retrospect, knew nothing else could be done putting the people they put into these rooms.

The album was overproduced, over prolific, overly in depth for the sake of being called "artistic". It better win a grammy, because this is the shyt that wins grammys. If it doesn't, it's because the message was too "pro black".

With that said, strictly my opinion, I can't listen to this crap. The structure in lost in a flurry of instrumentation and unorthodox B.S. for the sake of "breaking musical boundaries". I can put it in the realm of tons of artists with more structure for more control over their end results. Sly and the Stone come to mind instantly. Raphael Saddiq. In hip hop, Tribe. Outkast. GooDie M.O.B. Hell, even Field Mob.

If this was a live studio version of a hip hop album, the equivalent of Jay's Blueprint unplugged, I'd tip my hat to it. All I can do is chuck this thread up to producers wanting something to sound "real" so bad they forgot what "real" sounds like. You guys did the same thing with Yeezus.

So while this bullshyt flies over, i'll be in here bumping Big Sean. And I don't even like Big Sean. Just the least wack shyt out right now.

The reason I'm extra harsh is because I wanted to love this album. Instead I was given something made to prove the guys involved were "real musicians" and deserved that grammy over Macklemore. We all knew that when Macklemore won it.

This message will have more longevity with you half azz fans than the music off Kendrick's album, cause right now, you're just playing his shyt to convince yourselves I'm wrong. You've been over that oversaturated weak shyt since day 3 of it's release. Be real. It will help you make "real music".

King Kunta alone shits on everything.........

HEY!!!! I'mma make you goatmouth mfers love this song....watch....

and fuuck a J.Cole album...........shit is for suckas................

yall been used to these hooked on ebonics ass rappers.....then you form a fan club to shit on REAL EBONICS......SORRY.....I can't enjoy them type rappers...

I'm waitng for someone to make a vid out of clips from Mario Bros(King Koopa)for this. When he mentions "yams" they should get a clip of Mario 2 when Mario throws veggies.

BTW, this and "Blacker the Berry" are the 2 songs I can tolerate from this album. By "tolerate", I mean, I could go thru life without ever hearing either of them again, but they're cool.

I'm waitng for someone to make a vid out of clips from Mario Bros(King Koopa)for this. When he mentions "yams" they should get a clip of Mario 2 when Mario throws veggies.

BTW, this and "Blacker the Berry" are the 2 songs I can tolerate from this album. By "tolerate", I mean, I could go thru life without ever hearing either of them again, but they're cool.

59287234.jpg

What some call "hate" i'd call "love" for better shyt.

If the album sounded like "maad city"(the song, not the whole album), "control" and "nosetelgia", hell they coulda even slipped in some "that's me right there" pop shyt... I'd be in here defending it as hard as I'm attacking WTF did not appeal to my ears. I just knew after Ab and Schoolboy's album's full of great production and ok lyrics, he was going to stick to the same script and come 10 times harder. I respect that no script was stuck to from an artistic perspective, just don't like the outcome.

Last edited:
sometimes you just dont like the music.
its okay to not agree with everyone, even people you think are cool.
in most cases it wont even make those people think less of you.

I don't follow album sales period as sales are a moot point as to what I think of any artist but this is well deserved Kendrick Lamar’s “To Pimp a Butterflyâ€￾ Goes Gold | 24urban.com but just as Kendrick surprised those who may have listened intently and/or skimmed through his major-label debut as modern technology encourages all of us to do the former, I don't expect every other artist to artistically follow suit and attempt to do what he did as we all know knockoff season in always in full effect when something reaches a fever pitch so please be aware that the mass media is now on a "conscious" rap bandwagon due to Kendrick's album, but I don't believe the hype of said bandwagoners 'cause if "they" really wanted such content they wouldn't have silenced it long ago.

Last edited:
Great message, bad music. The only listenable song on here for
me is King Kunta the rest are just flat out bad to me.

The album sounds like one long continuous song.

I never understood why rappers who make conscious music all of a
sudden forget how to actually make music.

Wouldn't it make MORE sense to put conscious lyrics on simpler,
catchier beats with good melodies and choruses so it's easier for
the listener to digest the message?

This joint has zero replay value for me, sorry.

So far I have listened to about 8 songs and.....................The shit is horrible(lol). I like the homie but this is some different shit, pure trash. Reminds me of Yeezus a little (lol).

Last edited:
So far I have listened to about 8 songs and.....................The shit is horrible(lol). I like the homie but this is some different shit, pure trash. Reminds me of Yeezus a little (lol).

Makes me wonder if Kanye West made to Pimp A butterfly would it get this much praise.

Erykah Badu already made this album back in 2008. It was called New Amerykah (4th World War).

It probably is lmao, he was seen with Badu at some award show.

For some reason once a rapper mingles with Badu their music goes way too left.

I LOVE the production on this album.
The bass lines.
The hard hitting drum lines.
The beat switches and transitions and the mood shifts that come with it.

Just an album that's rapturous to me.
Won't be everyone's deal but it's the sorta shit I'm on and it's the kinda album
I'd like to make.

production is a mess, sounds like white people version of commons "like water for chocolate"
It sounds "White" despite the metric shit ton of "Black" talent on the Album.
FutureProducers.com everybody !

Last edited:
Back