To Pimp A Butterfly is a "REAL ALBUM"

At first I was unsure if learning about hiphop culture from wikipedia was a good idea till I saw this lol.
As a person who has a genuine interest in the culture I can not seem to grasp these varying opinions on whether or not big sean's dope or a titty :/
It's all taste and what you grew up around that dictates [for the most part] the type of music you enjoy.

Somebody growing up around bongos/indian things and videogame stuff/bounce music [funny example] will prolly like those more than country and vice versa. Big freeda's guilty pleasure for instance.

Big Sean has some bangers - I'll give him that, but he's not making his music for mature adults or the well educated whether it be in the streets or classrooms. He makes music for teens who spend money on albums and the latest fad and he'll tell you that in interviews.

But, what I can't understand is people acting like **analogy** the movie The Usual Suspects is "too complex", "too convoluted", "too artsy-fartsy for the sake of being different", "disappointing", "wack", but that Expendables 3 joint is fire because it got a crazy body count and a ton of features and explosions! If Expendables 3 (Big Sean) is your thing, then cool. But don't then come and try to roast on people actually pushing genres forward (Kendrick).

You didn't like it, I get that (even the pharrell tracks?lol). But u really think its a Dilla knock off?
Seriously?

fake dilla shit is actually listenable (if you never heard a real dilla beat in your life), the rest of this pretentious crap doesn't even sound like music

King Kunta alone shits on everything.........

HEY!!!! I'mma make you goatmouth mfers love this song....watch....

and fuuck a J.Cole album...........shit is for suckas................

yall been used to these hooked on ebonics ass rappers.....then you form a fan club to shit on REAL EBONICS......SORRY.....I can't enjoy them type rappers...

Last edited:
View attachment 43736
Wow. The hate is strong in this one. Not only is it a white version of "like water for chocolate", it ain't even music.
These cats don't know music:
How Kendrick Lamar Transformed Into 'The John Coltrane of Hip-Hop' on 'To Pimp a Butterfly' | Billboard

Me and you pretty much have the same taste in music.

Like you....see you.........

you.......NOT THEM.......but you...

See you like shit like this and wish the dude would stay in this lane...

Dopest shit out in years........make me want to kick a whole in the wall......DEAD GUMMIT....UUUUHHH!!!

Last edited:
King Kunta alone shits on everything.........

HEY!!!! I'mma make you goatmouth mfers love this song....watch....

and fuuck a J.Cole album...........shit is for suckas................

yall been used to these hooked on ebonics ass rappers.....then you form a fan club to shit on REAL EBONICS......SORRY.....I can't enjoy them type rappers...

Kunta some straight James Brown flow. Cats say they dig music, but they can't break down the sources of where all this shit comes from

Oh ya, I do rock with Cole but this K Dot is on another level.

Last edited:
^^^^It's a good album.....I just can't get with J Cole......about like how I can't get with Drake.

It's like how one dude talk shit and it's cool.....but some other dudes talk shit and it just doesn't sound authentic.......

Man....don't start no shit.....it's friday......maaaaaaaaaaaaaan.....

DAMN I FEEL GOOD!!!

FRED??? FRED!!!!!!! FRED. [cue horns]

I'M MAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!! This is a real freestyle..........these rappers today belong on written tuesday.

What yall don't know....MJ was trying to imitate JB....in his head he thinks he got it right......but it ended up sounded cute....it cracks me up.....R.I.P both

Last edited:
after giving the album a few more spins today, I'm starting to feel it a lil more than before. I guess it's not that bad. headphones don't give it justice, you gotta have it on some good speakers.

Let it grow on you...........

actually my first time listening to it on headphones.......

Most of yall we're more Blue Print than Stankonia.....Blue Print was an average rap album to me, Stankonia was way ahead of it's time...it set the bar for me WAY BACK THEN. Just my opinion.

Oh yeah....I'm also that guy who said Wale's The Gifted was the best rap album over all of that over hyped super garbage ass bullshit..........go listen to that album NOW THEN.

Black music! [raise fist]

Last edited:
Props to Kendrick for coming out with something a bit left of center. It is a wack album, but at least it is wack in a different way from the stuff on the radio.

He tried to be conscious but used too much profanity. I don't understand the use for so much vulgarity and crass language. Plus he doesn't really have any storytelling ability. It was just random rhymes like 95% of the other rap songs and albums out there. I just don't like Kendrick's voice or flow. I guess that is why I never bought his last album.

I could groove to an instrumental version of this album.

so you do know "momma said" is just "4moms" over "the light" drums and bass? right? :rolleyes:
Keep it trying man. lol.
You keep putting forward these ad hominem positions that don't address whether song/ project sounds good.
If u keep taking songs out of the context of whole album then you're missing the whole point and it makes me think you haven't listened to the project from beginning to end, as a concept album should.

I don't care if they used 2 pots and a spoon, u can't tell me that is not a solid track. It may not be the best track on the album but it is respectable.
But wait, I forgot, this ain't even music according to you.

Last edited:
That's perfectly fine, just don't say it's original or that is pushing hip hop forward sonically
Did I say that? I said it was classic.
The album is not an instrumental album and it should not be analyzed like u just listening to one track without understanding how they blend together. Its like you're completely overlooking the lyrics and content of the album.

At this moment in time, it is pushing hip-hop forward as complete project. Please give me another album released by a major artist recently that combines all these musical elements mixed with lyrical content on this level.

Did I say that? I said it was classic.
The album is not an instrumental album and it should not be analyzed like u just listening to one track without understanding how they blend together. Its like you're completely overlooking the lyrics and content of the album.

At this moment in time, it is pushing hip-hop forward as complete project. Please give me another album released by a major artist recently that combines all these musical elements mixed with lyrical content on this level.

Why are you trying so hard to force the issue?

Why is it so important for you to push your personal opinion as mass opinion?

Most people think its garbage and a mis-step in a misguided direction.

Why do you need so hard for other to agree with your opinion?

Why are you trying so hard to force the issue?

Why is it so important for you to push your personal opinion as mass opinion?

Most people think its garbage and a mis-step in a misguided direction.

Why do you need so hard for other to agree with your opinion?

Why don't u mind your own business, I was not addressing you.

Actually, a lot people love the album.
I enjoy healthy debates on here. FP is not the world.

It has been critically acclaimed by many people as one of the best albums in years (Reviews for To Pimp A Butterfly by Kendrick Lamar - Metacritic) and the album sales have been impressive (AllHipHop » Kendrick Lamar Has Six Songs From “To Pimp A Butterfly” Debut On The Hot 100).

For you to say its garbage indicates you know absolutely nothing about music. But I forgot your the guy that said Kendrick or someone was recording tracks in you studio or something.

"Track 8 of his last album was produced at my house. I know the whole spirit of those people, and they don't have it in them to be heroes." https://www.futureproducers.com/for...y-yeezus-whats-wrong-modern-hip-hop-498369/2/

lol.

Why don't u mind your own business, I was not addressing you.

Actually, a lot people love the album.
I enjoy healthy debates on here. FP is not the world.

It has been critically acclaimed by many people as one of the best albums in years (Reviews for To Pimp A Butterfly by Kendrick Lamar - Metacritic) and the album sales have been impressive (AllHipHop » Kendrick Lamar Has Six Songs From “To Pimp A Butterfly” Debut On The Hot 100).

For you to say its garbage indicates you know absolutely nothing about music. But I forgot your the guy that said Kendrick or someone was recording tracks in you studio or something.

"Track 8 of his last album was produced at my house. I know the whole spirit of those people, and they don't have it in them to be heroes." https://www.futureproducers.com/for...y-yeezus-whats-wrong-modern-hip-hop-498369/2/

lol.

Yeah that was my roommate on the ad libs. That song was first created at my house on his laptop and Kendrick requested it.

I have a lot of friends in LA.

All Im saying is you sound like one of those racist dudes from the east coast that is super aggressive about his opinions like he is in some alternate world he is trying to propagate and takes it so serious because his broken ego needs it to be true.

Just your response was the perfect summation of your insecurities and try hard mentality. You fell for the trap and exposed yourself perfectly.

I assume you're really nerdy and insecure IRL>

Thats the same reason the east coast is irrelevant because you guys live in a closed circuit bubble of anger and self hatred. Your opinions are irrelevant.

Oh and by the way those same critics that like TPAB from MC probably gave Yeezus a perfect 10. But everyone I know thinks the album is garbage. And sales were expected from his momentum from the last release.

By all accounts that matter, the album is wack.

Yeah that was my roommate on the ad libs. That song was first created at my house on his laptop and Kendrick requested it.

I have a lot of friends in LA.

All Im saying is you sound like one of those racist dudes from the east coast that is super aggressive about his opinions like he is in some alternate world he is trying to propagate and takes it so serious because his broken ego needs it to be true.

Just your response was the perfect summation of your insecurities and try hard mentality. You fell for the trap and exposed yourself perfectly.

I assume you're really nerdy and insecure IRL>

Thats the same reason the east coast is irrelevant because you guys live in a closed circuit bubble of anger and self hatred. Your opinions are irrelevant.

Oh and by the way those same critics that like TPAB from MC probably gave Yeezus a perfect 10. But everyone I know thinks the album is garbage. And sales were expected from his momentum from the last release.

By all accounts that matter, the album is wack.
Just Wow.

What's the deal with the J.Cole hate?
Forest Hills is a well written and nicely produced album. It didn't stick to the usual topics and was personal, rather than political or consious (Kendrick/Common) and it was not abstract or overly complex (Pharoe/Lupe) which is good too.

Forest Hills sounded authentic as if you were having a conversation with him sitting on the porch of his house. It didn't sound like "music entertainment", it sounds like someone was thinking outloud and a studio put music behind it.

Kendrick has a risky, ambitious and good album. Even if you don't like where it takes you, you still have to appreciate where he was trying to go.

Lupe Fiasco has a good one too. Concepts and rare topics but the beats are more " normal" so I think people can absorb it better.

Back