To Pimp A Butterfly is a "REAL ALBUM"

Actually he meant that the bum is God in disguise.

Trite as a concept but even more lame that you didn't pick up on the plot line instead you're talking about hooks and money.

Aka you missed the point of the song

SMH.

You're out of your league on this one...just stop while you're behind.

Dontsay.gif

SMH.

You're out of your league on this one...just stop while you're behind.

View attachment 43730

Oh my bad you did get it, its just that you don't seem that smart overall from your other posts and you lost all credibility as far as your opinions a long time ago so thats why I assumed you just didnt get it and the other guy was hinting towards that too so don't shake your head too much there young feller I don't know how cool you think you are but lets tone it down a notch and have some respect for others my son.

Lol, I expected nothing more from FPers than what I read in this thread. Good thing I talk to real musicians in real life. Y'all dudes would have me thinking I missed something or it went over my head. I know Terrace Martin. Follow him, so I've been excited about this project the entire time they've been working on it. I was disappointed with the outcome. Then in retrospect, knew nothing else could be done putting the people they put into these rooms.

The album was overproduced, over prolific, overly in depth for the sake of being called "artistic". It better win a grammy, because this is the shyt that wins grammys. If it doesn't, it's because the message was too "pro black".

With that said, strictly my opinion, I can't listen to this crap. The structure in lost in a flurry of instrumentation and unorthodox B.S. for the sake of "breaking musical boundaries". I can put it in the realm of tons of artists with more structure for more control over their end results. Sly and the Stone come to mind instantly. Raphael Saddiq. In hip hop, Tribe. Outkast. GooDie M.O.B. Hell, even Field Mob.

If this was a live studio version of a hip hop album, the equivalent of Jay's Blueprint unplugged, I'd tip my hat to it. All I can do is chuck this thread up to producers wanting something to sound "real" so bad they forgot what "real" sounds like. You guys did the same thing with Yeezus.

So while this bullshyt flies over, i'll be in here bumping Big Sean. And I don't even like Big Sean. Just the least wack shyt out right now.

The reason I'm extra harsh is because I wanted to love this album. Instead I was given something made to prove the guys involved were "real musicians" and deserved that grammy over Macklemore. We all knew that when Macklemore won it.

Last edited:
Lol, I expected nothing more from FPers than what I read in this thread. Good thing I talk to real musicians in real life. Y'all dudes would have me thinking I missed something or it went over my head. I know Terrace Martin. Follow him, so I've been excited about this project the entire time they've been working on it. I was disappointed with the outcome. Then in retrospect, knew nothing else could be done putting the people they put into these rooms.

The album was overproduced, over prolific, overly in depth for the sake of being called "artistic". It better win a grammy, because this is the shyt that wins grammys. If it doesn't, it's because the message was too "pro black".

With that said, strictly my opinion, I can't listen to this crap. The structure in lost in a flurry of instrumentation and unorthodox B.S. for the sake of "breaking musical boundaries". I can put it in the realm of tons of artists with more structure for more control over their end results. Sly and the Stone come to mind instantly. Raphael Saddiq. In hip hop, Tribe. Outkast. GooDie M.O.B. Hell, even Field Mob.

If this was a live studio version of a hip hop album, the equivalent of Jay's Blueprint unplugged, I'd tip my hat to it. All I can do is chuck this thread up to producers wanting something to sound "real" so bad they forgot what "real" sounds like. You guys did the same thing with Yeezus.

So while this bullshyt flies over, i'll be in here bumping Big Sean. And I don't even like Big Sean. Just the least wack shyt out right now.

The reason I'm extra harsh is because I wanted to love this album. Instead I was given something made to prove the guys involved were "real musicians" and deserved that grammy over Macklemore. We all knew that when Macklemore won it.

LOL. I was wondering if u would chime in.
Can't say I'm surprised with your take, given your previous views on K Dot.
But hey everybody is entitled to their opinion. Respect.

Maaaan, thank you for saying this shit right here!! It's exactly what I been telling people since the first time I heard it. Everybody is all singing TPAB's praises, and I'm like nah...he missed the mark. It's all artsy fartsy for no reason. I mean, he barely spits verses on the damn album.

It's over produced, it's over "artsy", it's just over EVERYTHING.

I said before this dropped, "Kendrick said he's channeling Miles Davis on this one, and that worries me. Because when artists say they are channeling people like Miles Davis, George Clinton, Sly Stone and Curtis Mayfield, they usually end up doing a BAD impression of them".

And that's exactly what this album was for me.

Sure, there were some bright spots, but I'm not a fan of his Black Power persona.

At first he was the kid from compton. Now he's all Black Messiah?

(and for the record, wasn't feeling D'angelo's album either)

not only did they bootleg his style, these are actual dilla drums all over the album, like busta's lament snare on institutionalized
You didn't like it, I get that (even the pharrell tracks?lol). But u really think its a Dilla knock off?
Seriously?

Maaaan, thank you for saying this shit right here!! It's exactly what I been telling people since the first time I heard it. Everybody is all singing TPAB's praises, and I'm like nah...he missed the mark. It's all artsy fartsy for no reason. I mean, he barely spits verses on the damn album.

I said before this dropped, "Kendrick said he's channeling Miles Davis on this one, and that worries me. Because when artists say they are channeling people like Miles Davis, George Clinton, Sly Stone and Curtis Mayfield, they usually end up doing a BAD impression of them".

Sure, there were some bright spots, but I'm not a fan of his Black Power persona.

It's called growth as an artist. Marvin Gaye went from cheesy Motown Pop in the 60's to socially charged commentary in the 70's with "What's going on and other songs.I recently read where someone mentioned Curtis Mayfield as well. Curtis started as a Do Wop singer in the with his group the Impressions.

Last edited:

(and for the record, wasn't feeling D'angelo's album either)

Yes exactly guys.

He was the nerdy kid from Compton that was his thing. Black messiah? Such an odd turn.

You guys both hit it right on the mark, my feelings exactly.

I was definitely expecting more from him on this album. I've tried listening to TPAB a few times, hoping it would grow on me, but it's just not there. I enjoyed Momma and How Much A Dollar Cost, but that's all. There's too much going on in this album to say it's well put together. It's not quite the hiphop version of Black Messiah. Black Messiah was on the same consistent vibe musically throughout and made sense as a complete project. If I had to vote right now, I'd go with J. Cole for best hiphop album.

Big Sean...the cat that's been changing his tampon all over my radio for the past 4 months crying about his ex who is already re-married? That video you posted goes hard, but I'm guuuhd...

Check out that Run the Jewels and Fashawn.

Maaaaaan....FUCCC all y'all contrarian-ass, weak taste in music-ass, Big Sean is in my top 5-ass niggas. Y'all saying Kendrick taking styles like all y'all other favorite wack rappers and producers ain't carbon copies of someone else. Like Big Sean, the softest rapper out the D, the rapping equivalent of menstrual fluid, wasn't copying MDTF. Ugghhhhh, double ugghhhh. What a nigga got to do to get his credit, fill up his album with trap bangers and whiny, downtempo techno tracks crying about strippers and shit? I bet y'all niggas tuck before you leave the house.

I don't get it, really.
Cats on here like they ain't got no appreciation for good music.

Its one thing to say i don't like it and don't mess with it, but it another thing say its knockoff, or overproduced, or a bunch of hype.
One cat said K Dot wasn't hardly rapping on the album, another said something to the effect that he knows musicians and that meant something.
One dude keeps talking about Kanye all out of context.

I say its classic, but I ask those who think its not a quality project to show or play me some examples all these perceived flaws.

I don't get it, really.
Cats on here like they ain't got no appreciation for good music.

Its one thing to say i don't like it and don't mess with it, but it another thing say its knockoff, or overproduced, or a bunch of hype.
One cat said K Dot wasn't hardly rapping on the album, another said something to the effect that he knows musicians and that meant something.
One dude keeps talking about Kanye all out of context.

I say its classic, but I ask those who think its not a quality project to show or play me some examples all these perceived flaws.

Right.
Best hiphop album of the last two years-hands down.
Just compare the quality, play any mainstream hiphop album against TPAB and its no contest-the quality of the production, the lyricism, the structure...c'mon. I'm not knockin' niggas for it not being their cup 'o tea and shit, but a straight comparison--all them other bummy ass albums lose. I don't know what to say-its like 1992 all over again and these niggas choosin' Mo' Money over Malcolm X--wtf?

Last edited:
At first I was unsure if learning about hiphop culture from wikipedia was a good idea till I saw this lol.
As a person who has a genuine interest in the culture I can not seem to grasp these varying opinions on whether or not big sean's dope or a titty :/
It's all taste and what you grew up around that dictates [for the most part] the type of music you enjoy.

Somebody growing up around bongos/indian things and videogame stuff/bounce music [funny example] will prolly like those more than country and vice versa. Big freeda's guilty pleasure for instance.

Back