people who cant take critics

bigakizzle

bout ta come fo it bitces
peep this out fellow producers...i got this homeboy and we go way back...to our military days...back in the day before all this sh it was cheap, we had a studio set up in my dorm room. would bang out songs all the time...now i aint one to toot my own horn, but i fancy myself as a writer and my delivery is on point. most of the hot songs we came up with back then was my concept and ideas. well we both got out and went our own ways. he went to one of the recording schools and interned at stankionia for a while, while i scoured future producers and sites like it for my knowledge. so we got back in contact about 2 years ago and he still choppin away at the music thing. only thing is his music aint that good. all his chops be off and really it sound like a whole lotta noise. so he sent me this new song last night and instead of butchering it like i could have, i searched for the positives and gave some suggestions on how he could make it better. he hit the ceiling and went into this long rant about how thats the problem with black folks yada yada yada...so what do you do with a person like this. any critisim you give him, he get offended, when in all acutality, his music sucks!!! suggestions?

Last edited:
Let him learn the hard way. When people hear it and dislike it to the point their dissin him, he'll learn to take constructive criticism. In short: Let him get booed and he'll learn

The first question is- did he actually ASK YOU for a critique?

If he just said here's what I'm working on and you suddenly come back with "That's nice, but here's how it could be better..."

Delivery is everything and there might be an unspoken rivalry.

so what do you do with a person like this.

Don't comment on his music. Apparently you two no longer see eye to eye and he does not value your opinion. Stick to the stuff that made you friends to begin with.

I see it go both ways. People will walk into a studio and hear an track and go "That needs something" yeah, how about the other six tracks that are muted...

I've stopped making beats with anyone else in the room.
You should... You shouldn't...even to the point of turning on a piece of equipment and a rapper saying No, don't use that, you should do the bassline with the...who...says I was making a bassline? Stop trying to read my mind. I ask them, can I look over your shoulder while you write your rhymes and add my input AS YOU WRITE down your initial thoughts?

You have to really have a keen grasp on that persons style to give them suggestions on how to bring out THEIR STYLE more. Usually, it's always advice to sound more like you or make something you would like. Usually you have to hear a body of tracks before you can figure out where somebody is trying to go creatively.

But whatever. I've seen so many forum meltdowns that started by a cat asking What y'all think about my beats? and expected dudes to treat him like Mozart II.

Just be honest... treat people who you want to be treated. U seem like a good friend so in a nice way try to explain to him just how you told us about how u aint feelin his music like before. And if he can't take if then f*** it. Let someone else tell him

Peace

thanks for your responses...@griffin avid...i feel what you saying, but by the same token, if you doing any kind of art, drawing, singing, producing, and you let other people see/hear it, then you open your self up to critiques. solicited or unsolicited. if its done in the vein of tryin to help you, you shouldnt disdain the suggestions. you feel me. especially if we supposed to be trus. so insted of not commentin on his ****...would it be more appropriate to tell him man this is sh it!!! cuz in all actuality, after you listen to his **** you have a feeling of, damn...there go 3 minutes i will never get back...

Here's what I think has happened since he resorted to the "black folks" thing.

You weren't the only one that said something negative about his music. He's probably been hearing it from other people but needed some kind of reassurance that he wasn't wasting his time. You didn't give him the validation he needed so he felt at liberty (because he knows you on a deeper level than most) to go off. Like friends do sometimes. It hurt him. If it were somebody else he wouldn't be able to go off because it's not appropriate. The word "folks" means somebody else other than you felt he needed work.

People on FP do the same thing. Most people only want to hear good things about their music. When people pointed out specific things about my music, I tried to change it because I guess that was what they were hearing (I only tried to change it if I thought it was a negative in my eye). It had to be a consistent knock though, not just some pissed off person jumping up and clowning.

You hurt that dudes feelings because you felt at liberty to tell him. If it were somebody else, you might not have said anything. Yeah, the best advice is to let him fall on his face on his own. Don't tell him it's bangin' though, lol.

^^ Well said. Some say ART is about having a thick enough skin to survive your impact. Fans tend to like or not like it. Peers tend to want to tell you what to do with your art.

I say be honest. In the end he'll respect you more. When he gets over the hurt- he'll appreciate your opinion. And probably come back with better material.

Dudes don't really want your opinion. They want a fair listen. I'm trying to think of something that is so perfect you can't say anything about it... No, I can't think of anything.

Ultimate album? Should have had more songs.
Better album cover....better name for album.

The best critique(s) is truly when you can suggest an exact fix.
Nothing worse when someone says you coulda done something differnt and you ask 'like what?' and they say I don't know.

I know a cat that uses popular songs as a reference to every idea he has. You can say "That bassline is getting swallowed by the kick drums and pitched 808" He'll name a popular song that uses pitched 808s to justify his choices.

Or the guy that turns everything back on you. You say: Hey, when the rap verse kicks in, those drums get lost. Either turn them up and/or use heavier drums. He says: Yo, that other beat you made...those drums didn't bang! You make some beats without heavy drums...so maybe it's supposed to be that way. Why every track gotta have drums dat bang?! My girl's feelin it. I'm sayin'...

calm-down.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/55/186073507_ee8ca04d7b.jpg?v=0

Last edited:
Back